Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I fear the powers that be might be tempted to dip into the general revenue fund to shore up the Cintra roads. Gas taxes and tolls are the best way to pay for roads b/c they are directly tied to the amount of driving one does while property and sales taxes have no such correlation.

And yes it does cost ~$30 for a big rig to use the toll road but there is good reason for this. A 60,000 to 80,000 lb vehicle does substantially more damage to roadways and bridges than most people's 2,500 to 6,000 lb. car or truck.
But 130 was built and sold to us specifically to get the trucks bypassing Austin via I-35. $30 is crazy and that was supposed to attract the 18 wheelers ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
They will hand the project completion off to another contractor - probably the next bidder. It'll delay it for a while of course.
Not quite..from my link (Hurt is TxDOT):

"It will be the responsibility of a bonding company to bring on a replacement and finish the job, which was to have been done by December. How long a delay will this cause? “Couldn’t even make an educated guess,” Hurt said."

Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But 130 was built and sold to us specifically to get the trucks bypassing Austin via I-35. $30 is crazy and that was supposed to attract the 18 wheelers ?
I'm not aware of the number crunching that went into it but highways are expensive: right of way acquisition, environmental studies, utility relocation, engineering all happen before building is even started.

And $30 for someone getting to work is one thing but $30 as a business expense measured against the wages of the driver and the cost of diesel may be justifiable. But yes it has been disappointing the take rate of trucks on SH 130. I guess that's why that swapping tolls between IH-35 and SH 130 idea got such a good reception.

I think the bond people are trying to be optimistic for SH 130 seeing increased volumes in the coming years so it can justify it's existence. That and the completion down to IH-10 could increase flow dramatically.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
And $30 for someone getting to work is one thing but $30 as a business expense measured against the wages of the driver and the cost of diesel may be justifiable.

$30 could also be the difference between making money and not, profit margins are usually quite slim. Also keep in mind that the drive is about 18 miles longer and at 9 MPG or less the extra fuel cost easily adds another $10 or so, plus Google says it takes 10 extra minutes to drive 130 vs 35, so the question is really, why would someone pay $50 more to drive 18 miles farther and wast an extra 10 minutes to do so...They will not!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:23 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
plus Google says it takes 10 extra minutes to drive 130 vs 35
heh, not during rush hour - 130 is much faster then, I am pretty sure. Also, in rush hour, you will get much better mpg on 130 than in downtown traffic.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:51 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
heh, not during rush hour - 130 is much faster then, I am pretty sure. Also, in rush hour, you will get much better mpg on 130 than in downtown traffic.
I imagine the speed would burn gas faster. Rush hour traffic has you idling most of the time. Says the guy with a 1 hour commute when UT is in session.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
I imagine the speed would burn gas faster. Rush hour traffic has you idling most of the time. Says the guy with a 1 hour commute when UT is in session.
Ummm...really? Yeah, it burns gas faster, but less of it per mile, as in miles per gallon. Most cars 'cruise' most efficiently at the low end of their top gear, which is about 50 or so mph these days, I would guess. However, acceleration (and deceleration) are killers on gas mileage. Anytime you hit your brakes, you are shedding lost work in the form of heat.....

I have not done the math, but it is quite possible that the $30 is break even (or near so) for trucks driving through/past Austin during rush hour.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:19 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
If the trucks aren't using it, it's time to lower the toll and see what price will bring them on. As long as the $ they charge covers a little bit beyond the increased maintenance because of 18 wheel usage, they will be better off. It's clear that the economic model the planners were relying on is flawed.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:31 AM

Last year the toll for 18 wheelers was $26 and they weren't using it.

Truck relief on I-35? Maybe a little
"I-35 still has more than 20 times as many big rigs on it as Texas 130. Texas Department of Transportation officials, in a Getting There column several months ago, said they could legally lower truck tolls but weren't actively pursuing it. Now they are."

Here's an oldie but goodie going back to 1998.
TX-130 TX-45 Loop-1 EXt US-183A Zachry-HNTB propose Austin-San Antonio pike | TOLLROADSnews

Recall that the plans for 130 had it going the MoKan route. But subdivisions sprung up along that easement and during the hearings there was much outcry and 130 kept getting moved further east. I recall articles saying the further east it goes the less traffic will be on it because there is a point where it's too far out of the way.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Last year the toll for 18 wheelers was $26 and they weren't using it.

Truck relief on I-35? Maybe a little
"I-35 still has more than 20 times as many big rigs on it as Texas 130. Texas Department of Transportation officials, in a Getting There column several months ago, said they could legally lower truck tolls but weren't actively pursuing it. Now they are."

Here's an oldie but goodie going back to 1998.
TX-130 TX-45 Loop-1 EXt US-183A Zachry-HNTB propose Austin-San Antonio pike | TOLLROADSnews

Recall that the plans for 130 had it going the MoKan route. But subdivisions sprung up along that easement and during the hearings there was much outcry and 130 kept getting moved further east. I recall articles saying the further east it goes the less traffic will be on it because there is a point where it's too far out of the way.

Pardon me for the hijack, but the media-created fiction that was "MoKan" has always bugged me.

There never was any such animal. The Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad was always called the "Katy".

For some reason, media ignoramuses back in the '80s corrupted the many decades old nickname.

Not an attack on HappyTexan, just trying to straighten out a misnomer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin