Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,465 times

Advertisements

hi there

We are an Australian couple moving to Austin from Australia for my husbands work in the new year. I have 4 kids - 3, 10, 14 and 15. What is the best area to live in? We would like to be close to good schools (we need elementary, middle and high schools nearby) we also would need a part time day care/pre school for my 3 year old daughter to mix with other kids and would like to be near some good shopping malls and parks and transport for the kids. ive also heard it can be pretty hot there, so maybe near a pool would be good too!!!

Also, any other information about living in Austin would be fantastic. ive never been there so im flying blind

thanks for your help.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,003,144 times
You'll get more useful answers if you tell us where your husband's job is, how much of a commute you want, and what your budget is. Do you plan to buy a home or rent something? How long do you think you will be in Austin?

Just a few things I can offer now:

- school quality varies widely in Austin depending on the school district (we have several); many are very good, a few not so good
- Sydney is beautiful (I have been three times) and Austin is nothing like that. But I have known several Australians over the years and they all like Texas in general. I think it is an attitude issue - Texans are friendly, used to warm weather, relaxed, and enjoy life - just like Australians.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,616,479 times
Your husbands job is the key to what folks tell ya cause the river here causes traffic to back up on the bridges so what side he works on gives us a clue what to tell ya. Price will be another factor. If you are in north Austin area, Avery Ranch might hit the nail for you. Good schools in the neighbourhood. Close to the mall and the ymca (for sports and exercise). The schools are either Round Rock Indepenant School District or the Leander ISD depending on which side of Avery Ranch you are on. To the south of the river, Circle C might meet what you need with Austin ISD schools that I have no clue about. Lets us know what the work address is and we can go from there. Not sure if you have a Jumpstreet like place there but my kids love it and loads of teens are there all the time. Its on the north side...
jumpstreet® | indoor trampoline park --its the cedar park location. Not sure if the kiddos are looking forward to the move but always nice to give them something to look at!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:36 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,006,995 times
You first need to know where the job is..... live too far from it, and he will be stuck in awful traffic.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,741 times
I think you should check out Lake Creek Parkway in North Austin. I don't live there but every week I drive through this road, it has parks, people jogging, near schools, pre-k, educational institute that with varies after-school programs for different age group of kids, also the Lakeline Mall is very close . Personally, I think it was pretty nice area.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,443,925 times
Interesting...three weeks ago, OP was moving to San Diego .

Hope they get it figured out before moving 'halfway around the world'.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:56 AM

101 posts, read 218,036 times
we have lots of friends who have moved from abroad so i think you will fit in nicely. many of them have kids too. it will be good to join some of the mothers groups.
it does get very hot particularly in the summer and in particular this summer. pool highly recommended. eanes and lake travis both have good schools or if you want something more international there are some good private schools that are international

Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 PM

10 posts, read 21,205 times
G'day..
I'm originally from Canberra and will be moving to Austin this week..

Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 AM

10 posts, read 14,947 times
you havenot mentioned your husband's workplace,so its not easy to provide you the best options...anyways i think canberra is the best option for you as it has the best infrastructure of education,also the weather is nice,check out this website Visit Canberra - Home of the Australian story

Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 4,585 times
As others have stated you need to indicate where your husband is going to work.

My family is moving to Cedar Park next week, from Pittsburgh, and we found this site very helpful in finding a home to lease, (if you are interested in that): Lease (http://austinhomesearch.com/Search/Lease.aspx - broken link)

My wife got an excellent position with Dell as a senior test engineer and we spent a week looking around and checking out pre-schools for our 4 year old, housing and YMCA's, (I swim laps, run and lift weights for fitness).

We also considered Round Rock, another good area if your husband is working in the area.

Cedar Park and Round Rock both have access to either Round Rock or Leander school districts, both of which are good. Won't do you much good if your husband is working in southern Austin though.

As others have said, we found folks to be very friendly and warm.

I'm not a fan of how one one strip mall blurs into another but you can find neighborhoods that are clear of that. Downtown Austin is excellent, though we were told the school district isn't the best and that the commute is fairly bad to Dell.

If you are going to the Round Rock/Cedar Park area, check out Vivo restaurant. Excellent! (It's not particulary family friendly, the decor and ambiance is better for date nights.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin