Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2006, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 26,036 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am-as many seem to be- in southern Ca and looking to move to Austin, or possibly Dallas area. I had some questions, although I've read through just about every word I can find in this forum, other websites, magazines, newspaper, etc.. to get info on Austin. Of course we're going to take a trip out there, once I get more information, but this is what I'm interested in knowing, if there's someone out there who is kind enough to help:

Is the humidity generally better or worse in Austin vs. Dallas? How about the heat? The darn websites tend to show differing numbers depending on which one you're on.

Are there snakes in the Austin lakes? I've been told there are snakes in Dallas area waters, I'm assuming this is true. Are the Austin lakes (Travis and Austin) "swimmable"? Can you take your kids to a public area of the lake and float, swim, etc..?
Or is there some other body of water that people swim in?

Are the gated communities "nice"? This is so general of a question, I know. Are there nicer ones that you can recommend? We can only spend up to $800-$900K. We are really looking for a community feeling, with golf, pools, clubhouse, activities, restaurant, that type of thing. We have two boys in elementary school so a family area is important. Are there any communities with lake access and docks? Do most people have a boat they store somewhere or dock?

During the hot summer months, does the city "shut down" during the day, or do people still get outside? Or is it really just too hot to go out? Here where we live in Temecula, it has been so hot lately (100+!) that it looks like a ghost town, with A/C's whirring up and down the street. I'm wondering if it's similar there.

If anyone has any recommendations I would like to know of a top realtor in Austin. Someone that's been around, really knows the in's and out's of the city.

I really appreciate any help anyone can offer. Especially anyone who moved to TX from CA, any pointers, tips, help would be wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 05:52 PM

42 posts, read 164,062 times
For that kind of money, expect all you ask for, and then some - yes, it is hot and a drought is going on, but if you've read recent posts here (I just discovered this forum in last few days and have posted quite a bit), that can change quickly, as weather varies . There are many parks in town that have beautiful places to swim almost year round. Lakes abound - Travis is very low - swam there yesterday - better when level is up to more normal, but still swimable, but others without a water level problem, are not too far away. In town are 2 spring-fed (no clorine!) pools - one I haven't been to yet has family movies playing every friday in the summer - yes, that is a swim-in movie! This is a swimmer's paradise!
My realtor was great - I'll give you more details if you reply..(#1 in Austin in 2004). Austin is all about outdoors, sports (UT & Lance Armstrong, etc), parks and nature and gated communities are there but not really necessary (yet...?). I am a newbie to Austin, but been in Houston for 30 years - Sleepy Hollow, NY for my 1st 21 years or so...

Oh, I had a chance to move to Arlington TX (between Ft Worth & Dallas) for large bonus, but found no advantage over Houston - a bit depressing, economically ...dead strip centers and malls, lotsa crime on the news, mostly flat and hot dry instead of hot humid. I decided not to take the job.

Last edited by bumpy_1954; 09-04-2006 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-04-2006, 09:32 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,428 times
My husband and I were just in Austin last weekend for the first time so I can only answer a few of your questions.

One guy we talked to looked at me as if I was nuts when I asked if one can actually swim in the area lakes. As you probably know, in the few lakes that we have around the northern part of So Cal, you can't actually swim in them!

It was humid but I think I could actually tolerate a little humid heat than super dry heat----it feels "softer" to me somehow and just not as harsh and stinging. I've been to Vegas when it was 118 and was in Maui when it was really hot and I think I prefer the latter, plus it's better for the skin, right?

We visited some beautiful 4000 sq ft. + model homes just north of Austin (in Cedar Park) and thought we were in some kind of fairy tale when the sales rep told us that the base price was $375k and then maybe $100k when you factor in your upgrades. For $800/$900k, you'll have no problem finding something reaaaaallllly nice.

What we saw were not gated communities but they certainly had the feel of one. I'll email you privately with some links since I adding links here usually means that they'll be removed by the moderator.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 12,803 times
Default Austin Lakes and Streams

To MyBoysMom,
I have lived in Austin for 24 yrs-came from Alpine, Ca (So Cal). I understand why you ask re: swimming in lakes. You can swim in most of the lakes here, although I wouldn't swim in Town Lake (the one that runs through town.)
Here's a few that I have been to:
Lake Austin-cool water, swimmable, gets thick w/an aquatic plant "duck weed?" late in the summer-that's the ickiest part. A great place to swim on this lake is Emma Long Metro Park-a small swimming beach. A nice little bar/restaurant across the lake has live music on the weekends. ("The Pier")
Lake Travis-apparently one of the clearest lakes in Tx and very popular. Nice water temp. Nice simming areas and even a nude beach-Hippy Hollow. Not many rules as far as safety for those water skiing. If you've done skiing elsewhere you'll be familiar w/rules re: flying a flag to let others knnow you have a skier in tow. No such thing in Tx.
Lake Georgetown-North of Austin. This is a nice little lake. Russell Park has a little gravel beach. The river that feeds into lake Georgetown is a wonderful place for a dip and fishing-look for Tejas Camp on the North San Gabriel River.
Lake Buchanan has nice swimming areas-and bald eagles nest there in the winter. Lake LBJ is gorgeous!!
Then there's the water holes!!! Barton Springs is awesome and famous.Try the Blue Hole in Georgetwon. or the Blue Hole in Wimberley. Or Krause Springs in Spicewood. Krause Springs has a nice website-it's a beautiful place to go w/family. There are many places for a refreshing dip in the area.
I think Austin is more humid that Dallas. Don't believe them when they tell you you'll get used to the humidity. It's a lie. I hate the humidity. I like Austin but someday I'm moving where I can have the dry air again. But the need for lotion is much less. You'll tell the difference in your skin. Gotta have a/c. It was just an option in So Cal. Not here.
Have fun!!

Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 12,803 times
Default Snakes?

Occas you'll see a snake but the lakes are not by any means infested. In the 24 yrs I have lived near and played in these lakes, I've seen a few snakes-most nonvenomous. Austin has much fewer rattlesnakes than we had in the San Diego area. Our snake population includes copperheads (a gorgeous snake), coral snakes (rare), and water moccasins. Really, you don't see any of these often. I wouldn't worry. You will like Austin. It's the best city in the state.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:04 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
If you like scuba diving, Lake Travis is one of the top diving (by number of divers) lakes in the country. It isn't very clear near the surface, but below the thermoclines, it isn't bad. Of course, it is really just to keep in practice for somewhere really nice, like the caribbean!

Note that the snakes moonlitemom mentions by name are all the venemos ones. Water moccasins are the only ones you might see (and then rarely) unless you go looking. Copperheads are beautifully colored, but also quite well camoflauged. I have lived in Texas 40 years, and spend the first 10 or so looking for snakes around the Houston area. I have seen two coral snakes and three or four copperheads. I believe that Houston has more snakes, but of course, I had outgrown snake hunting by the time I came to Austin.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin