U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:04 PM

675 posts, read 1,774,416 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone thinks these wildfires could ever make it all the way to Austin. The Bastrop fires seem to be barely contained, and several othes (Leander, Spicewood, etc.) seem to be either zero percent contained or not much better. But more disturbingly, just looking around from the views on Highway 360/ Capitol of Texas, it feels like we're in a 'burning ring of fire.' Tall pillars of smoke everywhere.

Does anyone think the wildfires could encroach upon Austin? Or would federal forces of some sort be deployed if the fires raged that far out of control.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM

732 posts, read 1,977,362 times
Steiner Ranch is in Austin so I am going to go ahead and say yes.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 PM

17 posts, read 34,754 times
Let's try to stay positive!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,477,329 times
I understand what you mean, Raskolnikov, and have wondered the same. According to Perry, we're getting closer to looking to other sources for help, as in Fort Hood, but some things can't be controlled.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM

675 posts, read 1,774,416 times
Yeah, Steiner ranch is in Austin, true. But I'm talking more about places like the greenbelt, South Austin, Circle C, the airport, East Austin, etc. Essentially, the major parts of Austin. Seems far-fetched but with no more resources, I don't know how they can contain the fires at all. Seems like they'll just potentially keep going forever with all this wind, until rain puts them out. No rain in the forecast at least for the next week...

Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 PM

14,702 posts, read 32,519,244 times
It is possible, but there are a couple of reasons that it is less likely -
There is much more concrete in Austin proper, so even though the fire can spread great distances, it is not as likely to get as hot or have as much fuel. Also, the building code has required fire resistant shingles for a long time, so there are not as many easy flammable structures. There are a lot higher population density, as well, so fires like the one off of MoPac get spotted very quickly.

The green belt, however, could be a very risky place to leave adjacent to right now.....

Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM

9,247 posts, read 25,148,926 times
Well, they are close to East Austin as there are still fires in Pflugerville (or where), We can see the smoke here in Hutto and a friend of mine in Manor says that they are starting to see the smoke and such from the bastrop fire. There was a fire by the airport earlier today. It was close to the control tower.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:17 AM

7,230 posts, read 14,761,018 times
So much depends on the wind! If you get a spark, bbq grill tips over, cigarette, etc. or even a home kitchen fire, if it takes just a few extra minutes to report it and the wind catches the flames . . . everything is so dry . . . you could get a run of fire even in the city.

But it would be easier to control, more water available, more concrete but if the wind is strong enough . . . and there is plenty of dry fuel for a fire everywhere in Austin . . . it can be nearly impossible to control if it really started, regardless of location.

My neighborhood is warning people from even mowing the lawn for fear of sparks.

More than rain, we need the wind to drop.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 AM

16,791 posts, read 45,918,119 times
In this mornings paper:

Quote:
Conditions, growth feed wildfire risk

As part of a Ph.D. program, Baum studied Austin's wildfire threat and compiled his findings into a first-of-its kind study in 2003. It concluded that West Austin is at serious risk for the same wildfires that have torn through California in recent years. Homes sit atop ridges, plants are often dried out in the semi-arid conditions, and winds like those seen over the weekend carry sparks.
"Simply stated, the conditions in West Austin and Travis County as we find them today may be perfect for a natural wildfire disaster of significant (and prophetic) proportions," Baum stated in his 2003 study.
"It's like living on the coast," he said Monday. "It is beautiful, and everyone wants to live on the hill with the beautiful views, but you put yourself on the top of a matchstick."

Old 09-06-2011, 09:58 AM

6,331 posts, read 16,873,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post

Does anyone think the wildfires could encroach upon Austin? Or would federal forces of some sort be deployed if the fires raged that far out of control.
Theoretically yes, if new fires start separately and burn uncontrolled (because fire crews are already maxed elsewhere) and they later combine/join and move through urban tree canopies and preserved dry land (such as Balcones Canyonland), toward the SE, I suppose a fire could come across 360 from NW Hills/Spicewood area and quickly across Westlake Hills. Many of the older homes in Westlake Hills north of Bee Cave east of 360 are older 1970s/1980s homes that would burn up real quick.

It would have to jump Lake Austin though, unless something starts on the south side of the lake.

I have to admit, home working today, I've already thought of what I would grab from the house, though I've only thought about it thus far. I live in Westlake and there is a lot of dry tender NW of me in the hillier areas, and the winds are from the north.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>