Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Ask the Apaches about their relationship with the Comanches in early 18th Century Texas.
And......also read the history of the Comanches...and their relationships with OTHER tribes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I don't believe the idea that arrogance is what Texas is all about. Since I first moved to Texas, in 1969, I have noticed that Texans have more pride in their state than many others, and have the boldness to state that. (I have to admit that I haven't lived all over the country, just Wisconsin, Texas, and California, but this is my impression.) Texans may have a good measure of confidence and swagger, but I have never seen it as arrogance. In fact, the attitude of personal superiority that defines arrogance is not something I have seen often. Most are helpful and friendly and welcoming, and most believe in things bigger than themselves. Texans are subject to the foibles that all humans are subject to, so yes, there are some arrogant ones, but I would not characterize all Texans that way. If that were true, there would be no "Texas friendly." So mimimom, if you are actually an arrogant person, so be it. But justifying that by calling all Texans arrogant is not something that holds water with me. Texas was built with courage, determination, a certain willingness to break the rules, some deception, stubbornness, love of the land, hard work, and the confidence to put that all together. And most Texans are humbled by the things they hold dear, and that is not arrogance.
We can argue semantics, what many call arrogance, I call pride. I'm proud to be a Texan, and I'll leave it at that.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:56 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,600 times
I don't know what they teach in public schools these days, but when I was in elementary school in San Antonio back in the 60s, Texas pride was part of the curriculum. Every morning, we had to sing The Eyes of Texas along after the Pledge of Allegiance. We had to learn the songs from the Alamo movie. I also recall years of Texas history.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I don't know what they teach in public schools these days, but when I was in elementary school in San Antonio back in the 60s, Texas pride was part of the curriculum. Every morning, we had to sing The Eyes of Texas along after the Pledge of Allegiance. We had to learn the songs from the Alamo movie. I also recall years of Texas history.
So, it appears your principal was a t-sip and a John Wayne fan.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,289 times
I don't think that my kid even knows the "eyes of Texas" ...well maybe from grandma not from school but he does know the Texas pledge and we are trying to make him forget that he was born in Nebraska where we lived for 3 years! We can't do much about the weather and those born or been here long enough know things at some point will flood and all will be normal again in Texas. Those newcomers are wondering what the h**l they got themselves into and perhaps they should not have paid so much attention to the "list" saying all was right in Texas or perhaps listened to us when we told them it was hot and bugs and snakes are everywhere. Texans are proud to live in a tough state..not everyone was meant to live here....

Old 08-19-2011, 12:47 PM

For everybody's info:

The "Eyes of Texas" is the University of Texas school song.

"Texas Our Texas" is the State of Texas song.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:54 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,792,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Isn't this true of all states, though? Of course, not Texas history, symbols, songs, etc., but about the culture and history of their own state?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,289 times
Capcat, I don't think every state has a whole class on it. My cousin before she moved here was in VA and she never had one in her days at public school.
Scopro-that is the reason my boys would know it cause generations of family members have been going to UT. I was the first one not to and get picked on all the time cause of it..went to SFA.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,792,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Capcat, I don't think every state has a whole class on it. My cousin before she moved here was in VA and she never had one in her days at public school.
Scopro-that is the reason my boys would know it cause generations of family members have been going to UT. I was the first one not to and get picked on all the time cause of it..went to SFA.
Go Lumberjacks! I didn't go there, but have a family member and many friends who did. Nice place.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Most states don't have the amazing history Texas has.

My brother graduated UT then got his MBA from SFA a long time ago.
One of his oldest friends, Bill Abbott, is a bigshot professor at SFA (English or History - don't remember which).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin