Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

I used Home Security of America and got a new coil and later a new compressor, but it was really a chore. It was sometimes a week between visits. I think we were without air for 3 weeks in the summer the first time. Now when one contractor couldn't fix it, they did give us a different one. Be aware that not all contractors will do home warranty work.

They had to order the part through HSA and that took 3 or 4 days and then they ordered the wrong part.

If your concerned about sudden large costs or particular features such as AC or heat, its worthwhile, but it may not be easy. We didn't renew. I couldn't see being without a heater for 3 weeks in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 PM

17 posts, read 124,116 times
In the last month I have had an unhappy experience with Old Republic. Just like bu2, I had no a/c for almost 3 weeks. My very old a/c system had begun to fail, and after after three unsatisfactory visits from OR's contractor (based 45 miles from my home), I had to call another firm (based in the city, and highly recommended by friends). To cut a long story short, my system had indeed died, and I now have a new, very efficient (and somewhat expensive) system.
The problem with Home Warranty companies is that they appear to contract with smaller companies who may not have the best staff or equipment, and often are located out of town (eg Jarrell, Bastrop, etc). A Home Warranty is useful for newcomers who don't yet know who's who among local repair firms, but once a homeowner has built up a network of contacts, the Home Warranty isn't much of a saving - you get what you pay for.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 PM

39 posts, read 96,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Any home warranty company functions as a middleman. They receive considerably more in fees than they pay repair contractors How else could they stay in business? That means that, on the average, they win and the homeowner loses. No thanks...I will take my chances and manage home repairs myself.

Don in Austin
I don't know a middleman who is willing to pay for labor and parts for an evaporator coil replacement. Cost me about $60 for the guy to come out and Old Republic paid about $900 for the rest. In this case, homeowner wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfiver View Post
In the last month I have had an unhappy experience with Old Republic. Just like bu2, I had no a/c for almost 3 weeks. My very old a/c system had begun to fail, and after after three unsatisfactory visits from OR's contractor (based 45 miles from my home), I had to call another firm (based in the city, and highly recommended by friends). To cut a long story short, my system had indeed died, and I now have a new, very efficient (and somewhat expensive) system.
The problem with Home Warranty companies is that they appear to contract with smaller companies who may not have the best staff or equipment, and often are located out of town (eg Jarrell, Bastrop, etc). A Home Warranty is useful for newcomers who don't yet know who's who among local repair firms, but once a homeowner has built up a network of contacts, the Home Warranty isn't much of a saving - you get what you pay for.
Do you guys get that home warranties charge you a service fee, and then according to what plan you get, they cover most or all of those costs as well? They don't just hook you up with someone. They hook you up with the repair costs, too. I'm not sure how "you get what you pay for" applies here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin