Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 AM

11 posts, read 29,294 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback so far.

In terms of the kids, we feel like all the areas we are looking at have excellent schools. So, the judgement is more based on community feel and whether the activities we like to do as a family - golf and swim - are readily available to us.

The other thing I'm wondering about is church. There seems to be an active Catholic Church in Lakeway. How about in the Steiner Ranch/River Place area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:51 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I am not sure I believe the Lakeway average home is 2000 sq. ft. unless you are including condos. My 3BR house was 2050 and one of the smallest I have been in. I did a quick search of homes < $400K and 57 of 88 were between 2000 and 4999 sq. ft.
I said "about". In the city of Lakeway, right now as we speak (not including the "Travis County" homes but homes marked as the City of Lakeway), there are 50 properties under $400k, houses only, not condos. The average is 2335. I would say that's "about" 2000 sqft. Just as the Steiner average is probably over 3000 sqft, but it was for making a large comparison. Steiner homes are significantly larger than Lakeway homes, on average. Just FYI, the average of the age was 1990.653 so I think I got that pretty close...

As for Family neighborhoods, they're all family neighborhoods, which is why the schools are rated highly. It's about what you like in the neighborhood. Do you want to walk on the sidewalk and ride bikes and such, or do you mind walking and biking in the street with cars coming? With my buyers, either you like it or you don't. I learned to ride a bike in a neighborhood with no sidewalks, but it was a cul-de-sac street so less cars. Many eliminate it just because there are powerlines in view from almost every house as they weren't buried. Some people don't mind the powerlines at all. It's personal preference.

Last edited by FalconheadWest; 08-09-2011 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 10:49 AM

313 posts, read 786,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Falconhead is not closer to downtown than Steiner.

Per google maps, both are exactly 29 minutes from their entrance to 6th and Congress, but it will take 5-10 minutes to get out of Steiner, so its 10-20 minutes faster round trip from Falconhead. Falconhead is also about 15 minutes (+5-10 minutes to get out) closer to the airport, which is a common need for people with professional jobs. An indoor swim center just opened in Bee Cave for kids lessons and there's a ton in the Hill Country for kids to do (down 71 from Bee Cave). Also, there's a Whole Foods going into the Galleria in the Fall.

I've noticed that Steiner is more social with kids and social in general. Big community events, etc. If that is a major factor for you, you probably want to consider it seriously. There's also a boat dock at the end of Steiner with a rental facility and access to the lake Austin (its more like a wide river, but they call it a lake) and you can go right outside the neighborhood and access Lake Travis (which is a real lake)

Lakeway is kind of old, the population and the houses. I don't know much about golf, so I'm no help there.

Rough Hollow looks very interesting, but its pretty far out, about 15-20 minutes further from everything than the other options. It is supposed to have a pretty awesome water park, but I'm not sure how fast those properties are getting built, so it may be a while before there's a park or anyone in it. Its worth checking out.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:40 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
regarding Rough Hollow, I believe they are building the water park now.

I like the concept of Lakeway but the city gov't keeps me away. I also like a gas stove and they only have electric. I believe they do have gas in Rough Hollow, however.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
regarding Rough Hollow, I believe they are building the water park now.

I like the concept of Lakeway but the city gov't keeps me away. I also like a gas stove and they only have electric. I believe they do have gas in Rough Hollow, however.
The water park is supposed to be open by next Spring. The report I read said there are about 100 residents, and there will be about 350, if I remember correctly.

Some Lakeway homes have propane, so not all are electric. We are all propane in Falconhead and Falconhead West too. They claim it's too expensive to get natural gas to us...

Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cking27 View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far.

In terms of the kids, we feel like all the areas we are looking at have excellent schools. So, the judgement is more based on community feel and whether the activities we like to do as a family - golf and swim - are readily available to us.

The other thing I'm wondering about is church. There seems to be an active Catholic Church in Lakeway. How about in the Steiner Ranch/River Place area?
St. Thomas More is a huge, active Catholic church on 620 very close to Steiner.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6835 View Post
Per google maps, both are exactly 29 minutes from their entrance to 6th and Congress, but it will take 5-10 minutes to get out of Steiner, so its 10-20 minutes faster round trip from Falconhead. Falconhead is also about 15 minutes (+5-10 minutes to get out) closer to the airport, which is a common need for people with professional jobs. An indoor swim center just opened in Bee Cave for kids lessons and there's a ton in the Hill Country for kids to do (down 71 from Bee Cave). Also, there's a Whole Foods going into the Galleria in the Fall.
Despite what Google maps may say, I can tell you it actually takes longer from Falconhead, seeing as I have driven from both many times.

Steiner has it's own pools / lessons and very, very active and successful swim team, so I would say that's a lot more convenient than driving to the new Nitro Swim. There's also supposedly a "specialty grocery store" (I have heard speculation of a Sprouts) going in to the new Trails at 620 being constructed very close to Steiner. The entire development will be very much like the Galleria. The movie theater there will also have theaters that serve dinner and drinks, much like the Alamo Drafthouse, in addition to the regular theaters.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cking27 View Post
Thanks all for the comments. I do like Lost Creek, and the club, I don't think we can afford it. We drove by 'the Hills' tonite (actually looking @ Lakeway in general) but due to the gate we couldn't get in to drive around. We'll do that this weekend with our realtor.

We need our house to sell back east before buying, so now we are looking to rent for a bit before buying. That being said, we don't want to move our kids twice in school. Which is interesting, because now our home search is driven by where we can find rentals in the 4 mentioned communities. I know that doesn't have to be the case, but it will be easier in the transition to not switch schools once we buy.
Lost Creek CC is cheap!......by Austin standards. My husband has been frustrated in joining a CC in that they are either inexpensive, or expensive with no middling ground. He's from the Midwest where (apparently) they have "real" golf courses with decent grass (unlike here) and charge a "reasonable" amount.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 16,274 times
Before you buy anywhere make sure you check the rates on water and propane. It was a lot higher than what we were use to when we moved here last month.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 PM

172 posts, read 411,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Steiner is geared towards families. Great community parks and pools, great schools, and great people.

Riverplace is geared towards DINKS (double income no kids) or wealthy empty nesters that just want to play some golf or some pickup basketball but in a serene hill country environment.

Lakeway was formerly a retirement mecca but some families now live there. There are no sidewalks, lots are small, and the government rules with an iron fist there.

I don't know anything about Falconhead West, it was never on my radar screen.
id agree with this.

Falconhead west just is lots of neighborhood i am not expert seems boring to me.

If you want a good place to play golf

Austin country club,Spanish oaks, barton creek, steiner, lions, hell jimmy clays is not bad and its a public course on the "not nice side of austin", >>>lakeway or any other pop up golf course that is built for neighborhoods

of course a lot of golf courses you must be a member of now someone in the case of ACC.

just saying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin