Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 PM

27 posts, read 56,190 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have begun planning our move to Austin next September. We are both natives of Delaware, outside of Philadelphia, but have both lived in Philly for 12 years. We recently had a child and are expecting another. We've decided that we don't want to buy property and start a family in Philly. So, after visiting Austin last October we sort of decided it was the place for us to start a family...
We are both from artistic musical backgrounds. I was/am a painter, she sews, we both ride bicycles...However most of our collective focus, as of late, has been on being new parents.
So, if you're from Philly or the NE what has your experience been like? I'm not talking about food and topography. Have you experienced a sense of dislocation or out of placeness? How has living in Austin changed you?
As for young families- have you found Austin to be a gentler, more accommodating place to raise children? How is public education there?
Lastly, what neighborhoods would you suggest a young family of creatives look into? Perhaps an affordable changing type of neighborhood?
Likes and dislike NE and Philly folks!
thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 AM

522 posts, read 657,565 times
I'm originally from Philly, and moved here because of a job. I absolutely love it. But that's me. Your mileage may vary.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allarevessels View Post
So, after visiting Austin last October we sort of decided it was the place for us to start a family...
Visit now, not in October. We are in the season that will break a man.

Quote:
Have you experienced a sense of dislocation or out of placeness? How has living in Austin changed you?
As for young families- have you found Austin to be a gentler, more accommodating place to raise children? How is public education there?
Lastly, what neighborhoods would you suggest a young family of creatives look into? Perhaps an affordable changing type of neighborhood?
I am very out of place.
Austin has changed me to be very stressed out. If you are from a city now you may already be used to living in a highly populated area.
I have no kids but from what I have heard and read about public education in Texas I would not want my kids to go through it. Don't take that as fact given my very indirect involvement.
What is affordable to you?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
I have a co-worker that is a native Philadelphian (if that is what they are called) and he and his wife love it here, although they are very positive people and would probably do fine anywhere. They have had two young kids since moving here and will be using the public schools, although they are currently using a montessori school for the older (pre-k). They are both outside-active people and dislike the cold, so they are also somewhat of a natural fit. They do both go back to Philly to see family at least once or twice a year.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:16 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
I am originally from the Philly burbs. It could really go either way. Although I don't hate it here, if given the opportunity, I would move back in a heartbeat.

And I agree with the previous poster. Come back and visit now. Experience 110 degree heat indexes. See what no rain for months does to the landscape. I know it gets that hot in Philly too, but there is a HUGE difference between a heat wave for a week or two, and 3-4 months of it.

Topography aside, you also have to realize that Austin is not a big city. It's no where near the size of Phila. It is really more of a large town. It does not have the amenities that Phila has. You have to drive everywhere. You are a solid 4 hour drive from the closest coast. There is no zoo. There aren't really any great museums. The one main park, Zilker, can not hold a candle to Faimount Park (which is actually bigger than Central Park). The closest amusement parks are 2 hours away in San Antonio. There are no mountains you can drive to in less than a day. These things may not seem like deal breakers to you now, but after a few years, they will.

And I have to mention the heat again. Even those amenities we do have can not really be enjoyed in this heat. It really prevents you from spending any time outside, especially if you have little ones. And being forced inside really magnifies the lack of museums and such. My daughter actually told me that it was too hot to go swimming. And she's right. The water was not even cool.

I also miss the change in seasons. Do I miss shoveling snow? No. But I do miss not being able to go sledding with my kids, building snowmen, the crisp air and beautiful leaves in fall, etc. Two years ago, my then 4 year old told Santa that all she wanted for Christmas was snow. It broke my heart.

Schools here vary from very good to very bad, same as anywhere. The schools in the outlying suburbs tend to be a little better IMO than Austin schools, but that's true for Philly schools as well.

I can't emphasize coming here and spending some more time enough. And not just in the Fall or Winter. For every person that has come here and loved it, there is another person that has come here and hated it.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:59 AM

385 posts, read 1,248,429 times
It is so hard to know how you will feel about a place years down the road. For me, Austin was utopia the first couple years, but then the lack of rain, the endless heat, the brown landscape and lack of culture really started to get to me. I think it's great to move somewhere really different for a time. It makes you appreciate where you come from so much more.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:58 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
It is so hard to know how you will feel about a place years down the road. For me, Austin was utopia the first couple years, but then the lack of rain, the endless heat, the brown landscape and lack of culture really started to get to me. I think it's great to move somewhere really different for a time. It makes you appreciate where you come from so much more.
Yes. I really put some things in perspective for me and showed me what I value. Although I am ready to move on I can't say I regret it because of what I learned.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:14 PM

150 posts, read 250,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
That's probably the best advice I could also give. No doubt we are all hoping that these hot summers are not the norm and we will get back to some cooler weather (90s?) in the future.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
And I have to mention the heat again. Even those amenities we do have can not really be enjoyed in this heat. It really prevents you from spending any time outside, especially if you have little ones. And being forced inside really magnifies the lack of museums and such. My daughter actually told me that it was too hot to go swimming. And she's right. The water was not even cool.
If you want cold water, try Barton Springs, Hamilton Pool, or Krause Springs.

Also, try going to the pool in the evening. Nothing beats a late night swim, you can't do that in most of America without freezing when you get out of the water. A night swim is so wonderful here.

And you'll still be able to go swimming into late September or early October. That's the great thing about it. I had a pool party in late September one time. It was still 94 degrees outside and the water temp was great. Try going swimming in late September in Philly.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:38 PM

554 posts, read 1,746,129 times
I don't think it matters if people came here from Philly or LA, its a different place unless you are from TX. This pretty much sums it up

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin