Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:14 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
HEB has no growth hormone milk for 3.14. The hill country fare milk is no growth hormones in little letters I think, just have to look at it.
I don't trust HEB at all when it comes to organics.

We were using Central Market organic milk since before our daughter was born. That's all she ever drank. When she was 3, she started having body odor which is one of the signs of added hormones in milk. We switched to Organic Valley instead and a few days later the problem went away. Not sure if that was just a coincidence, we bought some CM milk a few months later and the problem instantly reappeared. We switched back to to OV milk and it went away again. One and half years later and there's never been an instance of body odor since then. Scientific enough to be definite? No, but good enough for us to not risk it with HEB/CM milk.

From reading up on it, HEB/CM may use a supplier that allows hormone treated cows to enter the hormone free herd and be milked from day one. While technically now "hormone free" and under the lax rules can be labeled as such, they're still pumped up like an East German weight lifter.

Organic Valley is one of the few that does not allow hormone treated cattle to ever enter their herds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 PM

293 posts, read 730,244 times
I don't trust anything I read on a package of food. Most of the time it's there to sell it to you, not assist you in making an informed decision. The food industry does not want you to know what's going on behind the curtain.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 PM

172 posts, read 515,955 times
Promised Land full fat milk is fantastic.

But cheapest big box food store in Austin has to be Walmart, HEB, or Fiesta. Food is more expensive in Austin than California presumably because it's imported from longer distances.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:36 PM

55 posts, read 103,831 times
Try sprouts for cheap produce! And remember that you are lucky to buy milk at $3.xx a gallon, I pay that for a 1/2 gallon of specialty milk like almond or coconut.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:45 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times
I find food to be cheaper overall here than in the Midwest. A few things cost more like milk and meat. But most produce, yogurt, packaged goods are all substantially less. HEB's store brands are excellent, in many cases better than competing private labels.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:34 PM

134 posts, read 296,731 times
Well, it seems like gas is cheaper than CA in general by roughly 10 cents (according to Gasbuddy.com), and food is a bit more expensive than CA, even the central coastal area like Morro Bay. I surely like Austin much better than Atascadero and Morro Bay.
Both my wife and I feel Austinites are more friendly than Californians. We pray to the Lord, hoping Austin is the destination for our family. In the last decade, we moved from Seattle, to Minneapolis, to CA, and now Austin. Hopefully, this is it!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,266 times
Well, it's been 30 years since I lived in So. Cal., but I was astonished at the prices of groceries in CA compared to here (TX.) Maybe they got way cheaper in that period of time?

I recently went to visit a friend in CA who was talking about how the prices of groceries were pretty good esp. since they bring in so many items from Mexico. Got a really good laugh! Yeah, so do we! We're a border state too, remember?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin