Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times

Advertisements

I judge my neighbors who don't recycle and this week out of 6 immediate neighbors I was the only one who had a bin out and it makes me a bit mad. As I looked down the street I saw maybe half recycle and I even noticed one trash can overstuffed with recyclable materials. I dont understand why people do not use this free service that is provided by the city. Thanks to single stream recycling we easily generate more recyclables than trash on a weekly basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Luckily pretty much everyone in my neighborhood recycles to some degree. Actually, we almost have the "opposite" problem in that there are some neighbors who haven't seemed to catch snap to the fact that the recycling is only picked up every other week as they put their recycling containers out every week

Old 08-19-2011, 08:55 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Umm...I haven't really paid that close of attention, but it pretty much seems every house on our street uses the recycle bin on the recycle pick up day. You aren't off by a week, are you ? We down-sized our garbage bin when they passed out the big recycle container, and quite a few of our neighbors did, too. I saw in another thread that they are proposing to increase the rates on the biggest sized garbage bin, so maybe your neighbors will simply be doing the city a service by paying a lot extra for the disposal of the recycling materials....sort of a revenue stream from the lazy....

Old 08-19-2011, 08:57 AM

326 posts, read 764,789 times
Yes!! And at work too! It irritates the heck of me when people throw water bottles, aluminum cans, paper or everything else recyclable in the trash!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 AM

743 posts, read 1,372,240 times
In our neighborhood, it's not a free service. I think we pay about $10 per month for it, in additional to the garbage fee.

So that explains why some of my neighbors don't recycle.

Otherwise, I just wouldn't spend my time worrying about what my neighbors do. Yeah, it would be great if everyone did, but that's just not human nature and there's only so much you can do about it besides public awareness and making it as simple as possible.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
I put my recycle bin out when it is full, which is probably once a month. I try not to have a lot of waste around the house, and since there are only 2 people in my house, we don't have a lot of bottles/cans etc.

So there will be times when I don't put out my recycling (because it's not full) and my neighbors may judge me (because they think I may not recycle at all). There are times when I put out recycling on the wrong day too. You just never know with me. I like to keep my neighbors guessing.

And no, I don't really pay attention to what they do.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:04 AM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times
We actually have two recycling containers, and manage to fill them both up. If I'm going to be charged for a large garbage can, then we'd probably better downsize.

I don't pay close attention or judge my neighbors recycling habits, but I think most do use the service.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:08 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I put out my recycling, but I definitely do not judge my neighbors who don't. Heck, who am I to do that when the neighbor across the street from me loads up her car with literally EVERYTHING that can be recycled, once a week, and drives it to the recycle center down the road herself.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
I put my recycle bin out when it is full, which is probably once a month
My wife insists that I take the recycling out on its day, whether it is full or not (or even half full). I guess she is worried we will have a sudden onslaught of recycling material and will need to use that whole, humongous bin in one week .

Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Wow, I never even thought to think that I'd ever be judged.

I understand why people might judge, but I don't think that's something serious enough to place judgement upon. I would never judge neighbors who don't. That's on them.

In my first house, I recycled every week. My bins were always full. When I got married and moved into my husband's house, the area didn't offer recycling, and it felt weird to not recycle. I lived there for about 2 years. In our current home, recycling service just became available a few months ago, and it's taking me some time to get back in the swing of recycling things, but I definitely try to be mindful. Our recylce bin isn't full each time, so we might not put it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin