Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 03:35 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,119 times

Advertisements

I left Austin because of the heat...the Irony is I left for Phoenix...Im much happier with the dry heat...Im a bit overweight and the heat in Austin made my thighs stick together when I walked, gave me a rash. Got tired of putting baby powder on my flab just to go outside. LOSE WEIGHT DUMB ASS, thats what your saying, I know. Its hard to do alot of walking or working out when your own body is giving you a rash...like a perpetual quit machine. I will never return to Austin and endure that Kind of heat. Eventually, after my son graduates in 9 years , I will move back to Washington State where I will live with clouds and rain until the end of my days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,259,905 times
I don't mind the heat, just give me some RAIN! My poor trees, plus I'm getting tired of having to water them by hand. Heck, I'd probably deal with 100+ 365 if I didn't have to deal with this stinkin drought.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:06 PM

743 posts, read 1,370,922 times
Yes, we are giving a move serious consideration. Problem is, we are generally quite happy with the kids' schools, so the question is WHEN. Sadly, the only reason I'm planning to move is the heat, but it's become a big enough impediment for me that it has prompted moving discussions. It really is about the length of the hot season. I don't mind hot days over 100 once in a while, but the months on end of extreme heat gets old.

I know that 96 is the "average" high for this time of year, but it's been so many years since that was the case that I hardly believe it anymore. The only summer I really enjoyed was the summer of 2007. (lots of rain)

It's too bad. Outside of the heat, I love so much about Austin.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
Yes, we are giving a move serious consideration. Problem is, we are generally quite happy with the kids' schools, so the question is WHEN. Sadly, the only reason I'm planning to move is the heat, but it's become a big enough impediment for me that it has prompted moving discussions. It really is about the length of the hot season. I don't mind hot days over 100 once in a while, but the months on end of extreme heat gets old.

I know that 96 is the "average" high for this time of year, but it's been so many years since that was the case that I hardly believe it anymore. The only summer I really enjoyed was the summer of 2007. (lots of rain)

I've never heard of moving just because of the heat. I mean (c'mon, girl), you just want to go home! Tell your husband and go home!

Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post

Thats funny, thats the summer I moved to.. and left Austin due to the heat, and that was probably the best summer according to you. I must have been REAL whimpy.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:21 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,010 times
Quote:
I've never heard of moving just because of the heat. I mean (c'mon, girl), you just want to go home! Tell your husband and go home!
Seriously? You've never heard of people moving because of weather? Too much snow, long winters? I think it is exactly the same when it comes to heat, in my opinion.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:50 PM

158 posts, read 581,721 times
This thread is so interesting b/c I live in CA and my Husband has 2 potential job offers: Austin & Oceanside, CA. We are really torn. We have always wanted to move to TX, but then again, the beach is the beach. It's a really hard decision. We've been to Dallas during the summer and wasn't particularly bothered by the heat. The humidity was a little different than we're used to though. Decisions, decisions...

Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRUs View Post
This thread is so interesting b/c I live in CA and my Husband has 2 potential job offers: Austin & Oceanside, CA. We are really torn. We have always wanted to move to TX, but then again, the beach is the beach. It's a really hard decision. We've been to Dallas during the summer and wasn't particularly bothered by the heat. The humidity was a little different than we're used to though. Decisions, decisions...
If the ocean is important to you, then stay in California. I'm scheming my return now and the ocean is in the top five reasons.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 PM

158 posts, read 581,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
If the ocean is important to you, then stay in California. I'm scheming my return now and the ocean is in the top five reasons.
I don't know if the ocean is necessarily "important" to me, but it's nice. We also like the different vibe in TX. If we were to move there, we'd completely embrace it and not look back. It's a toss up for us. I think we've settled on Avery Ranch IF we choose Tx. What do you think of that area (are you familiar w/ it?) Does it have splash pads or community pools there? Or do most homes have a pool in AR?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRUs View Post
Being able to deal with the heat during a vacation and living with it every day for months are two different things. Austin is a good place, but the influence of the ocean just is not here (the winds, weather, fog, salt air, activities, culture, etc.) If you love the ocean, don't leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin