U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 19,692 times

Advertisements

I'm driving form Southern California to Austin in a couple of weeks. I know I will make it to at least El Paso on the first day, but I would really like to go a bit farther than that.

I'm looking at a map and it doesn't look like there is a whole lot on the 10 after El Paso.

Has anyone here ever done that drive?

If I drive past El Paso, I just want to make sure that I can find a decent hotel. I'm a female traveling alone, so I want to make sure I can find a safe place to stop. I will have my dog with me, but he's on the smaller side, so he won't be much protection!

Any info from someone who has done the drive would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 PM

9,247 posts, read 25,102,533 times
There's really not much past el paso for a good ways. It would be smarter to stop in el paso, in my opinion.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:36 PM

8,941 posts, read 15,754,073 times
Please also consider the temps could easily be well north of 100 degrees by mid-afternoon. The earlier you start, the better, IMO. We'll be headed east around that time and I remember plenty of flat/exploded tires along I-20 when we had the super hot weather in August. Adios.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,168,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
There's really not much past el paso for a good ways. It would be smarter to stop in el paso, in my opinion.
Yes, and Southern Cal to El Paso is a looooonnng drive. You'll probably be glad to stop by then. The next day's drive to Austin should be about 9 hrs I think.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:43 PM

1,313 posts, read 3,810,135 times
Yep, drove out here from the Bay Area in 2006 (April) and took I-10 the whole way. I drove by myself and it took 3.5 days altogether. I had stopped in New Mexico on my 2nd day and then drove all the way to Junction City, TX on my 3rd day, and stayed the night there, before heading out to my final stop in Georgetown.

The hottest part of the trip was Arizona - whew!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 19,692 times
I never even considered exploding tires from the heat! I do recall now, though, that a coworker once told me part of his tire melted when he was in Arizona!

I'm plan to leave California about 3:30 am, so part of my first day it will still be dark. Of course, if I plan to make it to El Paso on the first day then part of it will have to be in the heat!

I think I might take this advice and stop in El Paso on the first day and wake up really early again the next so I don't have to drive all day in the heat, or end up by myself in the middle of nowhere between the two cities.

I'm visiting family that I haven't seen in a very long time so I know I'll be quite eager to get there!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:25 PM

8,941 posts, read 15,754,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy616 View Post
I never even considered exploding tires from the heat! I do recall now, though, that a coworker once told me part of his tire melted when he was in Arizona!

I'm plan to leave California about 3:30 am, so part of my first day it will still be dark. Of course, if I plan to make it to El Paso on the first day then part of it will have to be in the heat!

I think I might take this advice and stop in El Paso on the first day and wake up really early again the next so I don't have to drive all day in the heat, or end up by myself in the middle of nowhere between the two cities.

I'm visiting family that I haven't seen in a very long time so I know I'll be quite eager to get there!
By all means, give the vehicle a good 'once-over' and make sure the tires are in good shape and properly inflated(don't forget the spare!). The heat can wreak havoc on a vehicle and you surely don't want to be on the side of the road when it's above 100 degrees! A couple gallons of drinkable water stashed in the car couldn't hurt.

The heat builds even after 3PM and it doesn't really cool off until well after sundown; so whatever driving you can handle before mid-afternoon will be to your advantage.

Who knows? Maybe we'll get lucky and have normal(mid-90s) high temps during August...Tee hee...snicker, snicker...NOT bloody likely!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 20,742,216 times
I've done the drive from El Paso to Austin many times. Since most of it is on I-10 with an 80 MPH speed limit once you leave El Paso County (I think that's where it starts, IIRC), you can make good time.

Your first stop after El Paso where you can get gas and a place to stay is Van Horn, and while very small, the basics are there. That's another 120 miles from El Paso, so if you can handle all of that driving, it's a possibility.

But.....I agree that stopping in El Paso would be a better option than going on past that the first day.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:27 PM

16,791 posts, read 45,805,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy616 View Post
I'm driving form Southern California to Austin in a couple of weeks. I know I will make it to at least El Paso on the first day, but I would really like to go a bit farther than that.

I'm looking at a map and it doesn't look like there is a whole lot on the 10 after El Paso.

Has anyone here ever done that drive?

If I drive past El Paso, I just want to make sure that I can find a decent hotel. I'm a female traveling alone, so I want to make sure I can find a safe place to stop. I will have my dog with me, but he's on the smaller side, so he won't be much protection!

Any info from someone who has done the drive would be greatly appreciated!
El Paso to Austin is about 9.5 hours, 576 miles.

Don't be afraid to stop and spend the night in El Paso, the city has a very low crime rate (lower than most cities in TX) and you will be perfectly safe staying at any major chain hotel along the freeway. I used to drive 800-900 miles non-stop, 14-15 hours, when I was in my 20's, but learned after a few of those trips that I had to spend a full day afterwards sleeping and recovering, so I stopped doing that.

Not sure where you mean by Southern CA, but Palm Springs, which is in the middle of So.CA, to El Paso is 700 miles, 11 hours of driving. That is a lot when you are doing all of the driving yourself.

Quote:
Edit: Van Horn might be fine, I don't know anything about it, I was thinking of Fort Stockton as the next best stop.
If you get to El Paso and still feel like continuing on, consider Fort Stockton as your next stop. That is 938 miles, almost 15 hours of driving. You will probably feel like **** the next day if you push yourself to drive that far, and still have another long drive ahead of you. If you decide to do that, there are some decent places to stay in Ft. Stockton close to the freeway, such as this almost new Holiday Inn Express, 2915 West Dickinson Boulevard, Fort Stockton, TX 79735, (432) 336- 3421   (877) 863-4780.

I have driven from Phoenix, AZ to Austin, TX numerous times. El Paso is about half way, with 7.5 hours the first day and 9 hours the next day. The last time I drove that trip, I was expecting to stay overnight in El Paso, but we had rented a Lincoln Continental for the trip, we had no choice, we had to haul two large parrots in cages back with us, so needed a really big back seat. We found the car to be such a comfortable ride, much to my surprise we kept on driving all the way into Austin, and did not feel like it was too much of an ordeal. However, my wife did share the driving with me, I may not have done that if I was the only driver. My wife did get a speeding ticket on that trip, shortly after we left the freeway after Junction, to take Hwy 290 into Austin, so be careful.

Be good to yourself, stop in El Paso and get some rest so you make it to Austin alive.

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-24-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 05:27 PM

11,468 posts, read 10,923,059 times
Just watch out for the feral hogs runningg across the highway in the dark.

The last time we made the trip we saw at least a dozen dead ones between El Paso an Junction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>