Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 PM

118 posts, read 561,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Hard to tell from the pic...it might be a little hog-nosed snake...does his nose curve up to a point?
I'm not sure what kind of snake that guy is... I think snakes are neat, but I'm no good at id'ing them. I googled him, tho, and thought he might be a juvenile yellow belly racer snake? Here's a pic of his belly, but it's not yellow, so I dunno. He was anxious to be on his way, so I didn't get any other good pics.

And I think the little brown guy is the Texas toad, but not sure about that, either. He is indeed cute... I don't know how many of those I've rescued from the pool the past couple months. They are so funny swimming around in there!

If anyone knows for sure what these guys are, I'd love to know.
Attached Thumbnails
critter pics-snakey2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 09:39 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
No, not a hog nose...not sure what it is...maybe I will get some of our 'bugs-n-bunnies' guys to look at him on monday....

Old 08-17-2007, 10:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
I'd like to know too, because I was walking home from across the street, and the exact same snake was on the sidewalk in front of my house and it went into the grass and I lost track of it. It was a baby, but it still freaked me out a little. I went and got something with a long handle to try and catch it, but I couldn't find it again. My husband found a snake in our in ground sprinkler control box and didn't realize it for a few minutes. I guess whatever it was, it was harmless since it didn't bite him while he was tinkering with the nozzles, but he says he nearly jumped 20 ft. in the air when he saw it coiled up down there! He caught it with the shovel handle and threw it in the cornfield across the street, so I wonder if it's not just some type of rat snake?

Old 08-18-2007, 01:16 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
You can email the guy who runs Bugs In The news

He's quick and responsive and offers a positive ID with a pic.

I love that website!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,821 times
If a person is bitten by a snake, how long do they have to get to the hospital? I'm gonna have to worry about this, as part of my land will be developed and the other part I want to leave in it's natural state...minus the cedar trees. I'll be walking through it quite often and I wonder about the snakes I will come across and may not see until it's too late and also those that will find their way into my house or around it. I also have a wet weather creek, so I have to worry about water moccosins, too.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:33 AM

I was reading one of the links here to a website someone posted, and it said the first 15 minutes are crucial. After about 15 minutes, you start feeling the neurological effects of the venom, and this may affect your ability to get help. If you're isolated from medical care, I guess this means call 911 as soon as you can. If you're close to medical care, get there!

Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
If a person is bitten by a snake, how long do they have to get to the hospital? I'm gonna have to worry about this, as part of my land will be developed and the other part I want to leave in it's natural state...minus the cedar trees. I'll be walking through it quite often and I wonder about the snakes I will come across and may not see until it's too late and also those that will find their way into my house or around it. I also have a wet weather creek, so I have to worry about water moccosins, too.
You might want to try to wear boots. If a snake sees you he will leave the area if he can. They are actually quite shy. Even when provoked they will try to escape, and bite out of protection. Bites usually are due to an accidental situation, such as being stepped on.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 AM

actually, I've heard that water moccassins can be aggressive for a snake. Most snakes aren't aggressive though. Just walking around the property, snakes will feel the vibrations from your steps and go their own way. Although, once when I was a teenager, I encountered a copperhead who did not slither away (I was working in my little flower bed). I had to throw my hoe at it and run quickly away backwards. Luckily, no biting occured. (No, I didn't kill it It just went back into the woods). But Jazzed is right. Cowboy boots are not just a fashion statement in these parts. They were created for a reason.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:21 AM

679 posts, read 2,833,821 times
Thanks for the information. Wow, 15 minutes? That isn't a lot. I will certainly wear the boots. Maybe thigh boots.

Love Roses, how lucky you were. That's what I am afraid of...coming upon them by accident...touching or stepping on them. Your situation would have scared me to death.

Glad to know they are shy. When I was a kid, I was told they will chase you and if they did, especially a blue racer, I was to run zig zag. Thinking back, I think people just tried to scare me because I was afraid of snakes. Not so afraid now, but will definitely try to stay out of their way. Appreciate the tips.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:11 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Snake bite 'intensity' will vary a lot and will depend on the health of the individual, as well. I know an individiual that got bit by a copperhead during a portage in a (long) canoe race. He did not know it (thought it was just the brush) and continued the race. He paddled for over 14 hours after that before he pulled out and got medical attention. He ended up with some minor tissue loss around the bite, but that was about it.

Not recommending his wait (he actually was in the hospitol for a couple of days, mainly due to the delay until treatment), but the snakes around here aren't cobras. Even if you don't receive any treatment at all, you have good odds of surviving. Just stay calm, walk back to a phone and call 911. If possible, try to get a look at the snake so you can describe it to the paramedics.

From the FDA website (don't ask me why it is there):
Quote:
Many health-care professionals embrace just a few basic first-aid techniques. According to the American Red Cross, these steps should be taken:
  • Wash the bite with soap and water.
  • Immobilize the bitten area and keep it lower than the heart.
  • Get medical help.

How NOT to Treat a Snakebite
Though US medical professionals may not agree on every aspect of what to do for snakebite first aid, they are nearly unanimous in their views of what not to do. Among their recommendations:
  • No ice or any other type of cooling on the bite. Research has shown this to be potentially harmful.
  • No tourniquets. This cuts blood flow completely and may result in loss of the affected limb.
  • No electric shock. This method is under study and has yet to be proven effective. It could harm the victim.
  • No incisions in the wound. Such measures have not been proven useful and may cause further injury.
Misc info from eMedicineHealth:
Quote:
Five to ten deaths occur per year from snakebite in the United States. People provoke bites by handling or even attacking snakes in a significant number of cases in the United States. Of the estimated 45,000 snakebites per year in the United States, about 8000 are by venomous snakes.
  • Remove constricting items on the victim, such as rings or other jewelry, which could cut off blood flow if the bite area swells.
  • If you are in a remote area in which transport to an emergency medical facility will be prolonged, you should apply a splint to the affected limb. If you do apply a splint, remember to make sure the wound does not swell enough to make your splint a tourniquet, cutting off the blood flow. Check to make sure toes and fingers are still pink and warm, that the limb is not going numb, and that pain is not getting worse.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 08-20-2007 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin