Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:47 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times

Advertisements

Foreclosres are often jacked up. It's very common for people to trash them, loot them or for them to fall into disrepair before someone else buys it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:59 AM

144 posts, read 295,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Have you considered Taylor?
You know, I don't know much about Taylor. Would it be too far of a drive into Austin even if it's just north Austin? I go to ACC at the moment and I really like a couple of the campuses so I want to stay close enough to them. (riverside and north ridge [metric]). I really am open to a lot right now and I think that's my problem. I'm slowly narrowing it down to where I want to live and where I don't want to live.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 AM

326 posts, read 764,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandavision View Post
I really am open to a lot right now and I think that's my problem. I'm slowly narrowing it down to where I want to live and where I don't want to live.
You will have enough time to find a house you want in a few months (that's your time frame, right?). Be patient, view plenty of houses, and you will have a very good idea of what you can buy in your prince range in different areas, which will also help you decide the area that fit you best. Also consider the potential future growth of each area you are interested.

I was told the RE market will be slower in the "winter" months, but you probably can find some good deals when certain sellers want to sell in a hurry.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:08 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I've had clients who either lived in Taylor and got jobs in Austin and commuted, and clients who've had jobs in Austin (North, usually, but not always) who moved to Taylor. They seem to find the commute acceptable as long as it's not to far Southwest Austin or something. There's more than one way to get south, by the way, and sometimes the older roads turn out to be quicker, oddly enough, perhaps because there's not so much traffic.

In my experiences with buyers, the narrowing it down process you're talking about is more common than not for first time buyers, and even for buyers with a house or two under their belt. It's just part of the process of buying a home. Sometimes, too, you end up happily ever after in a house that is entirely different from the crystal clear picture in your mind you started out with!

Old 08-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Yes I would like to find a home in a few months but if it doesn't happen I won't be hurt financially or anything like that. That being the case, I have more time to look at more places.

Taylor does seem like a good place. I've been there a few times and like cls88 said it is one of those places that has potential future growth. Do you happen to know of any neighborhoods to start looking in and what the price range is. I am willing to go a little over $100,000 but don't want to. If it is over $100,000 I would have to consider it harder than most. I just want a good starter home that is pretty small but big enough, if you know what I mean. I don't want to hire a maid service just to clean my house because I can't handle it.

Anyway, TexasHorseLady, are you a realtor in the area or just experienced on this topic? Haha. Because you actually have helped me with your hints on home buying.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:48 PM

Wow, I pulled up a home in Taylor and it is absolutely beautiful for $99,000 on 2 acres. I'm going to look at it tomorrow afternoon so I will keep you guys posted on it. It has 2 bedrooms, a loft, an office and 1 1/2 bath. It is exactly what I was looking for. Sorry for all the excitement but if you were ever a first time home buyer you would understand haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin