U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 10,053 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy (if they're still around nowadays) Water softener/installer for install of the product in a home in Round Rock?

I'm trying to stay away from the high priced products from Kinetico and Culligan and don't want to purchase from the big box stores knowing that their service is almost non-existent.

Thanks in advance for the information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 AM

481 posts, read 2,191,306 times
I used Choice Water Conditioning. I was like you and wanted a good system but not kinetico prices. I have been very happy with the softener so far. I have had it for almost 2 years now with no problems. I think it was $1495 which included installation, delivery, salt. It did not include haul away of old unit. They had a smaller size for less than $1000 but we are a big house, big family so needed to a bigger system. I order salt from them 2 - 3 times a year. They charge me $40 for 4 big bags (bigger bags than in store) and he also checks my system each time. It would be a little cheaper filling it up yourself but the extra money was worth it for him to keep an eye on it.

Good Luck.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM

8,556 posts, read 14,666,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewjn View Post
Can anyone recommend a trustworthy (if they're still around nowadays) Water softener/installer for install of the product in a home in Round Rock?

I'm trying to stay away from the high priced products from Kinetico and Culligan and don't want to purchase from the big box stores knowing that their service is almost non-existent.

Thanks in advance for the information.
Make sure you get an 'apples to apples' bid comparison, if you go that route. If you don't have a 'pre-plumbed' loop, the cost will go up significantly. We went with RainSoft and are very happy; but their cost would make Culligan look like a Brita filter. Glad we bought it when we had a few extra bucks in the bank.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 AM

6 posts, read 10,053 times
Default Water Softeners/Installers in Round Rock, TX

I ended up going with Choice Water Softeners - Pleased with their install schedule (this was in Oct 2011) and with the unit I bought.

Thanks to motherofthree.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:54 PM

97 posts, read 388,194 times
I went with Kinetico. But with a twist...

The beauty of the Kinetico system is that it is all mechanical there simply isn't anything to break. If something is broken it would be noticable at inspection or a $5 plastic gear. So with that in mind I went to Craigs List found a newer model system and bought it for $600. It was the double tower system and had the pre filter carbon tower. Then got a company to inspect it, install it, and tune it for $300. Bam a $4,000 system for $900 bucks.

That was 3 years ago and I have had nice soft water ever since.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:52 AM

70 posts, read 151,793 times
@scottsheehann - a nice trick worked out really well, kudos to you.

How much does it cost to pre-plumb for water softener, is it good to go with the builder for a new construction or get it done later ?

Last edited by atxb; 04-02-2012 at 12:03 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 05:12 PM

atxb,

I wanted to just hit reply to tell you I saw your post. But at this time I can't spare enough time to answer it. I will try to reply within a day though. In short I would not get the builder to do anything you don't have to. They will get you with it only adds $13 a month to your bill but when you add it all up over 30 yrs and 6% you end up paying BIG $$$$. For it.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 PM

Okay for now that I have a minute. Like I said earlier I wouldn't use the builder to do any more than I have to. That being said there is one exeption to that rule. If I were at the planning stage of a house before the slab had been poured. I would shell out the extra bucks to have the builder do 3 things. 1. Bring the water into the home under the slab and run two lines one to the outside faucets and run the main line were ever I planed to put the water softener with it coming out of the wall about 3" making a 90 running across the wall about 16" and turning and going back into the wall to the rest of the home. 3. Down at the floor where I planned on having the softener run a 1.5" pipe (with a pee trap) into the slab and tie it into the sewer line leaving the home. This way your not softening the outside water, and your home is ready to go for the system when you add it and since the lines are in the slab instead of out you won't have to worry with them freezing in the winter. If your home is going to have a thick outside wall or a rock face where your outside faucets are located I would also put in 8"-12" sillcocks. If you are not familiar with what a sillcock is. It is a special faucet that has the valve deeper down the faucet line (in the wall) so you don't have to worry with covering the faucets in the winter to keep them from freezing.

As far as pre plumbing cost I can't say. I was lucky enough for my home to already be pre plumbed because it came with a chepo electric softener.
I can't imagine it costing anymore than a few hundered if done during the plumbing stage of the home being built.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM

70 posts, read 151,793 times
Thank you very much for the detailed reply and sorry for late response. Yes, the plumbing goes into the slab now it is in the plumbing stage, but i'm not sure whether it is designed to soft the whole house water or just for that goes inside the house, i will check it out, again THANK YOU very much.

I saw the sillcock pic online, yes, they are putting sillcocks for the outside faucets, btw the home will have a rock face outside, about the preplumbing for softener cost i ran out the time to pull it out but builder is charging around $700 which comes with the warranty, probably i may be paying more but when it comes to plumbing i saw my friend's house where a repair messed up the plumbing and i really want to avoid that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin