U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,726 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this is a commonly asked question. I'm looking to relocate to Austin from Wisconsin. I made the 20 hour drive and arrived in town last night. I'm currently staying in an Extended Stay for the next few weeks but am hoping to find a job and make the move a permanent one.

I graduated from Wisconsin-Milwaukee this past December with a degree in finance and certificate in real estate. I'd love to find a full-time job in the finance or accounting industry but realize that may be hard to find within the next few weeks.

I'm looking for any sort of job to help make my move to Austin possible. I can't sign a lease on an apartment until I have some steady income. In high school, I worked at a restaurant in my hometown of Madison. I started as a bus boy and worked my way up to kitchen supervisor by the time I left for college in Milwaukee. In college, I worked at a bar in downtown Milwaukee. There, I worked as a cook and security (bouncer, ID checker).

Any suggestions on where to look for a job or anyone have any direct leads for me? I've been down to 6th Street a few times and would love to find a job in a bar/restaurant there. I'm willing to give almost anything a shot so suggestions for work outside of the bar/restaurant industry are more than welcome as well.

I'd appreciate any help and suggestions you guys are willing to give. Really hope to find a job here so I don't have to make the 20 hour drive back to Wisconsin.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 02:43 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,483,917 times
Job sites that I use to find contract work, I think, would help you greatly. The top 4 sites I use are:

#1) Craigslist
#2) Indeed
#3) CareerBuilder
#4) Dice

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2011, 04:03 PM

75 posts, read 104,140 times
Moving anywhere without a job is insanely risky. Are you saying you are paying for an extended stay even without a job?

Why not just apply for jobs from your home state, and they are interested they usually fly you out on site for an interview. If you get the job, and its a decent size company they usually help with relocation.

I'm still in New York, but I'm flying out to Austin tomorrow at the company's expense to interview. Once I get the formal offer I'll be planning my move down there.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM

239 posts, read 470,879 times
Good luck to you. Unfortunately, the Austin job market is NOT as advertised. The job market is tight and competitive. It's recommended that you secure a job before you make a move.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:09 PM

I've been looking for jobs in Austin since I graduated from college in December. The lease on my apartment kept me in Milwaukee until the end of June. I've been applying to jobs in Austin while living with my parents for the past two months but was unsuccessful in finding one.

I currently have a room at an Extended Stay for the next couple of weeks. I'm not expecting to secure the "real" job in the next couple weeks. I'm looking for a less competitive job, ideally in a bar or restaurant because I have a lot of experience working in the industry or anything that will get money in my pockets.

If I'm able to secure a job, I'll be able to sign a lease on an apartment and move here permanently (you can't sign a sign a lease without a job). Then, after I'm settled in, I'll continue the search for the "real" job.

If I can't find any sort of job in the next few weeks, I'll have no choice but to return to Wisconsin.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Job sites that I use to find contract work, I think, would help you greatly. The top 4 sites I use are:

#1) Craigslist
#2) Indeed
#3) CareerBuilder
#4) Dice

Good luck!
I've been looking on Craigslist and Indeed. I forgot CareerBuilder existed and have never heard of Dice. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 09-11-2011, 05:25 PM

16,791 posts, read 45,121,439 times
Here you go: //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...nt-austin.html

Old 09-11-2011, 05:45 PM

326 posts, read 714,258 times
You might want to try surrounding towns as well. I know Bastrop down town has quite a few restaurants and often need staff. Lost Pine Resort has a quite large restaurant staff and often hires too.

Austin Hotels- Hyatt Regency Lost Pines- Austin Texas Hotel, Resort Reservations

www.baxtersonmain.com/
919 Main Street, Bastrop
(512) 321-3577

Bastrop Roadhouse - Voted Best Burgers in Bastrop!
2804 Hwy 21 E, Bastrop - (512) 321-1803

Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 AM

101 posts, read 201,180 times
if you dont mind working in lakeway java dive sometimes has positions

Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 PM

2,237 posts, read 8,457,075 times
I doubt many of the 6th street bars advertise openings. I'd just go by and ask for a manager in the early afternoon before they get slammed. You could easily hit 30-40 in an afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin