Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 PM

41 posts, read 156,055 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are 2 woman with a 19 yr old in tow who will probably come with us but not stay forever.

1 of us is on fixed income, I will have to work for awhile but plan to become a midwife.

I hope for no rude responses but thoughtful ones because we are coming from a thoughtful place.

We are wondering about the climate of race relations, lgbtq issues, property costs (won't be able to purchase at first, so rentals), descriptions of neighborhoods. Politics (cuz I have always been TERRIFIED when I've heard the work TEXAS...! I have heard that the young, hipster crowd is in full effect, but what of older lesbians???

Thanks for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 PM

844 posts, read 2,019,850 times
Why are you thinking of Austin if you're terrified of Texas?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:57 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,330 times
Yeah, if you're terrified at just the mention of Texas, now matter how unjustified, it's probably not for you.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:57 PM

I am open to changing my connotations and realities. I think that's what's best. No comments on any of my other questions? Just offended by my comment about Texas. I am sorry about that. But your response does give me some information. Thank you!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,330 times
I don't think either of us were offended. It just doesn't make sense that you'd ask about a place you're terrified of.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Default Midwifery

I think I mentioned in my post that I an aspiring Midwife. Texas is a "pro-midwifery" state and has good programs. I am intersted in working with Latino women and also bringing this model of evidence-based midwifery back to African American women and families. I am interested in keeping this woman-centered tradition an option for all who wish to access it.

I am from CA and find that a good portion of this nation finds that to be negative and laughable. But I don't take it offensively.

The good thing about this country is that we can live where we want to experience the things we wish to experience.

These responses kind of comfirm some old thoughts I have.

I tend to want to point out the amazing things to people about where I'm from. I offer to be a guide (via email). I am not offended.

I have heard TX is separatist. Seems true, then. That's too bad. I had heard phenomenal things about Austin.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM

And "terrified" is more rhetorical and tongue in cheek. But thanks for the replies, it makes sense!

ia

Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
Just Google "Austin midwives". Lots of them are practicing all around the area along with numerous birthing centers.

One of my sons & his SO engaged a midwife & a doula for the birth of their first son, the same for the second. Both took place at their home, and as can be seen everything & everybody turned out very well.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 PM

Default thx sco pro

i love that information! That's what I'm looking for. The Texas midwifery laws, etc. are very cool and well thought out! I have heard that we could make a life in Austin and contribute to it's society (I also want to pursue my Master in Public Health and the UT has a program).

Thanks, I appreciate hearing about your family's experience with midwives!

ia

Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,650 times
Notswedish, Texans, like most everyone else are very sensitive to the fact that people perceive them as narrow minded bigots.

I'm from California too and other than the fact that Texans are more overtly friendly, I have found that Texans are just normal people with normal concerns.

I have become sensitive to the perceptions too. There is in fact a significant portion of progressive America that thinks of Texas as backwards and much akin to a third world nation. Honestly, the only cultural difference I've noticed has to do with Texan pride in self reliance with minimal government interference.

As to comparisons to third world countries, I don't see it. Too many cutting edge medical facilities, leading industries, schools with awesome infrastructures, well maintained roads, fancy shopping centers, sophisticated eateries and the list goes on.

All this aside, we are planning a move back home ASAP. We miss our friends and family. I'm feeling every kind of fool for not appropriately valuing the importance of my friends and family. Oh, and it is hotter than $h1t here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin