Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times

Advertisements

Well, the neighborhood grocer is leaving downtown Hutto. From her newsletter: QUOTE: SARAH'S TEXAS PANTRY IS MOVING Sarah's Texas Pantry is moving! More details to come, but we are currently looking at spaces in Austin. We would like to thank all of our friends, family, neighbors, and customers who have supported our big dream, small business, and the return of the neighborhood grocer. Unfortunately, the community of Hutto does not support small businesses and there was a complete lack of foot traffic in the downtown area. We will be working on getting Sarah's Texas Pantry gift baskets online by October. Thanks again to everyone and especially my husband Bobby Tober, whose love and encouragement kept me strong. END QUOTE Sorry to see her go. Hey, maybe we can put in another PAWN SHOP!!! We only have two...we need more. Let's go for that red light district!!! Go Hutto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 AM

103 posts, read 215,822 times
I feel your pain.... We drove thru Hutto every year (our yearly visit to Taylor from San Diego, to visit parents graves and fill up on Louies BBQ) and thought it was a great lill town.. (Love the hippos on te side of the road BTW)

That big box store down the road is sucking the life outta small business hutto I suspect

Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I went to her store from time to time, and yes, it's a sad thing that a lot of people who live here don't shop here. They'll eat here, that's why the cafes do so well but I think people want an actual grocery store. My husband didn't like Sarah's Pantry because it was pretty expensive, and it seemed a little more "boutique" like. I bought some $7 bacon there once and paid abt. $8 for 2 half gallons of milk. I think that's more the problem than that people don't shop local. Hutto needs something besides pawn shops and low priced housing to draw people and get people to stay here with their dollars. They're trying to draw people to the downtown area with their 2nd Saturday deal, but I bet they could add some better live music or model it after Georgetown's and have more artists outside. Make it seem more festive.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
I don't know anything about Sarah's; but, DW and I are considering a lunch trip to The Texan Cafe to celebrate my birthday today(Need to decide if an 'unnecessary' trip in 100F+ heat is prudent ). We would make such a 'road trip' to visit a 'new' (to us) eatery; but not to buy groceries. If Sarah's were more of a 'farmers market', that would be different. I'm guessing most folks in Hutto would find it just as convenient to stop at a grocery store on the way to/from work, errands, etc. It's not like Hutto is SO far out that a downtown grocery is the ONLY place to pick up food items. Even with 'foot traffic' downtown, grocery shopping strikes me as different from window shopping, gift purchases, stopping at the post office, etc...Perhaps it takes more than being 'downtown' to draw in customers.

Never mind the price difference between a small independent vs the larger outlets. Folks are only willing to pay a premium when they perceive some benefit. Just too many factors working against the small independent. I agree that 'you' don't want a pawn shop on every corner; but, I don't think you can simply 'design' the perfect retail/services mix to make any small downtown flourish.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I'm that way. HEB is close to where I work, so I just stop there because I don't have the kiddo with me and I can shop faster We're surrounded by grocery stores (Taylor, Pflugerville, Round Rock and Georgetown) and Walmart, so it's pretty easy to get things.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:10 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I don't know anything about Sarah's; but, DW and I are considering a lunch trip to The Texan Cafe to celebrate my birthday today(Need to decide if an 'unnecessary' trip in 100F+ heat is prudent ). We would make such a 'road trip' to visit a 'new' (to us) eatery; but not to buy groceries. If Sarah's were more of a 'farmers market', that would be different. I'm guessing most folks in Hutto would find it just as convenient to stop at a grocery store on the way to/from work, errands, etc. It's not like Hutto is SO far out that a downtown grocery is the ONLY place to pick up food items. Even with 'foot traffic' downtown, grocery shopping strikes me as different from window shopping, gift purchases, stopping at the post office, etc...Perhaps it takes more than being 'downtown' to draw in customers.

Never mind the price difference between a small independent vs the larger outlets. Folks are only willing to pay a premium when they perceive some benefit. Just too many factors working against the small independent. I agree that 'you' don't want a pawn shop on every corner; but, I don't think you can simply 'design' the perfect retail/services mix to make any small downtown flourish.
Happy Birthday,by the way. If you go to The Texan Cafe, I hope you and your wife enjoy yourselves! I'm still planning to make my way there.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Happy Birthday,by the way. If you go to The Texan Cafe, I hope you and your wife enjoy yourselves! I'm still planning to make my way there.
Thank you so much! August 2nd, the day most of the signers of the Declaration of Independence actually signed it!(And the date of the horrible jetliner crash in Dallas in '85--where my DW had JUST gone to work on the ground for Delta--she still has horrible memories of the crash and working with victims' families after).

Decided not to make the Hutto trip today. Instead, had lunch at the Avery Ranch Z Tejas and enjoyed some fantastic ancho chile chocolate pie as a birthday dessert!(So much for the healthy salmon and veggies as the main course ). The Texan Cafe could still be on the list this week!(although I'm only 1/3 of the way to my goal weight and these birthday 'treats' AIN'T HELPIN' )

Old 08-02-2011, 03:00 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Thank you so much! August 2nd, the day most of the signers of the Declaration of Independence actually signed it!(And the date of the horrible jetliner crash in Dallas in '85--where my DW had JUST gone to work on the ground for Delta--she still has horrible memories of the crash and working with victims' families after).

Decided not to make the Hutto trip today. Instead, had lunch at the Avery Ranch Z Tejas and enjoyed some fantastic ancho chile chocolate pie as a birthday dessert!(So much for the healthy salmon and veggies as the main course ). The Texan Cafe could still be on the list this week!(although I'm only 1/3 of the way to my goal weight and these birthday 'treats' AIN'T HELPIN' )
Wow. I was living in Japan in '85, and I was still fairly young, so I hadn't heard about the jetliner crash. I just read about it. So hearbreaking.

The ancho chile chocolate pie balanced out your healthy meal! (and it sounds delicious!) And a loss is a loss. 1/3 down, 2/3 to go. Not bad. I've yet to make a dent in my weight loss efforts! But with the family away for the week, I need to take advantage of my child-free time and get on it! Keep up the good work!

Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post

The ancho chile chocolate pie balanced out your healthy meal! (and it sounds delicious!) And a loss is a loss. 1/3 down, 2/3 to go. Not bad. I've yet to make a dent in my weight loss efforts! But with the family away for the week, I need to take advantage of my child-free time and get on it! Keep up the good work!
As long as we have completely derailed this thread... the weight thing for me is cutting out 'excess'. As one nurse once told me, "Eat what you want...just don't eat it ALL". If I can continue to moderate my evening intake, I think I can drop another 10 pounds 'fairly easily'(IF and THINK in the same sentence!) I'm not expecting the last 10 to be easy at all! It's tough when my two favorite food groups are sugar and butter!!! If the 22-mile bike ride tomorrow afternoon doesn't kill me, it should remind me WHY I'm on this journey!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
I'm guessing she will do well if she puts her shop where all the money is in Austin. I wish her well. I think there are people, (probably on the West side of 35) that can afford to pay six bucks for a jar of peaches. Sorry, couldn't resist. Mind you...they were really good peaches but a bit costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin