Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Here ya go..put in the zip and a list of nearby farms/CSA/Farmer Markets will show up.

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 05:00 PM

363 posts, read 988,451 times
We go to Sweet Berry Farms in Marble Falls every year. You don't get to pick them, but they have pumpkins and every kind of gourd possible for sale, plus a huge corn field maze shaped like the state of Texas. Best part is the homemade pumpkin ice cream they sell too. Place also lets you pick berries in the spring. I've been to both and Sweet Berry Farms blows away the place out in Elgin.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:00 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
Grew up in SE lower Michigan, so I understand what you're missing. Hell, I just want some donuts and fresh cider!
I moved from NW Indiana and I went cherry picking in Michigan - YUM!

That's about the only thing I miss about NW Indiana - picking apples, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and grapes - all of it close by.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 631 times
I understand for those living in the north east. We moved here in 2012 my kids didn't it notice the 1st year but last year they asked why the we weren't going to the "pumpkin patch" we found a "pumpkin patch and and went. It was nothing my kids (7 and 9 now) were expecting and were of course disappointed. This year they are asking for a real pumpkin patch where they can go in the field and get their own pumpkin and then during my research I found this site and it answered my issue. I didn't know that the pumpkins were shipped in. Your comments answered my problem and now I have to tell my girls. Thank you.

Last edited by earnmd; 10-19-2014 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: spelling and grammer

Old 10-19-2014, 12:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I found the one in Elgin, but it doesn't sound like they grow them there. Still they have a nice family oriented pumpkin hunt and activities. Evergreen Farms Christmas Trees
That would be my recommendation close by. iirc, the owners are former educators from the Bryan/College Station area. Anyway, they've done a nice job with this every time we've visited. The pumpkin hunt is especially fun for small children....hunting for pumpkins hidden in the Christmas trees.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:55 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Good info for us newbies. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:39 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earnmd View Post
I understand for those living in the north east. We moved here in 2012 my kids didn't it notice the 1st year but last year they asked why the we weren't going to the "pumpkin patch" we found a "pumpkin patch and and went. It was nothing my kids (7 and 9 now) were expecting and were of course disappointed. This year they are asking for a real pumpkin patch where they can go in the field and get their own pumpkin and then during my research I found this site and it answered my issue. I didn't know that the pumpkins were shipped in. Your comments answered my problem and now I have to tell my girls. Thank you.
Yup. The somewhat technical explanation is that we have two growing seasons instead of one. The heat of summer acts as a second winter. So we can grow pumpkins but they don't ripen at the right time - more like July.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:17 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubredvelvet View Post
I am from the Midwest and not Austin, but just wondering if you guys have pick your own farms? Specifically for apples and pumpkins?.
Apples need a lot more cold weather than we ever get here. So I doubt you will find any apple orchards nearby.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:29 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Apples need a lot more cold weather than we ever get here. So I doubt you will find any apple orchards nearby.
Love Creek Orchards, in Medina, just west of Boerne, has pick your own apples in July, berries starting in May.

Great place - nice day trip.

PS - found this courtesy of Mr. Googlè. Appears there are some pick your own pumpkins nearby.

http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org...n.php#listings

Old 10-24-2014, 06:12 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Love Creek Orchards, in Medina, just west of Boerne, has pick your own apples in July, berries starting in May.

Great place - nice day trip.

PS - found this courtesy of Mr. Googlè. Appears there are some pick your own pumpkins nearby.

Austin and surrounding counties in Texas Pumpkin Patches, Corn Mazes, Hayrides and More, Find Halloween and Fall Fun in Texas!
Wow! Thanks! I wonder if the higher elevation (1600 - 2200 ft) around Medina gets them the cooler winter weather needed to grow apples.

Here is the link to the apple orchard;

Love Creek Orchards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin