Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Eddie V's is delicious, you can't go wrong on a date there. The Clay Pit has good food but the acoustics in that old restored building are horrible for romantic dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Green Mesquite is romantic?
Sigh. That's what I get for trying to type after going to the doctor for vertigo!

That should have been Green Pastures.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sigh. That's what I get for trying to type after going to the doctor for vertigo!

That should have been Green Pastures.
Ya, I figured it was, but didn't want a newcomer to think the Green Mesquite was romantic.

Hope the bout with vertigo is short-lived.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:30 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
LOL @ Green Mesquite. That was funny.

In my single days, I was taken on a date to a French restaurant that was downtown, I think. It was really quiant and romantic. I can't remember the name, and of course, I can no longer contact the person who took me...LOL But if you can find it, it was really nice.

Has anyone tried Hudson's on the Bend? I've always thought to try it, but I always forget. Their menu choices sound really good, and everytime I drive by, the restaurant looks tucked away, yet inviting.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:43 PM

Oh, and definitely try Gumbo's downtown location. I think it qualifies as romantic, and the food and service is top notch, in my opinion.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Has anyone tried Hudson's on the Bend? I've always thought to try it, but I always forget. Their menu choices sound really good, and everytime I drive by, the restaurant looks tucked away, yet inviting.
Very, very nice. Sort of Texas Romantic. Intimate, great choice for special occasions.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Very, very nice. Sort of Texas Romantic. Intimate, great choice for special occasions.
Thank you for your input. I always wondered about this place since I rarely hear people mention it. Now if I can just remember this restaurant when deciding where to go eat!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
In my single days, I was taken on a date to a French restaurant that was downtown, I think. It was really quiant and romantic. I can't remember the name, and of course, I can no longer contact the person who took me...LOL But if you can find it, it was really nice.

Chez Nous? Very romantic!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,609 times
Quote:
LOL @ Green Mesquite. That was funny.

I've been to Hudson on the Bend...it is awesome and romantic. They have a lot of gamey dishes such as quail, etc. (but they don't taste gamey in a bad way).

Other expensive restaurants that are known for their fine dining in addition to the Jeffrey's, Green Pastures, and Auquarelle already suggested are:

Uchi
The Driskell
Wink (not as romantic as a setting but generally considered one of the top two or three best gourmet dining experiences in Austin).

What's considered the best restaurant in Austin currently is Congress. It is run by David Bull, who was the executive chef for The Driskell for a long time (he was also on Iron Chef). It is probably also the most expensive restaurant in Austin and you definitely need reservations.

Anywhere I can get a chef's tasting menu with a wine pairing I know is going to be awesome!

And as others have said...don't take your date to Green Mesquite if you're looking for romantic, lol!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Actually, at one time Green Mesquite WAS a romantic dinner for DH and I, but that's because Jerry Jacobs, of sainted memory, which preceded it in its location down on Barton Springs Road was the first place he introduced me to BBQ, so the building, at least, was sort of "our place". But not so much for other folks without the memories attached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin