Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I also see crazy people riding their bikes along Parmer when it's 105 degrees in July. Trying to prove a point that "in austin you can be outside year round". Like I said, 6 months out of the year, the average individual cannot be outside in Austin.
Did you ever think they were doing that because they wanted to get exercise, not prove something about Austin???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:51 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
Riding at 3pm-5pm during the hottest part of the day to get exercise? Really?? One could go out first thing in the morning. When I lived in Sacramento (a city FAR cooler than Austin overall), i never saw people riding during the hottest part of a 100 degree day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Did you ever think they were doing that because they wanted to get exercise, not prove something about Austin???

Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Riding at 3pm-5pm during the hottest part of the day to get exercise? Really?? One could go out first thing in the morning. When I lived in Sacramento (a city FAR cooler than Austin overall), i never saw people riding during the hottest part of a 100 degree day.
Ahh....Sacramento. On another thread you lied about Austin's debt. Sacramento's financial condition is clearly worse.

http://www.cityofsacramento.org/trea...dys_Report.pdf

They may have better weather for "heat of the day" exercise, but somehow we Austinites manage to shop in an outdoor mall year round! Lots of Christmas shoppers at the Domain and the Arboretum. And in the middle of summer too!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:06 AM

Never once said that Sacramento wasn't having it's share of economic issues. It certainly is no doubt about it. However, it is FAR more pleasant to be outdoors during the summer in Sac than in Austin. Just cant understand why so many people PURPOSELY ride their bikes during the hottest, most miserable part of the day during the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Ahh....Sacramento. On another thread you lied about Austin's debt. Sacramento's financial condition is clearly worse.

http://www.cityofsacramento.org/trea...dys_Report.pdf

They may have better weather for "heat of the day" exercise, but somehow we Austinites manage to shop in an outdoor mall year round! Lots of Christmas shoppers at the Domain and the Arboretum. And in the middle of summer too!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:18 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Maybe they can't get out in the morning? Some people have to start working real early and may not want to get hit by passing cars in the pre dawn darkness.

Or maybe the heat doesn't bother them? What is it to you? Austin attracts people that are outdoorsy that prefer hotter climates. Places like Denver attract people that are outdoorsy that prefer cold climates. So you're going to see people out in the heat of the day here because Austin attracts those types of people. You won't see anyone out in the heat of the day in Houston since Houston prides itself on being an indoor air conditioned city and attracts mostly lazy people who want to stay in A/C all day. I suspect Sacramento is more like Houston than Austin. That's the reason why I live here in Austin, by the way. I like being around other people that don't mind being outside even if it's hot. To each his own though.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Never once said that Sacramento wasn't having it's share of economic issues. It certainly is no doubt about it. However, it is FAR more pleasant to be outdoors during the summer in Sac than in Austin. Just cant understand why so many people PURPOSELY ride their bikes during the hottest, most miserable part of the day during the summer.
I used to do that (when I was contracting from home). I'd purposefully go out at the hottest point of the day and go for a nice long ride. It may not be for everyone but it is an awesome feeling once you're done, a very major workout. At the time, it wasn't about nice weather and scenery, it was about the workout, the weather merely dictated how I dressed and how much water I brought with me.

Anyway, trying to bring things back on topic. I was once again amazingly annoyed at the layout of the Domain. We were shopping for the wifey and wanted to hit the Dillards plus Macy's (and a few other shops in section 1). Having to either do the Bataan death march or hop in the car to get from one section to the other (or hunt around for the phone number to get the shuttle) is just plain dumb. They seriously need to come up with a consistent shuttle and rethink the overall integration of the various sections. Section 2 still seems to be suffering even while section 1 is doing pretty well. Once Whole Foods opens, tucked away into the corner, then things are just going to get worse. Honestly, isn't this Design 101 type stuff?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
So you are saying the other 22 hours per day are just fine for riding, even in the hottest part of the summer. Sounds right to me. Probably why there are so many cyclists here in Austin.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:50 PM

322 posts, read 748,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I used to do that (when I was contracting from home). I'd purposefully go out at the hottest point of the day and go for a nice long ride. It may not be for everyone but it is an awesome feeling once you're done, a very major workout. At the time, it wasn't about nice weather and scenery, it was about the workout, the weather merely dictated how I dressed and how much water I brought with me.

Anyway, trying to bring things back on topic. I was once again amazingly annoyed at the layout of the Domain. We were shopping for the wifey and wanted to hit the Dillards plus Macy's (and a few other shops in section 1). Having to either do the Bataan death march or hop in the car to get from one section to the other (or hunt around for the phone number to get the shuttle) is just plain dumb. They seriously need to come up with a consistent shuttle and rethink the overall integration of the various sections. Section 2 still seems to be suffering even while section 1 is doing pretty well. Once Whole Foods opens, tucked away into the corner, then things are just going to get worse. Honestly, isn't this Design 101 type stuff?
Yeah, those LCRA power lines really **** with the flow of the mall. Pretty lame, but they can't build anything underneath them execpt a big ass parking lot. They differently need some sort of scheduled shuttle.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 AM

I must admit, the domain is a nice attempt at Dallas type shopping. However, Austin doesn't want to be ANYTHING like Dallas, so that is a bit contridictory, don't cha think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post

Old 11-03-2011, 08:40 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
Yeah, those LCRA power lines really **** with the flow of the mall. Pretty lame, but they can't build anything underneath them execpt a big ass parking lot. They differently need some sort of scheduled shuttle.

I lived very close to The Domain when I lived in Austin, and I love that place--in the cooler weather. It truly is the Bataan Death March as an earlier poster put it during the summer. I agree about the shuttle being a necessity since it was so annoying to shlep to the car and drive to the other end.

The shops and restaurants at The Domain are both high end and moderate. My kids loved Forever 21, American Eagle, etc., and I like the big department stores.

The big trees they left there and the beautiful fireplace next to Starbucks with various artists performing there is very pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin