Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:25 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

I was out tonight and it was jam packed. What I found was most of the
people there were tourists from places like DC/NYC/LA.

Regardless that it was a 93 degree night, the streets were chock block full of people everywhere I went.

Everyone I talked to was raving about how great Austin is. You get a sense that Austin is like California was in the 1950's. It is the place to be, to move to, to just be associated with.

This is even before F1 is coming. Imagine what will happen then. We are destined to be the next NYC.

I was flirting with some high caliber chicks that had their own bodyguard. That is usually what you see in LA or NYC.

Nothing can stop us now. I both relish the fact that we are the most desirable city in America but I also fear what will happen to us once the crowds come here. We know the roads won't be expanded, but I guess we'll just keep building skyscrapers up.

One thing's for sure, this is the place to be.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
Why was downtown packed? What was going on today in Austin?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
You should have told those women that they're not all that and that having the bodyguard is just giving away free money. Plus, it's very anti-Austin.

(And, yes, I WOULD say it to them because it needs to be said. If not a good Samaritan off the street, then who?)

Old 07-17-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
You should have told those women that they're not all that and that having the bodyguard is just giving away free money. Plus, it's very anti-Austin.

(And, yes, I WOULD say it to them because it needs to be said. If not a good Samaritan off the street, then who?)
You got a point there. Austin is the last place you'd need a bodyguard. I remember a few years back like in 06, my cousin had just gotten off of work and met up with his then-roommate. They're hanging out in front of a bar and my cousin notices one short guy standing with them who looked familiar. He takes a second glance and realizes its Sam Rockwell smiling back at him. My cousin doesn't freak out and just nods his head nonchalantly so he wouldn't come off as some crazed fan. Anyway, not to name drop but this is just a great example of the kind of town Austin is... celebrities would never feel the need to bring in bodyguards with them. And if they do, they're just drawing all the attention to themselves even more.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:40 AM

43 posts, read 78,163 times
I suspect this post may have been made in a post-drunken revelry state

No doubt Austin will continue to grow, and is one of the trendiest spots in the nation, but I think more realistic goals would be cracking the top 10 U.S. cities (it is currently #14, and would have to overtake San Fran, Indy, and Jacksonville, which I think could easily happen). It's still a LONG ways off from being the biggest city in Texas - I don't see it passing Houston or the Big D even in the next decade, but perhaps San Antonio. And as far as metro areas, the Greater Austin area, despite it's impressive sprawl over the last few decades, is still at #35. I don't see F-1 as adding to the population growth - it will just bring in more tourists. Look at Vegas and all the entertainment to be had there -- it will always be a major tourist destination, but never a major city.

I have been downtown Austin and it is nearly always "hopping" on the weekends, but you have to realize that it is still a fairly small geographic area where the action is. One of the cool things about Austin is its dense core - it seems that everyone is pulled downtown on the weekends, there is a pull to the center of the city at night, and it makes it fun if you are looking for a "buzz" and that bustling feeling. By contrast, here in Phoenix, the city core is not the epicenter at all - most of the suburbs like Tempe, Scottsdale, Mesa, Chandler, Glendale, etc. all have their own scenes and people tend to stay in their own areas for dining/entertainment. I do envy the active downtown of Austin, but not all cities are like that. And as the sprawl continues in Austin, I wonder if the hangouts won't spread out as well - it has already become a bit of a pain to park downtown and it's not always easy to just pop in somewhere for a few drinks. When I lived there, I was close enough to bike downtown, but most people in the metro area don't have that option. For Austin to continue to grow as it has, I think the roads and expressways need to be augmented, and that will be a major difficulty from what I've seen.

I'm all for civic pride, and Austin has that in spades from it's denziens, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves. I love Austin for a lot of reasons, but I'm not sure I'd feel the same way if it does get as big as some are hoping...

Last edited by sagewithaflaw; 07-17-2011 at 07:03 AM..

Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
While I love Austin, love living here, think it has much to offer etc., it will never be as big as NYC or Los Angeles.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:27 AM

970 posts, read 1,872,722 times
I think Austin is going through a "growth spurt." Just like Houston did in the '70s and Dallas did in the '80s......not that those cities aren't still growing, but "all of a sudden" people from all over the country / world were moving in.

I can remember coming to visit familly here back 15 - 16 years ago. We flew into the old "rinky dink" airport, and Austin was still a smallish town. At that time, my cousins lived in a (podunk) place I'd never heard of............Round Rock, and my Houston friends questioned why I would ever want to live in a small town, since I'm really a Big City girl.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:51 AM

yeah i don't think Austin will ever even reach 1.5 million in population. not even in 30 or 40 years.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:49 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
Tourists? Dude you must be drunk. Besides SXSW and ACL, what possible reason could anyone have to come to Austin besides get drunk on 6th street? Float on the rapidly sinking Lake Travis in the 100 degree heat? Count the pickups and Tahoes driving by?? Ok sir, time to sober up!!

And just for the record. California will ALWAYS be the place to be. There is no reason to live anywhere else. Sure, the economy sucks now, but do you really think the worlds 8th largest ecomony won't bounce back?? The moving to Texas "fad" will eventually come to an end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was out tonight and it was jam packed. What I found was most of the
people there were tourists from places like DC/NYC/LA.

Regardless that it was a 93 degree night, the streets were chock block full of people everywhere I went.

Everyone I talked to was raving about how great Austin is. You get a sense that Austin is like California was in the 1950's. It is the place to be, to move to, to just be associated with.

This is even before F1 is coming. Imagine what will happen then. We are destined to be the next NYC.

I was flirting with some high caliber chicks that had their own bodyguard. That is usually what you see in LA or NYC.

Nothing can stop us now. I both relish the fact that we are the most desirable city in America but I also fear what will happen to us once the crowds come here. We know the roads won't be expanded, but I guess we'll just keep building skyscrapers up.

One thing's for sure, this is the place to be.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:53 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Sure, the economy sucks now, but do you really think the worlds 8th largest ecomony won't bounce back??
Um, Rome used to be an empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin