Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,540 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My wife and I recently moved back to Austin after being away for 10 years with our new baby - my wife's family is here and so we moved back to be close to them.

The Austin I once knew seems to be long gone... I'm not going to whine and complain, but I could really use some advice from those that have been here awhile now and seen the change through the 2000's. We rent a house right now in Travis Heights and really want to get out. I really can't believe how much SoCo has changed... and we don't really dig it. Can anyone recommend neighborhoods now where you can find a decent and unique house that has been taken care of and not pay an arm and a leg? What I've seen in East Austin is now terribly overpriced and boringly quasi-hip. North? West? We recently checked out a rental house in Delwood/Windsor Park and it was lovely... and I liked Nomad's down the street... but rent was just too much for us at almost $1600 a month. I would almost prefer at this point to be out of the "hip" areas as I don't find them very hip any more... I would just like a nice neighborhood with some local shops/bars and good down-to-earth locals. Is the Delwood/Windsor Park area a good place to keep looking or any other recommendations? I work downtown, but I don't mind driving a bit if I need to. Thanks in advance, all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 01:57 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,657,194 times
Good Luck can't help ya since I am in the burbs but my mom would say Austin changed way earlier than the 90s since she is from Austin. Hope ya find what ya need.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 PM

Yea, my wife is from here and says the same thing... I still like to think there HAS to be a few neighborhoods out there somewhere that are 15-20 minutes from downtown that are diverse, reasonably-priced, and have friendly/interesting locals and neighborhood joints. If Austin has lost ALL of that, that's one big 'ol suck.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,115,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhodgson0739 View Post
Yea, my wife is from here and says the same thing... I still like to think there HAS to be a few neighborhoods out there somewhere that are 15-20 minutes from downtown that are diverse, reasonably-priced, and have friendly/interesting locals and neighborhood joints. If Austin has lost ALL of that, that's one big 'ol suck.

Well, Delwood/Windsor Park, and French Place/Maplewood is about as close as you can get, but if $1600 is too much rent for you for a house . . . that's going to be a problem.

You could try Brentwood/Crestview but your price point will be hard. You can probably do it Skyview/Highland but there will be a lack of neighborhood joints to walk too (will be a few, along Airport Blvd. and in Crestview Commons. )

Another option is 78745, south of Ben White, more likely to find your price point.

good luck!

Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,584,963 times
Quote:
Those things may be hard to find in the price range you're listing. Yes, Austin has changed, many people have moved here, and the type of neighborhood you're describing is in high demand, so naturally prices have gone up.

The more reasonable neighborhoods price-wise tend to be less "unique" and farther from downtown--avoiding that long commute is something people are willing to pay for. My advice would be to sit down and prioritize your wants in order. Would you rather have a smaller apartment but live in the sort of neighborhood you're looking for, or still go for a house and find something more in the suburbs?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Great, thanks all for the replies... I can't believe prices have gone that far up... totally crazy. Seems like there is a lot of price-gouging here nowadays but i guess that goes with the territory when a city is booming as Austin is right now... just doesn't seem warranted, but I guess others would disagree with me!

Guess we'll just keep looking and hope to luck out on something... thanks!

Brad

Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Great, thanks all for the replies... I can't believe prices have gone that far up... totally crazy. Seems like there is a lot of price-gouging here nowadays but i guess that goes with the territory when a city is booming as Austin is right now... just doesn't seem warranted, but I guess others would disagree with me!
Doesn't seem warranted? If people are willing to pay it, then that's the fair market price. Clearly a lot of people (including you and me) see the desirability of Austin and want to live here, with more coming every day. There are cheaper places to live in smaller towns around the country, or you can pay what the market deems fair for living in Austin. Good luck. I hope you find something that will work.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:41 PM

970 posts, read 1,874,459 times
Quote:

Guess we'll just keep looking and hope to luck out on something... thanks!

Brad
You were gone for 10 years! Think about how many people moved here in that span, and how many of THOSE people want to be close to the "action." I agree in making a list of what is most important to you, and where you are willing to make your compromises. Good Luck!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 PM

I'm not saying Austin doesn't warrant the prices; obviously it does or it wouldn't be such a popular city these days... it doesn't matter if I think Austin is worth it or not now as that's a very subjective analysis. I'm saying most of the homes I've seen since we've been back aren't worth what people are trying to rent them out for with the condition they are kept in. It's how the market works, I understand that... but it doesn't mean it's not still kind of a crock.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying Austin doesn't warrant the prices; obviously it does or it wouldn't be such a popular city these days... it doesn't matter if I think Austin is worth it or not now as that's a very subjective analysis. I'm saying most of the homes I've seen since we've been back aren't worth what people are trying to rent them out for with the condition they are kept in. It's how the market works, I understand that... but it doesn't mean it's not still kind of a crock.
Nope, it's not a crock at all. The price of a house (rental or otherwise) isn't just about the bricks and mortar. It has everything to do with location. There's a reason a house in NYC is worth more than one in Houston, or a house in San Francisco is worth more than one in Iowa. More people consider those locations desirable and are willing to pay the price.

If you want more house for your money, I suggest you move out to the middle of nowhere in the Midwest or South--some tiny town where the prices are very low. You'll quickly understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin