Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:13 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austownian View Post
Honestly, shopping in Austin sucks. I love The Domain and Barton Creek... Never been a fan of Lakeline, and going into Highland "Mall" reminds me of Detroit... Dead! Round Rock Outlets are okay, but nothing fancy.

One of the things I hate most about Austin is its lack of shopping.... Aside from the small businesses
Could be worse. We could be in San Antonio, which doesn't have a Fry's or Ikea. I could probably do without the Ikea, but can't live without Fry's...

Speaking of Ikea, did you know they are expanding the Round Rock store to 306,000 square feet? http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ock-store.html

That will make it as large as the Houston store (maybe larger?). Most of the info about the Houston Ikea lists it as 300K square feet, but I don't know the exact number. It was expanded to that size in 2003.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 05:16 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,266,854 times
Barton Creek Mall is ok i guess, lakeline is just a hillbilly mall with lots of poor people running around. The Domain is probably the best thing that Austin has to offer, but it's an outdoor mall. 6 months out of the year you cant go there because of the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austownian View Post
Honestly, shopping in Austin sucks. I love The Domain and Barton Creek... Never been a fan of Lakeline, and going into Highland "Mall" reminds me of Detroit... Dead! Round Rock Outlets are okay, but nothing fancy.

One of the things I hate most about Austin is its lack of shopping.... Aside from the small businesses

Old 10-31-2011, 08:27 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Barton Creek Mall is ok i guess, lakeline is just a hillbilly mall with lots of poor people running around. The Domain is probably the best thing that Austin has to offer, but it's an outdoor mall. 6 months out of the year you cant go there because of the weather.
Not enough "high end" people around for you? Lakeline has lots of poor people? Are you such an arrogant snob that a typical middle class person at Lakeline is a "poor" person?

And since people boat and play golf 10-11 months of the year, I think they can shop at the Domain too. I see people at the Domain all year.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:03 PM

Although I see people there all the time year round, I'm not really a fan of the Domain. To Dallas for me. But it does have an Apple Store, and if you are a fan of expensive chain restaurants it's got that too.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:22 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,155 times
Is there a mall / life north of Anderson? That's where my point of reference ends......with good reason.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:30 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,066 times
The Domain although I like going to the Round Rock Outlet, Barton Creek, and Lakeline.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,266,854 times
I also see crazy people riding their bikes along Parmer when it's 105 degrees in July. Trying to prove a point that "in austin you can be outside year round". Like I said, 6 months out of the year, the average individual cannot be outside in Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Not enough "high end" people around for you? Lakeline has lots of poor people? Are you such an arrogant snob that a typical middle class person at Lakeline is a "poor" person?

And since people boat and play golf 10-11 months of the year, I think they can shop at the Domain too. I see people at the Domain all year.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:16 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,316 times
Quote:
I also see crazy people riding their bikes along Parmer when it's 105 degrees in July. Trying to prove a point that "in austin you can be outside year round". Like I said, 6 months out of the year, the average individual cannot be outside in Austin.
I'm pretty average and as long as it's not pouring down rain, I get a walk in just about every day. I usually go before 11 AM. However, if I am just walking from shop to shop, I can manage in 90 something degrees.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I also see crazy people riding their bikes along Parmer when it's 105 degrees in July.
It's a lot easier and more pleasant to ride in 105 degree dry weather than it is when it's 40 and raining... and under 32 degrees or with frozen precip, forget it. Can't do it. So yeah, the weather is why people ride here year round.

But what does that have to do with malls?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 AM

285 posts, read 567,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Are you such an arrogant snob that a typical middle class person at Lakeline is a "poor" person?
That insult isn't snobbery, it's a byproduct of stupidity and willful ignorance.

eepstein lives in Avery Ranch and has worked in "transportation" - thus, his income may be above average, but he certainly isn't making any real money and is in no position to look down on the firmly middle class clientele of Lakeline as "poor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin