U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,359 times

Advertisements

My family is considering relocating from Houston to Austin. We have two preschoolers and want at least an acre, wooded, views - no master planned communities. Property with guest house (in-laws) would be ideal or a community that would allow us to build one on our property.

We are familiar w/ Dripping Springs, but recently checked out Wimberley/Driftwood and fell in love. BUT...we'd like to know which area is BEST for young families. Our concern is that we won't find a community of young families in Wimberley/Driftwood because of it being marketed to retirees.

What do you locals think?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 PM

27 posts, read 107,592 times
Check out Howard Ranch. It's a Southern-living type community that allows guest cottages.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 08-15-2007 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 08-15-2007, 06:35 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,604,951 times
Wimberley is really nice and the schools are great but they are increasingly overcrowded and they've had no success passing bonds to build/rehab schools due to the large number of retirees not wanting to pay for your kids' education.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:46 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,629,307 times
I'm going out on a limb here because this is only a guess. I think the Driftwood/Wimberley area will shift quickly towards being more family-friendly. It's greener and prettier (in my opinion) than Dripping Springs and while it doesn't have the same established good schools and family networks, I think that's going to change soon because of all the people moving there.

A real estate agent who works those areas would have a MUCH better sense of what is likely to happen and what your best options would be. Perhaps you could live somewhere between D.S. and Driftwood? Then the school commute wouldn't be very far. The other thing to consider is that family life is damaged if YOU have to commute a lot. If you're never home to enjoy your own kids because you're stuck on Mopac/290 for an hour, it cuts into the benefits you're seeking for your family.

Everything has to be balanced and school district ratings are over-rated. Your children can have an excellent educational experience virtually anywhere, depending on many factors. There's a fantastic independent (non-religious) home-school network in the Austin area and it provides lots of opportunities for kids to meet many types of people in various settings, get involved in community theater and music, take classes at public schools without being formally enrolled, etc. Another thing to check out is the selection of private and "alternative" schools that are located in SW Austin towards D.S.

Best wishes, may your lives be better than you can even imagine! And please drive safe, the roads out there are horrible!!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:36 AM

389 posts, read 1,497,973 times
Well,
We moved into Driftwood in 1999 and can add some real hands on input..

Firstly, if you chose Wimberley, and commute to austin, you are not likely to be happy.. its long and getting longer VERY rapidly.
The other poster is dead correct on the schools, the current residents are not helping the schools at all, the elementary school is not rated well. There was to be a new one built but of course the residents voted down the bond ...then there's the whole "river" thing, (search this board for river access and wimberley) You can look at them, but DONT even think of using them unless you buy waterfront.$$$

That said it is a Large area wimb/driftwood/dripping/ with lots of school zonings all over it, chose carefully. Some subdivisions have houses in 4 different school zones!!

I would agree with Howard Ranch as being pretty nice, and I can give you links and post photos of nearly any subdivision in the area(if the board is interested I will post them here) You can email or pm me private..
Of Course any good realtor could as well. Without knowing your budget, I wouldnt know where to start though..
You will not get the density of kiddies that you would in a typical high density subdivision, but they are around and more moving in almost daily
( we have three kids all under 6yrs and had no trouble finding them!)
Hope this helps, again feel free to PM me
Cheers

Last edited by Driftwood1; 08-15-2007 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: adding to it

Old 08-15-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
...Some subdivisions have houses in 4 different school zones!!
As John McEnroe would say, "You cannot be serious!"

Wow, that sure makes the buyer's job a lot more difficult. Definitely need to work with a smart, highly ethical customer-friendly buyer's agent.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:02 AM

389 posts, read 1,497,973 times
Default which way did he go?

Indeed I am!!
I know of one where the kids go to either WISD-HCISD or DSISD with the HCISD (and I beleive 2 choices now for DSISD) ones even then being zoned to a different school, so, yes 4 different schools depending on which particular address, all less than 1/2 mile apart..

Your mission, should you decide to take it will be to guess which one
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
As John McEnroe would say, "You cannot be serious!"

Wow, that sure makes the buyer's job a lot more difficult. Definitely need to work with a smart, highly ethical customer-friendly buyer's agent.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
I know of one where the kids go to either WISD-HCISD or DSISD with the HCISD (and I beleive 2 choices now for DSISD) ones even then being zoned to a different school, so, yes 4 different schools depending on which particular address, all less than 1/2 mile apart..
Well, at least they're not doing school zoning based on which bedroom you occupy in a particular house... but it sounds like that's coming soon to a neighborhood near you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin