Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 04:33 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,793 times

Advertisements

I have thought of moving where the winters are cold but then I think of the cost of keeping a house warm. I have read of horrific fuel bills in recent years, much more than the cost of AC down here in the summer. I have also lived in Kansas where some days hit 116 and also -22 in winter. I'll take the heat. I was born in Texas and I plan to die in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 04:43 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
The problem with that is 96/97 is the AVERAGE over the past 120 years. Austin has grown considerably, and if you take the average of the past 20 years, the average high is likely closer to 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
Yes, we are giving a move serious consideration. Problem is, we are generally quite happy with the kids' schools, so the question is WHEN. Sadly, the only reason I'm planning to move is the heat, but it's become a big enough impediment for me that it has prompted moving discussions. It really is about the length of the hot season. I don't mind hot days over 100 once in a while, but the months on end of extreme heat gets old.

I know that 96 is the "average" high for this time of year, but it's been so many years since that was the case that I hardly believe it anymore. The only summer I really enjoyed was the summer of 2007. (lots of rain)

It's too bad. Outside of the heat, I love so much about Austin.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have lived in Texas for 34 years, moved here because I was tired of the cold and long winters in Colorado and Wyoming. Out of that time in Texas, it has only been the last two years when I found the summers to be a strain. Other then that I find the climate very pleasant, except for the last two summers. I worked for a year as a land surveyor in Arizona, and can say for certain that dry heat is easier to take.

But, I would not live here or AZ without A.C. especially when sleeping.

I have not had to rely on public transportation since college, 1977-1980. During that time I hated the humidity and could not stand walking a mile or two and waiting an hour or so for the next bus, while dripping with sweat. If you moved here from cooler climates, and don't have or can't afford your own car, preferably with air conditioning, then there is a good chance that Central/South Texas is not workable for you.

Most of the employers that I have encountered in my 34 years in Austin, do not offer showers and locker rooms at work, so riding a bike to work is not an option for many of not most of us.
Every employer I've worked for has had a shower at work in CA and TX. None did in KS. Right now I work from home so there is definitely a shower here, lol

Old 08-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Some posts above make me think that there might be issues with people forgetting to be helpful. It's a thread about the weather and whether it bothers people enough to leave town. That's it. There's no need to get personal with people who disagree with you or offended by the fact that they do. Some of us like hot weather and some of us don't. No need to get hot under the collar about it.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have lived in Texas for 34 years, moved here because I was tired of the cold and long winters in Colorado and Wyoming. Out of that time in Texas, it has only been the last two years when I found the summers to be a strain. Other then that I find the climate very pleasant, except for the last two summers. I worked for a year as a land surveyor in Arizona, and can say for certain that dry heat is easier to take.......
I find it amazing that someone from the mountain west can tolerate humid, sticky Austin summers.

You're right....the dry heat is far easier to tolerate (I just hate it a little less than I do humid heat)....and the same also goes for cold.

I can see why Midwesterners like Texas' heat, after spending a few days in Dec-Jan in northern IN and IL.....a penetrating, damp cold that made every bone in my body ache, especially my knees (old injury from teenage years).

Durango/Wolf Creek CO cold didn't bother me. It was very easy to stay warm--and I love the Four Corners area. The dry cold is so very different, and I really like it. I get to wear a coat every once in awhile!

One of these years, I am going to spend part of the winter in Wyoming, just to see what severe cold is really like.

As much as I miss Texas at times, I don't think I will ever be able to come home, unless it's to the Alpine/FD/Marfa area.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 PM

515 posts, read 1,397,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
but for a lot of us former Californians, it's too expensive to move back to where our family is even if we wanted to. It's better to just enjoy our time in the Austin area and continue to have a positive attitude even in extreme heat waves.
So true! We couldn't afford to go back even if we wanted to, and we don't want to. So we put up with the heat, after all everyplace has something we can complain about.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 PM

68 posts, read 123,902 times
I have lived here since birth, 46 yrs and hate the heat/humidity here. I'm in the process of researching moving to a cooler place and more milder summers and less drought! We are trying to turn into a desert here I think. I hope to be away from here within the next year. I want a place where I can go outside in the summer and not be miserable. I get up, shower and leave for work each morning and before I get in the car, I'm already sweating due to the heat and humidity. Sucks!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 PM

109 posts, read 292,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
What you say is common. I grew up in Louisiana and went to PA for college, thinking I'd love the crisp air in the north. It was only September up there and my mom was saying my siblings were still swimming in the swimming pool and we were getting our first frost. I knew then that maybe I had bitten off more than I could chew. I graduated and have never returned to Pittsburgh.
I think there is a certain romance associated with the idea of snow, Christmas, apple picking, fall colors, etc. I used to dream about these things when I lived in TX and was sad my kids weren't experiencing this type of lifestyle. Now, while I think those things can be beautiful and fun around the holidays, once January hits...I want the snow and cold to be over but it's just beginning! I never could have realized what a huge pain it is to shovel, get the kids bundled everyday, etc. I felt so isolated and locked in because of all the snow and the darkness. I really got depressed. After that the hot TX sun seemed like a blessing. Now we just need some job transfers.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&AMOM View Post
I think there is a certain romance associated with the idea of snow, Christmas, apple picking, fall colors, etc. I used to dream about these things when I lived in TX and was sad my kids weren't experiencing this type of lifestyle. Now, while I think those things can be beautiful and fun around the holidays, once January hits...I want the snow and cold to be over but it's just beginning! I never could have realized what a huge pain it is to shovel, get the kids bundled everyday, etc. I felt so isolated and locked in because of all the snow and the darkness. I really got depressed. After that the hot TX sun seemed like a blessing. Now we just need some job transfers.
Yep, the whole Normal Rockwell Christmas season is really just a thing that advertisers use to line retailers pocketbooks. Most stores don't cut a profit until black Friday after Thanksgiving. Christmas is the whole reason for many stores, so the whole myth, lure, fantasy of a white Christmas and sipping hot chocolate by the fire must be perpetuated.

The Late Fall/Christmas season in NYC is the "high season" in NYC. People all over the US want to visit NYC and go ice skating at 30 Rock and shop at Macy's or Sak's. Then New Year's Eve in Times Square. But visit NYC the first week of February and there are virtually no tourists whatsoever.

It took me 4 northeast winters and 5 midwest winters to figure that out. But I finally did. That being said, I understand the lure of skiing. But a one week ski vacation a year to Tahoe can take care of that...

I really feel like all southerners should spend 3 or 4 years in New England. If they did, there would be virtually no complaints of heat from any of them. They may begin to appreciate the advantages of a mild winter and would realize the hot summer is a small price to pay for 60 or 70 degree winter days.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
wooo hoo lucked out today. only 96 degrees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin