Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:30 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
My biggest problem with Salt Lick...........like may other BBQ places is the "sides." I want incredible beans, awesome cole slaw, and the best potato salad I've ever had in my life..........Is that too much to ask?
Yes!!!!!!!! Their sides are horrible. I love me some good cole slaw and beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
My biggest problem with Salt Lick...........like may other BBQ places is the "sides." I want incredible beans, awesome cole slaw, and the best potato salad I've ever had in my life..........Is that too much to ask?
Yes you are asking for too much!

The meat is the centerpiece and how any BBQ place should be judged. There is no such thing as awesome cole slaw. I wouldn't walk 10 feet for something made with cabbage.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I haven't been to the Salt Lick in a long time. Maybe I should go again.

Lean brisket is usually dry and given a choice I will avoid it. "Moist" brisket is my favorite and that is the reason I like Rudy's so much. Their moist brisket is crusty AND moist - all the time.

As for fatty meats in general - medium rare or slightly less please. And the fat in a ribeye, a little singed by flame is OK with me. I don't like chunks of fat but most lean steaks aren't worth eating. I also like my pork chops pink.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:39 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Weird that everybody hates the sides. That's the only thing I really like there other than the blackberry cobbler. With all their meat, they miss a lot more than they hit, IMO. I've had excellent brisket there but 9 out of 10 times, it'll be mediocre.

Franklin >>>>>>>> Woody's >>>>>>> Smitty's >>> Cooper's > Milt's > Kruez > City Market

Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 PM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
I'm with roses, I hate fat, too. Yuk. Give me some nice, crusty, lean brisket and some sauce to smother it in and I'm a happy camper. And I do like my steaks medium rare! (With no fat, please.)

Actually, I thought the cole slaw and potato salad at SL were really good. The beans, not so much. In the future, I would probably just go and order a big pile of meat (including some of that delicious turkey) and a couple sides, all to share, to avoid having to eat those beans.
Ya, but you can cover a turd in some good sauce and it would probably be tasty. I've never understood why people put sauce on brisket. If it was cooked right with a good rub, you should NEVER have to put sauce on it (this goes for steak and most ribs, too). Leave the sauce masking to the Carolinas... This is Texas!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times
OH.....BTW...I heard Franklin's got another "pit" / cooker-thingie, and can cook a whole lot more! So, don't be lining up at 11 am............or 2 pm (when I'll be there.)

Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Ya, but you can cover a turd in some good sauce and it would probably be tasty. I've never understood why people put sauce on brisket. If it was cooked right with a good rub, you should NEVER have to put sauce on it (this goes for steak and most ribs, too). Leave the sauce masking to the Carolinas... This is Texas!

Yeah, Yeah, Mr. Purist J/K! I love meat with a good smoky flavor. I don't usually drench the meat in sauce but like to have some on the side. Some places do have a good sauce. Sauce is also good for dipping your bread, if they offer bread.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:47 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Ya, but you can cover a turd in some good sauce and it would probably be tasty. I've never understood why people put sauce on brisket.
Sauce covers up mistakes with your meat.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:56 PM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Yeah, Yeah, Mr. Purist J/K! I love meat with a good smoky flavor. I don't usually drench the meat in sauce but like to have some on the side. Some places do have a good sauce. Sauce is also good for dipping your bread, if they offer bread.
I'm not saying do away with the sauce all together, but there are some places that will just slap it on there without even asking you. On the side is nice. I love to dip my bread in the sauce, too. Sometimes when the sauce is really good it's like they were made for each other.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
OH.....BTW...I heard Franklin's got another "pit" / cooker-thingie, and can cook a whole lot more! So, don't be lining up at 11 am............or 2 pm (when I'll be there.)
Correct. He intends to be open until 6pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin