Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:10 PM

158 posts, read 582,081 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for the great info!! How far would the commute from AR to the 183/ Mopac (in minutes, please.) I heard 20 minutes, is that accurate? How are the schools in AR? Thx in advance for responding, I appreciate your time

Last edited by Bo; 08-11-2011 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Moved from another thread w/a different topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 06:20 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,266,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRUs View Post
I don't know if the ocean is necessarily "important" to me, but it's nice. We also like the different vibe in TX. If we were to move there, we'd completely embrace it and not look back. It's a toss up for us. I think we've settled on Avery Ranch IF we choose Tx. What do you think of that area (are you familiar w/ it?) Does it have splash pads or community pools there? Or do most homes have a pool in AR?
Cowabunga, Avery Ranch vs Oceanside, CA! Wow, talk about night and day. Oceanside CA just happens to be the furthest south I've ever been in CA (all those years and I never made it to San Diego, sigh). The overall vibe of a Cali beach town is so 180 degrees from the rather mundane suburbia that Avery Ranch represents (hey, this is just my opinion in relation to me, I know folks that live there and love it). Good to keep an open mind though.

How about the Cuernavaca area off of 2244 west of 360? It kinda reminds me a bit of some of the coastal towns. Plus you're in the Eanes school district (Westlake High).

Old 08-11-2011, 08:46 PM

158 posts, read 582,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Cowabunga, Avery Ranch vs Oceanside, CA! Wow, talk about night and day. Oceanside CA just happens to be the furthest south I've ever been in CA (all those years and I never made it to San Diego, sigh). The overall vibe of a Cali beach town is so 180 degrees from the rather mundane suburbia that Avery Ranch represents (hey, this is just my opinion in relation to me, I know folks that live there and love it). Good to keep an open mind though.

How about the Cuernavaca area off of 2244 west of 360? It kinda reminds me a bit of some of the coastal towns. Plus you're in the Eanes school district (Westlake High).
Yes, the two places are definately opposites, that's why we're hoping God makes the decision for us We like both places fiercly, and the decision is proving very difficult! Time shall tell...

Regretfully, I don't have the frame of reference to know the area you are speaking of. Our goal is to be close to the Google building (183/ Mopac is my understanding.) My 1st choice would've been Steiner (too far, too much $.) I'm pretty satisfied w/ Avery Ranch, so far. But if I get new/ different information, that could change.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,575,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I lived in Carlsbad and Encinitas just South of Oceanside, and Oceanside isn't a glamorous beach town. We generally stayed out of Oceanside at night. Hill Street (PCH) has always been riddled with crime, drugs, and prostitution. The back gate to Camp Pendleton as well as other areas of Oceanside have horrible gang activity. There are some nicer parts, but the public schools in Oceanside are overall fairly poor. Avery Ranch or just about any part of Austin is Disneyland compared to Oceanside for raising a family. There are areas of Oceanside that make Rundberg and Lamar look like Bee Cave. Oceanside probably has the worst crime and gang activity of any city in North County San Diego.

With that said, Avery Ranch has schools that compare to the nice areas of Carlsbad, CA. You'll be very happy and will be amazed at the safety and quality of schools coming from Oceanside.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:04 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,288 times
Quote:
Regretfully, I don't have the frame of reference to know the area you are speaking of. Our goal is to be close to the Google building (183/ Mopac is my understanding.) My 1st choice would've been Steiner (too far, too much $.) I'm pretty satisfied w/ Avery Ranch, so far. But if I get new/ different information, that could change.
Cuernavaca likely wouldn't be in your budget anyway (anything in Eanes will come with a price tag since the school district is so desirable) and the commute would be a pain. It's not close at all to where your husband would be working. Avery Ranch is a much better choice.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,575,652 times
Milwood might be another option if you're alright with an older home. It would be a shorter commute to Google and I think most of Milwood feeds into Round Rock schools so the schools are generally good there as well.

Follow the link below and type Milwood in for the subdivision.

Austin Home Search - Lease (http://www.austinhomesearch.com/Search/Lease.aspx - broken link)

Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,971 times
I am speaking from experience and this is my opinion:

I am originally from southern CA. I have experience living in both CA and Texas. I lived in LA (Santa Monica) and Orange County (Newport Beach) and in Austin (Avery Ranch).

Very simply. We loved living in Avery Ranch. No doubt Avery Ranch is one of the best, if not the best place we found in North West Austin. I will give Avery Ranch 10/10 for all categories. I will recommend Avery Ranch over any other community in NW Austin.

Check out [url=http://www.averyranchgolf.com/]Avery Ranch Golf Club - Golf Austin, TX - Best Overall Course in Austin, 2004 and 2005 - Avid Golfer Magazine[/url] .

Avery range has so much to offer. They even have my favorite restaurant Z-Tejas Austin, Ztejas Austin (http://austin6thstreet.ztejas.com/Austin-Map.html - broken link)

Coming from CA to Austin, we were used to a certain life style. Avery Ranch community offered us everything we were looking for and even more. Avery Ranch is close to everything and is known to have the best schools, best amenities, and easy access to major freeways, close to lake, close to shops, close to walk trails, renowned Golf Course, and more.

If you think I am exaggerating, just research Avery Ranch (78717) on your own and compare it to other areas in North West Austin. Don’t just depend on people opinions including mine.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:03 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,889 times
Quote:
Yes, the two places are definately opposites, that's why we're hoping God makes the decision for us We like both places fiercly, and the decision is proving very difficult! Time shall tell...

God is not going to sign your mortgage, so you better rely on your own happiness.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:04 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,889 times
Cue Eepstein!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the great info!! How far would the commute from AR to the 183/ Mopac (in minutes, please.) I heard 20 minutes, is that accurate? How are the schools in AR? Thx in advance for responding, I appreciate your time
Avery ranch is nice, to some extent it depends on what you are looking for. there arent that many fully master planned communities in austin - avery ranch is one of them.

If you can afford it, check out great hills or the mountain. The location is slightly better than avery ranch and some parts of it feed into canyon vista/westwood, one of the best school chains in austin. The downside of great hills is no community pool or other master planned amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin