Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:40 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,714 times

Advertisements

Austin has become too crowded, too damn hot, too expensive, and too conservative in the past 20 years that I've lived here for my personal tastes. That is why, in two years when I retire, I'm heading some where else. I do not mind being house bound for a few months because of weather, but I would rather be confined looking at beautiful snow covered scenery and so I'll be heading north. I've been researching areas for the past year and a half and there are many that have a lower cost of living than Austin and more "geezer-friendly" than Austin. Although many have state income tax, they also often exempt Social Security and some pension plans making it almost the same as a no income tax state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 AM

48 posts, read 100,395 times
In north Austin I had two neighbors who were retired and seemed to be living out the American dream,, and another Neighbor who was semi retired and seemd a bit miffed things handn't quite panned out,, which I'd attribute more to them sucking at life than anything Austin threw at them. Other than that I never see anybody over 35, but that's probably because I'm either in South Austin (I live next to St. Edwards University currently) or dowtown and my life schedule is that of a 28 year old 20 year old so I probably just don't cross paths with Austin's older populations.
Although I never encounter it, I could imagine that retirment here might work out well if you lived in the rural areas around Austin. Texas rural life allows for many people to remain vital and independent into their 80's. During low traffic hours (Or as many Austinites call it "Thanksgiving Day") you can still get to the heart of Austin with ease from the suburbs, enjoy all Austin has to offer, and have a COL that is very decent compared to other cities.
It might be scary to move south and become old and not have the support net you once had 'home', but you have to weigh that against having all those same problems a decade earlier by staying in the northeast. Many people I knew in PA who were turning 30 already showed wrinkles because of the "there's nothing to do, lets get wasted" culture of Scranton. Austin is a fountain of youth to me, as young as I am. I had to fight against the grain to be active and healthy in PA, but in TX it just comes with the territory.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:10 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunkmonky View Post
In north Austin I had two neighbors who were retired and seemed to be living out the American dream,, and another Neighbor who was semi retired and seemd a bit miffed things handn't quite panned out,, which I'd attribute more to them sucking at life than anything Austin threw at them. Other than that I never see anybody over 35, but that's probably because I'm either in South Austin (I live next to St. Edwards University currently) or dowtown and my life schedule is that of a 28 year old 20 year old so I probably just don't cross paths with Austin's older populations.
That's because the 65+ year old retirees in South Austin look like they are about 35 years old.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 PM

48 posts, read 100,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
That's because the 65+ year old retirees in South Austin look like they are about 35 years old.
HAHA! I actually probably run into people who are much older than I think all the time. I ran into a guy who was 39 and for over a year of biking with him weekly, I just always thought he was my age. I was only wrong by a decade.... One thing Austin has changed for me is the Northern 'fear or 30'. I had friends basically break down and cry about turning 30 in PA. I'm less than 2 years away and couldn't care less. What's so scary about 30 if Austins 40 year olds are doing double centuries?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
I'm with TerryDactyls...After more than 25 years, we are out of here when we retire. It has gotten way too crowded and we don't want to do these endless summers anymore.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
Austin has become too crowded, too damn hot, too expensive, and too conservative in the past 20 years that I've lived here for my personal tastes. That is why, in two years when I retire, I'm heading some where else. I do not mind being house bound for a few months because of weather, but I would rather be confined looking at beautiful snow covered scenery and so I'll be heading north. I've been researching areas for the past year and a half and there are many that have a lower cost of living than Austin and more "geezer-friendly" than Austin. Although many have state income tax, they also often exempt Social Security and some pension plans making it almost the same as a no income tax state.
But do you really want to shovel your driveway out when you want to get groceries as you age? I agree that looking at a snow covered landscape is beautiful, but you still have to drive in it and it still needs to be cleared from your driveway. Just something to consider.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunkmonky View Post
HAHA! I actually probably run into people who are much older than I think all the time. I ran into a guy who was 39 and for over a year of biking with him weekly, I just always thought he was my age. I was only wrong by a decade.... One thing Austin has changed for me is the Northern 'fear or 30'. I had friends basically break down and cry about turning 30 in PA. I'm less than 2 years away and couldn't care less. What's so scary about 30 if Austins 40 year olds are doing double centuries?
Most people think I'm like 15 years younger than I am. Another result of the Austin fountain of youth...

Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
But do you really want to shovel your driveway out when you want to get groceries as you age? I agree that looking at a snow covered landscape is beautiful, but you still have to drive in it and it still needs to be cleared from your driveway. Just something to consider.
I have to agree with this. Snow can be beautiful, but it can also be dirty, slushy and dangerous. I grew up in central Wisconsin. I shoveled a lot of snow, and I have no desire to repeat that. Plus, the mosquitoes are terrible in the summer - much worse than Austin. I'm sure there are lots of nice places to retire to, but I just wouldn't go for snow country.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:13 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Although I'm a big fan of South Austin, I've got to say that a lot of the 30 somethings in South Austin look to be about 50+ years old.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:35 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
That is not an issue. We had a guy who was the local mortician plow our driveway. He worked part-time using his 4-wheel drive with a plow to earn a few extra bucks. Getting someone to shovel your driveway is not an issue in the north. Also, there are kids willing to do it for a few extra bucks. Furthermore, many elders will get their driveway done as a courtesy because of their age. Also, depending on where you're at "up north" you won't need to shovel out all the time. And, there is no fountain of youth...either you have the genes or you don't. Well, or lot's of moolah and a good plastic surgeon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin