Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Edit: While we're dissecting Houston neighborhoods, my absolute favorite and the one that reminds me most of Austin is the Rice University / Med Center area. Gorgeous tree lined streets, Hermann Park, Rice, etc. I wish Austin had a great zoo and the museums in that area of Houston. If I had to live in Houston, I'd choose the Rice area (if I could afford it).
The Rice area and the edge of Montrose where I stayed seemed so close that I almost meshed them together having only visited there a few times. They were basically in walking distance and definitely just a short bike ride. I've stayed with a friend in the Westmoreland neighborhood so that was my central location and we explored in different directions from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 12:15 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Its original intent was to promote supporting local businesses, although certainly it's morphed into more than that now. As I see it, it's simply a way to foster a collective identity among Austin's residents...it's actually pretty cool. How is it silly and pretentious, and why do those who have the bumper sticker on their car/wear the t-shirt need to "shut up already"?
It's really not that big of a deal but I'm a male and I started to let my hair grow very long once. It was long and beautiful that I'd say Troy Palumalu had nothing on my hair. I did it for no apparent or pretentious reason but simply because i wanted to see what it would be like having long hair.

And as you'd imagine I had plenty people looking at me as if I was part of this eclectic group of people that "kept Austin weird". How stupid. I had a friend say once that it was so "keep Austin weird." I even had some tourists once try and take a photo of me because it was "weird" enough that they wanted pretty much my face and hair as a souvenir. That's annoying. Thats why I think they need to "shut up already".

I've never worn any of those t-shirts. The only ones I've ever seen wearing those t-shirts are conservative looking people (not that they are conservative, they just look it), they aren't even of the creative class that makes Austin's community unique such as the number of artists and musicians with tattoo sleeves or funky hairdos. They aren't the ones "trying" to promote the "keep austin weird" brand. They just are unique, at least in a sense, as opposed to some people wearing a tshirt that says "keep austin weird."

Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
The only ones I've ever seen wearing those t-shirts are conservative looking people
See? Now that is weird! .

Old 07-27-2011, 12:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Austin doesn't have anything special aside from its zany festivals. Austin does have a few unique arts festivals/parades like First Night and Viva La Vida.

However, on a weekly basis I was bored and frustrated because the average person is snooty and sheltered. I just couldn't live in such a backward city.

I believe Dallas is the best city in Texas. It's the true art and music capital of Texas.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
I'm just imagining Migol84 seeing the bumper sticker on my cooler at the park, coming up to me and telling me to "shut up already".
No, no, not at all. I'm a bit of a smart *ss so yeah maybe i'd say something jokingly... but its not that big of a deal. I'm just expressing my thoughts on it that's all.

However, it would be hilarious if I did actually just randomly show up while your having a picnic with your family and I pass by shouting "god! just shut up already!" The look on your faces while taking a bite out of the sandwich haha

Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM

392 posts, read 749,573 times
Baton Rouge actually has a little public commission, called the "Austin Six," that are six politicians or whatever, whose soul purpose is to research everything Austin does as a city, and report back to the Baton Rouge government, so that they can try to emulate it. Not only was that sad and pathetic, it was of course a sham, because they really didn't do anything but eat tax dollars.

To round out this conversation, every Texas major city is cool in its own right, so you really can't go wrong. I hadn't considered it as much a few years ago, but I'm really enjoying San Antonio. I'm sure Austin, Houston, and DFW are just as enjoyable.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
The only way to get great zoos and museums is to literally roll history back and have Austin be a much bigger and wealthier town prior to the Great Depression.

As it is, out-of-town money built the Blanton, Bass Concert Hall, and Texas History museum.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Austin doesn't have anything special aside from its zany festivals. Austin does have a few unique arts festivals/parades like First Night and Viva La Vida.

However, on a weekly basis I was bored and frustrated because the average person is snooty and sheltered. I just couldn't live in such a backward city.

I believe Dallas is the best city in Texas. It's the true art and music capital of Texas.
Really? Dallas the art and music capital of Texas? How???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Read most of the responses and there are some good reasons in there.

One that I didn't notice that I think is a huge reason is how Austin is so centralized. Sure there are other parts of the town, but not like other cities have. DFW has lots of other area, and everything in Houston is everywhere all over the city except the downtown. lol. That Austin is so centralized into the central city I think brings everyone together really well. While you goto one part of Houston for this, or another part of Houston for that, or people interested in one thing go to one area and people with other interest goto different areas, Austin really isn't like that. Everything and everyone is drawn to the downtown which makes for a much busier and richer experience with people of all sorts of interest doing all sorts of things.

There are millions of other great things about the city, but in the few responses I read on page one I saw most of them mentioned.
Houston is the exact same way. The Inner Loop holds most of the city's attractions (all of the pro sports teams, Museum District, Theater District, Downtown, Uptown/Galleria, Texas Medical Center, Washington Avenue strip, Montrose, etc.). DFW is more spread out though. There are two main cities, with a much of moderately sized ones. I do agree that Downtown Austin is more active, since Downtown Austin is really the only place to party in Austin (or at least "the" main place). Houston has Downtown to party, but also multiple areas around the Inner Loop and around the metro. That's why on the weekend nights, everyone goes into Houston (mostly the Loop).

Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Houston is the exact same way. The Inner Loop holds most of the city's attractions (all of the pro sports teams, Museum District, Theater District, Downtown, Uptown/Galleria, Texas Medical Center, Washington Avenue strip, Montrose, etc.). DFW is more spread out though. There are two main cities, with a much of moderately sized ones. I do agree that Downtown Austin is more active, since Downtown Austin is really the only place to party in Austin (or at least "the" main place). Houston has Downtown to party, but also multiple areas around the Inner Loop and around the metro. That's why on the weekend nights, everyone goes into Houston (mostly the Loop).
But its not at all in the same sense that Austin is. Certainly Houston's inner loop has more to offer than even the entire area of Austin and San Antonio combined. But the difference here is that Austin's downtown is the heart and soul of Austin. It is THE neighborhood. Houston cannot make a claim to that with just its downtown as you've noted. It multiplies into different surrounding areas. Not in Austin. If there is something happening outside of it, its only catered to a few people such as house parties.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:30 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
"If there is something happening outside of it, its only catered to a few people such as house parties."

Not ENTIRELY true. Georgetown has some good festivals, not limited to a few people. The dance halls surrounding Austin aren't that way. The Reckless Kelly softball tournament/music festival at Dell Diamond or the Kerrville and Old Settler's Music Festivals. And the Elgin and Bastrop Festivals and the McDade Watermelon Festival, etc...But, I do get your point about Downtown Austin.

I lived in an apartment in Rice Village. It was one of the best downtown areas I lived in and had the most to offer. We used to skate over at the Rice Campus and take night walks around West U just to gawk at all the nice houses Lots of shopping, clubs/bars, and eateries down the street and close to the Zoo and parks and museums. I could walk to the grocery store and the gymn as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin