Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times

Advertisements

Pleasant and informative: don't base your decision on bloggers or city data forum.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 08-18-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:48 AM

28 posts, read 65,343 times
Can we first define what 'AA' is? Are you in Alcoholics Anonymous?

I read through the thread trying to find some context that would give me some clue, but still don't know. Something to do with black people??

Old 08-18-2011, 12:27 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,831 times
African American.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:42 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Okay, I go for #2 with an add-on. If you want to marry a black man (and have children) this might not be your town. At 29, you have 5 good years of fertility left...hate to have you burn through them looking for Mr. Right here...

Good luck!
But she may be open to other races. Are you willing to date white men? Hispanic men? That broadens your options a bit.

Nearby there is a white guy I know who is dating the equivalent of a black Pamela Anderson. She is extremely hot. If you look like that you will have no problem here

Old 08-18-2011, 02:43 PM

327 posts, read 766,911 times
Dating a black man who resides in Austin may be difficult. But dating a black man who lives around the ATX area is a bit more realizable. There are black visitors every once in a while from San Antonio (about an hour away) and Killeen (about an hour north). My black female friends have run into their, now, boyfriends by lurking around downtown Austin on the weekends or at a restaurant, etc. Only a couple of them are black, though, so I hope you aren't limited in what you want. You'll certainly have better chances in Houston or Dallas if a black guy is what you're looking for.

I'm a black male living in Harker Heights (near Killeen).

Old 08-18-2011, 07:06 PM

15 posts, read 19,176 times
I so realize no place is filled with milk and honey. I just needed an attention grabber. Im looking to move because where I live there is nothing to do and not very many men who are trying to do anything besides work at a mediocre job and go to th club on the weekends. Not that there is anything wrong with clubbing but they live and plan their lives around it. Oh, and when did having a Masters Degree become such a big deal. Most people I know have that or something more prestigious. Finally, there are many threads about Austin, but not many regarding how AAs feel about the city. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL RESPONSES.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:35 PM

152 posts, read 280,934 times
I think Austin is milk and honey, come on out!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:24 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
You definitely need to visit. It might be helpful if you stated where you're currently living as a basis of comparison. For example, if you're leaving San Diego because it lacks an abundance of African American Professionals, then Austin might not be your best choice.

The only reference point that I have is that I've worked with four very well educated and intelligent AAs in the past 5 years. Three of them have left Austin during that time. They moved to Houston, Atlanta, and Cambridge, MA. They all gave pretty much the same reason for moving that Austin just wasn't for them. The other one is still here and very happy as far as I can tell, but she is the only AA that I work with out of about 20 employees.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,758 times
On the non-dating side of things, particularly with looking for a job in the social services, you should be aware that there have been large layoffs and hiring freezes in state government as a result of the new budget.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM

597 posts, read 1,317,184 times
Don't move anywhere without a job. There are plenty of black people here but if you want a concentration of black people liked you'd find in Houston, Dc etc you'll be disappointed. There is also not a real "black club scene". I've found this to be a fun place. I never went to clubs anywsy. We go to more concerts, festivals and other events than at any other time in my life you have to have an open mind. Sade comedy club and two film festivals in the next six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin