Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:53 PM

15,243 posts, read 35,471,075 times

Advertisements

I am still trying to grasp 5,000 sf . Growing up, we lived many years in a couple of places that were around 3,000 sf, and it seemed pretty cavernous. We have two kids in 2,400 sf and it seems just about like a perfect fit. We could do a third (but aren't!) and would still stay here, although it might seem a wee bit tighter then.

OTOH, growing up we often did live on larger lots (5 acres) but in smaller towns (Georgetown). My dad always had a workshop (part of the 3,000 sf) and my mom had a barn. I think what you are looking for is next to impossible to find in Austin w/o a serious bankroll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 03:58 PM

21 posts, read 48,207 times
Well now my plan is to find the perfect house (if the stars line up and we can sell without losing our behinds) with all the "rooms" we need, that feels spacious, and just not tell him the s.f. until he tours it and sees that we have space for everything. If I can find a greenbelt lot of corner lot where I can't see my neighbors when I'm in every exterior room, he might go for it. I have a feeling I will have plenty of time to search for this perfect house though, but at least it will keep me somewhat distracted from how much I hate where we live.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:02 PM

21 posts, read 48,207 times
And yes, 5000 s.f. is insane. It feels like living in a museum or something. I need my kids closer.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,231,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesick707 View Post
Well now my plan is to find the perfect house (if the stars line up and we can sell without losing our behinds) with all the "rooms" we need, that feels spacious, and just not tell him the s.f. until he tours it and sees that we have space for everything. If I can find a greenbelt lot of corner lot where I can't see my neighbors when I'm in every exterior room, he might go for it. I have a feeling I will have plenty of time to search for this perfect house though, but at least it will keep me somewhat distracted from how much I hate where we live.
This sounds absolutely do-able.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,172,481 times
I think it depends on the situation what square footage is the best. We live in a home that is 3115 square feet and there is only 2 of us and it feels just right. The realtor tried to talk us out of it, thinking as we age 2 stories would be a problem. It won't because then we would add an elevator. We retired young and I like my space as hubby likes his. This house was the perfect solution, grandkids and I make alot of noise and hubby never hears it. The are no open large spaces which feel cavernous instead each room feels comfortable. The kitchen is the only room that has a larger feel to it,. We have an inside courtyard, which is wonderful for our dogs I never have to worry about them getting out and getting hurt . We purchased an extra lot so we would have 2/3 an acre. That is something you can look at with new communities as they are building.

I would visit many houses or do virutal tours online to make sure you know what will be a good fit for your family. Have you tried getting involved with the local community? Usually once you get involved you will feel better. Join the PTA at your children's school. Local church?

Good luck to you!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,806,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
"Happy wife, happy life." My husband lives by that motto.
until the husband has enough of it and gets a divorce.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,704,976 times
"Should husbands defer and give the final decision of which house to buy to our wives? Absolutely. As a husband, I’ve never once regretted letting my wife have her way or over-ride me on decisions related to house, home or kids.."

I wonder if he is still able to decide for himself whether he wants mustard or mayo on his burger. Seriously if my future wife told me we had to move to the Texas equivalent of this - and they do exist in this state too - we'd have to have a long talk:

http://www.chicagonewscoop.org/brief...st-after-boom/

Old 08-25-2011, 06:39 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,998,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
"Should husbands defer and give the final decision of which house to buy to our wives? Absolutely. As a husband, I’ve never once regretted letting my wife have her way or over-ride me on decisions related to house, home or kids.."

I wonder if he is still able to decide for himself whether he wants mustard or mayo on his burger. Seriously if my future wife told me we had to move to the Texas equivalent of this - and they do exist in this state too - we'd have to have a long talk:

http://www.chicagonewscoop.org/brief...st-after-boom/
Yes, I still make all my own decisions, believe me, except for those that I wisely defer to my wife. You seem to think that a man that does that is a whipped dog. No so.

I haven't seen any neighborhoods in Austin that look like the photo in your link.

Steve

Old 08-25-2011, 06:51 AM

15,243 posts, read 35,471,075 times
Quote:
Seriously if my future wife told me we had to move to the Texas equivalent of this - and they do exist in this state too - we'd have to have a long talk
Now, see, you are missing the more important issue....are you going to marry someone that wants to move to there? The issue then isn't that someone wanted to live there, it is that you married that person .

The idea I get is that Steve married someone with common sense, e.g trustworthy to make those choices.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 AM

662 posts, read 1,445,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
NW Hills or Great Hills? Doss is a great elementary school.

If you don't want to be far out, I would say Northwest Hills as well. Great Hills is a bit less expensive with newer houses and feeds to Hill or Davis both great elementary schools as well.

I view Avery Ranch as being a bit far from things. It is not Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin