Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 PM

144 posts, read 295,980 times

Advertisements

I don't know about any of you hear but I need to start working out before I let my little belly fat and thighs get out of hand. I haven't joined a gym yet but i did a free 3 day trial at 24 hour fitness. They had a lot of things I liked but there is always a catch. You have to scan your finger to sign it... what the heck is that all about?? Oh, and not to mention, the people that stare at you while you're working out. I want to work out using the equipment they have but without all the people staring you down and the muscles heads walking around like idiots haha. I have nothing wrong with people having big muscles but it just seem they are there to look at people and have people look at their muscles as if they are some important person. It's silly, I just want to work out without all the drama. Any suggestions on my dilemma? It's way to hot to be working out outside during the day and it's too scary to have a routine workout outside at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Just ignore them. To be honest, they are too self absorbed to notice you anyway.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Just ignore them. To be honest, they are too self absorbed to notice you anyway.
Haha. That's a good way to look at it. But, do all gyms do a fingerprint scan nowadays? I think that is a little over the top. They could just have you show an ID like it was in the old days.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:25 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
My gym doesn't scan your fingerprint.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of 24 hour, they've had issues when customers stop their membership. Basically they keep charging the accounts. There was a class action lawsuit on this.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:05 AM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
I haven't checked them out yet, but there are a few places around called Planet Fitness. They are super cheap - like $10 a month and they tout that it's a "judgement free zone" whatever that means. There will always be gym rats and muscle heads...as cBach said, they are generally self absorbed. If they are looking at you it's only because they want you to look at them (and admire them ) back. I used to belong Gold's Gym and it was the same way. It also took an act of congress to get them to quit drafting my account when I quit. I'd like to find a gym that is up front with their membership policies!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,933 times
I like the finger scan system at 24. They have numerous locations in the USA and, when traveling, I don't have to produce an ID card to use other facilities. I think a lot of people are self conscious and, although there are some gawkers, not everyone is looking at you. Frequently the cardio machines are situated directly facing those who are using the weights and to avoid seeing what you are doing, they would have to turn their heads aside or close their eyes. What is offensive are the the men who only use the lockerooms and never the equipment. They stand around naked with obviously something other in mind than taking a shower and changing clothes. Gym memberships are structured to take advantage of those who use them for awhile and then only sporadically. 24 has a deal where you pay three years in advance at regular price and then lifetime membership is only $35 per year. That is the plan I have been on for quite awhile.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 AM

Hey, Moonlady. I've seen the Planet Fitness around a few times but I haven't been yet. Has anyone been to a Planet Fitness before? $10 a months really good and I don't need all the fancy saunas and pools. I just want a gym that stays open late, not that crowded, a decent size locker room and a variety of work out machines. I usually use the treadmill, an ab workout, stationary bike (the ones where you sit up straight and peddle in front of you) and something I could do my arms with(I don't do much of the arm work out). cBach, what gym do you use? You don't have to tell me especially if it's not a big chain. I'm not going to stalk you haha.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,129 times
A set of dumbbells and some basic calisthenics will give you a workout just as good as all of those fancy machines at the gym. You dont need lots fo weight or lots of resistance to get positive results. Look here Dumbbell Exercises | Complete Guide to Dumbbell Exercises and here Calisthenics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are the type of person who isn't motivated at home then leave the dumbbells in front of your sopt on the couch or in front of the TV. Add walking to your routine and you are good to go.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the info. Someguyatx!

My biggest problem I have with working out at home is doing sit ups or crunches. I don't really know the best way to do them without hurting myself trying to keep my legs put... Any suggestions on that?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
My gym doesn't scan your fingerprint.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of 24 hour, they've had issues when customers stop their membership. Basically they keep charging the accounts. There was a class action lawsuit on this.
Not to mention that not all their locations are 24 hour - which makes them a bunch of liars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin