Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:06 AM

438 posts, read 1,114,960 times

Advertisements

I moved here a few months ago, but didn't unpack most of my moving boxes because I wasn't sure I could tolerate the heat. I've found I can't, so I'm going back to the SF Bay Area when my lease is up next year. I need to live in a walkable city and although I live downtown less than a mile from everything I need, the heat means that Austin is not walkable for me.

Austin is great! I love my apartment and everything about this city except the heat and drought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

696 posts, read 1,301,245 times
LOL....love the thread title. I live in Richmond, VA and am planning to move to Texas (probably Austin or San Antonio) because I am sick of the increasingly cold winter in the East Coast haha :P !! Guess the other side is always greener !!

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was kind of like you when I lived in the north, I was miserable, so I did something about it and moved south.

I don't miss:
* shoveling snow
* temps so cold you couldn't breathe without a scarf or facemask
* getting frostbite in my hands/toes even with gloves/boots on
* getting ear aches because water from the shower froze in my ear canal
* dry skin all the time because of the heaters drying out the already dry arctic air
* cold and cloudy weather for months on end with no relief in sight
* astronomical gas bills
* driving on black ice
* having the temp outside be colder than your freezer
* the cumulative and costly effect of salt (used on roads) on the under carriage of your car
* brown trees from October until late April
* brown grass from November until first snow and then from melt until April (I plant rye grass here, my lawn is green in the winter in Austin)
* cold weather advisories warning of frostbite within 1 minute of going outside
* lack of fresh produce in the winter months - everything is trucked from the south

I could go on and on.
move to phoenix and you get to miss all the PLUS the muggy weather

Old 08-12-2011, 11:29 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
I have lived in either San Antonio or Austin for most of my life and it is definitely getting hotter and drier as the years go by. We will be moving north in a few years as we have both had enough of this miserable heat. I hope I'm wrong but I believe this whole area is turning into a desert.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaciaRose View Post
I moved here a few months ago, but didn't unpack most of my moving boxes because I wasn't sure I could tolerate the heat. I've found I can't, so I'm going back to the SF Bay Area when my lease is up next year. I need to live in a walkable city and although I live downtown less than a mile from everything I need, the heat means that Austin is not walkable for me.

Austin is great! I love my apartment and everything about this city except the heat and drought.
Have you tried riding a bike? Riding a bike is more tolerable in the heat than walking and you can get places quicker.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
move to phoenix and you get to miss all the PLUS the muggy weather
Why would I move to Phoenix when Austin solves everyone of those problems.

Phoenix actually doesn't solve one of the problems, the dry winter weather. I like the fact that Austin's winter is a bit humid and cool, that's good for the skin. Phoenix is bone dry most of the year. My skin would not like that.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:00 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post

We have far too many posters in the Austin forum that patly answer everything with "well just leave then".

Why can't someone make an innocuous statement about the weather without being attacked. If you don't have a problem with heat, why even click on a thread complaining about heat?

Where is the Texas Pride folks? How rude is it to tell people "if you don't like it, then leave!" especially when YOU are a transplant yourself. Be Texas friendly.

So true, true, true. I think it's hilarious when someone says, "Just leave..." or "we don't want your kind around here anyway" type stuff. LOL. To me, it's the equivalent of the days when my son was about 6 years old, and if he'd get mad, he'd cross his arms across his chest and say, "I NOT CHUR FRIEND!"

It is ridiculously childish. I'm actually embarrassed for the posters who say stuff like "outsiders come to Austin and say X, Y and Z." WTH? Outsiders? We all live in the United States of America....and as a matter of fact, we are intruders upon the land that was first occupied by Native Americans. We all have opinions. That's what makes us different. I have my fair share of complaints about Austin...and I'm sure I'd have a complaint (however small or large) about any place I decide to live, because I doubt there's such a thing as a perfect paradise. Close to it, but not perfect. Nevertheless, I take both the good and the bad about Austin, and I live my life.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I've lived in Texas for 22 years now and I have spent almost every single summer outside playing. Playing/coaching tennis. Playing basketball. Playing in the pool. Doing yardwork. Fishing. Whatever. Most summers are really not that bad once you've acclimated.

Because I've had to work so much lately, I have barely noticed this summer being bad. I haven't had much opportunity to spend time outside, though. I ran a couple of times at 4 in the morning, and that was fine (and it was 4 in the morning bc of my work schedule)...

This summer is truly an aberration in the grand scheme of things. It's about 10 degrees hotter than it usually is.

Average temps?

May - 84/65
June - 92/73
July - 96/77
August - 96/76
Sept - 89/69

I mean, as an average, that is really, really not bad. I have noticed that the humidity has been trending downwards, though. But that helps keep it from being as muggy.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 PM

297 posts, read 896,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
So true, true, true. I think it's hilarious when someone says, "Just leave..." or "we don't want your kind around here anyway" type stuff. LOL. To me, it's the equivalent of the days when my son was about 6 years old, and if he'd get mad, he'd cross his arms across his chest and say, "I NOT CHUR FRIEND!"

It is ridiculously childish. I'm actually embarrassed for the posters who say stuff like "outsiders come to Austin and say X, Y and Z." WTH? Outsiders? We all live in the United States of America....and as a matter of fact, we are intruders upon the land that was first occupied by Native Americans. We all have opinions. That's what makes us different. I have my fair share of complaints about Austin...and I'm sure I'd have a complaint (however small or large) about any place I decide to live, because I doubt there's such a thing as a perfect paradise. Close to it, but not perfect. Nevertheless, I take both the good and the bad about Austin, and I live my life.
Agreed whole heartedly ... Thanks for saying it ... as your reward I just upped your reputation on the list ... whatever that means

Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM

158 posts, read 581,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Amen!

If it was 75-80 degrees and sunny all year like parts of California, there'd be no way to stop the flow of people moving here. The summer is God's way of ensuring we don't get *too* overpopulated in Austin.
Wow. Now you're the "population police?" Who the heck are you to say who can come to TX and who can't??? Real nice. It makes me want to jump on a plane and move there to spite you If you wanted to move to CA, I'd welcome you, not bi*ch about overpopulation. How do you know that I wouldn't be the best neighbor/ friend/ etc in the world? Don't shoot yourself in the foot cBach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin