Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,433 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds somewhat picky but let me explain. I'm having alot of trouble finding a place in Austin which seems suitable. I've looked at all the lofts online but they're all rather modern and built for the purpose. This isnt what I am in search of.

I dont care for many of the modern appliances or amenities. Ive always washed my dishes by hand and I can do laundry else where. I simply want a small loft with a kitchen, bath, and bed/living room. I would imagine that some of the small businesses have a second story that they regularly rent out. I can imagine that there are plenty of these but they probably dont advertise them online or through any realtors.
It doesnt need to be fancy, "hip," or in any specific location, or any specific condition. I just need a place to lay my head. Of course the first response is going to be "whats your price range" ... im broke but good with money.

So this leads me calling on you locals. Have you see anything that might fit the bill? please?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:33 PM

844 posts, read 2,019,477 times
There aren't plenty of them. Austin never had a big industrial downtown core or multiple smaller town main streets that could feature converted warehouses or storefronts. I don't believe there are that many buildings that offer this in Austin.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:08 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
There aren't plenty of them. Austin never had a big industrial downtown core or multiple smaller town main streets that could feature converted warehouses or storefronts. I don't believe there are that many buildings that offer this in Austin.
Agreed. Needle in a haystack. Some of the newer live/work condos in East Austin are the closest I can think of, but those are not cheap. Otherwise you'd be looking at something in an older downtown building or chopped up old house in the Downtown/UT area. What few of those there were have slowly disappeared over the years, or become expensive as the downtown residential trend has emerged as more desirable.

If you're looking for cheap, quirky, non-standard digs in the central core, your best bet is Craigslist (real estate sewer that it is) or word of mouth roommate openings. You're best find would be what we call a "garage apartment" around here, usually in back of a house or above a garage.

Steve

Old 08-24-2011, 11:52 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
There's one place in Hutto's downtown that someone converted into living space with a business space in front. I toured it because it's for sale, but it's actually quite large (probably bigger than my house or so it seems). It's been a home for quite a long time and needs some updating, but it's very cool (at least to me) I have no idea if anything like that exists in downtown Georgetown or any of the other smaller downtowns around Austin. I agree with "Needle in a haystack".

Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
I'll bet you could find several "raw" space second floors in downtown Taylor or Georgetown (with Taylor being the cheaper option), but you would have to renovate them yourself.

Check out the photos of Taylor's Main Street here:

http://www.tndtownpaper.com/Volume5/...ylor_texas.htm

Old 08-24-2011, 12:48 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I think you want Philly! Or Chicago!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I think you want Philly! Or Chicago!
They've got basements too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin