U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 PM

16,791 posts, read 45,472,401 times

Advertisements

Austin Water to Enact Stage 2 Watering Restrictions September 6

City of Austin

Quote:
Beginning Tuesday, September 6, Austin Water will enact Stage 2 Mandatory Watering Restrictions due to the exceptional drought in Central Texas.

Stage 2 Watering Restrictions are in line with the City’s Drought Contingency Plan which states, in part, that the City Manager may order additional water restrictions when the combined lake storage levels of Lakes Travis and Buchanan reaches 900,000 acre-feet. It is anticipated that the trigger will be reached next week.

The City of Austin believes it is necessary to implement additional restrictions to help ensure adequate water supply during the drought. To ensure that both residential and commercial customers follow restrictions, Austin Water staff will begin stepped-up enforcement.

Violations of mandatory watering restrictions will result in an official warning followed by a citation if the violation is not corrected. Citations will be issued in Municipal Court with fines set during Stage 2 at $475.

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-19-2011 at 03:42 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 03:41 PM

2,102 posts, read 4,230,540 times
How exactly are they going to enforce this?

Old 08-19-2011, 03:44 PM

14,576 posts, read 32,112,533 times
They don't really, unless there is a complaint, in which case I think they do drive-by's to check.

I think they should just start kicking the cost way, way up there for usage over, say, 6,000 or 7,000 gallons a month...

Old 08-19-2011, 03:45 PM

554 posts, read 1,636,898 times
Yeah thats why I posted the no rinse car wash thread earlier this afternoon. I'm surprised it has taken this long and I expect the surrounding areas to have similar restrictions soon.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
How exactly are they going to enforce this?
Same way they have in the past, they have a few enforcement officers driving around town looking for violations and say they are hiring more. I expect to a large degree they count on neighbors turning in violators.

FAQ http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/con...aq08-18-11.pdf

Quote:
How do I report violations of the ordinance?
To report a violation, you may call Austin 3-1-1 or report online at City of Austin - Water Conservation - Home [/b]
When reporting a violation, please be prepared to provide the address, time and date of violation,
and type of violation. Additional information such as a business name or specific location on the
property is also helpful.
Please note that we are not typically able to respond immediately to 311 reports. However, we do
use the reported information to follow up on reports at a time likely to observe the violation, and to
prioritize patrols by neighborhod.

Are you really enforcing the ordinance?
Since the revised Water Use Management Ordinance took effect October 1, 2007, efforts have
focused on educating customers. During Stage 2, violations witnessed by City staff will result in
an official warning by mail. The violator must return proof of having corrected the problem or a
citation will be issued in municipal court. Any observation of a repeat violation will result in
immediate citation.

I’ve reported a violation several times – why hasn’t there been a citation?
Additional enforcement personnel are being enlisted to ensure that we can investigate all
reported watering violations; patrols and investigations will be scheduled around the clock.
However, a staff member must witness and document the violation before a citation can be
issued. We are not typically able to respond immediately to all 311 reports, but we do use the
reported information to follow up on reports at a time likely to observe the violation, and to
prioritize patrols by neighborhod.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:57 PM

481 posts, read 2,268,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I think they should just start kicking the cost way, way up there for usage over, say, 6,000 or 7,000 gallons a month...
I really think that's the only way people will cut back although 6,000 may be a little low. I'm a family of 6 and our best months are around 7,000 and that's in the winter time so there would be no room for landscape watering. Gotta at least save the trees.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 PM

481 posts, read 2,268,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Austin Water to Enact Stage 2 Watering Restrictions September 6

City of Austin

I water only one day a week right now from midnight to 7 am which is our cutoff. They have the cutoff at 10 am.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:00 PM

14,576 posts, read 32,112,533 times
Yeah, I just pulled that number out of the air (or water, as the case may be), but there is already a tiered billing system, the highest of which is obviously intended for landscaping water. Mover that one up by a factor of 3 or 4......

Old 08-19-2011, 04:14 PM

648 posts, read 1,828,178 times
We water by hand a lot due to not having a sprinkler system. Last month our water bill was more than electricity. Big lot.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
They don't really, unless there is a complaint, in which case I think they do drive-by's to check.

I think you need to re-evaluate your numbers, 6.000 to 7,000 is extremely low when you include summertime . The only time most households ever get usages that low is in the dead of winter when the sprinkler system is completely off. My next door neighbor who is extremely frugal has exceeded that 5 out of 12 months last year. My usage was under 6000 only once in the last 12 months, and that was when the sprinkler system was completely off, with only two retired adults living in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin