Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 AM

25 posts, read 41,659 times

Advertisements

I am from the Midwest and not Austin, but just wondering if you guys have pick your own farms? Specifically for apples and pumpkins? I know this year is bad with a drought and all- but in years when there is no drought do these exsist around there? Oh, and around here driving an hour or so is not far, in case that matters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
There are places in central texas where you can pick your own berries (strawberries, blueberries) and peaches. But those are all late spring, early summer crops.

But no pick your own apples or pumpkins. Most pumpkins are trucked in, they growing season in Texas does not fit with the holiday. Local apples would be few and far between. There are some but I don't think that they do pick your own. But you can find them at the farmer's markets.

There are pumpkins patches around however.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times
Where are the pumpkin patches? We went to one last year but it was just a bunch of pumpkins from mexico and cali dumped in a field

Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
Where are the pumpkin patches? We went to one last year but it was just a bunch of pumpkins from mexico and cali dumped in a field
um . . . yes. That is pretty much what they all are! There is one out in Elgin at the Christmas tree farm with a corn maze, wagon rides, etc. Otherwise, I prefer the central city ones (Travis Heights and Tarrytown, I'm sure there are others) that have a huge selection of pumpkins -- usually from New Mexico, not Mexico proper. Sometimes live music and other activities.

You can't make pumpkins grew in a time and place that doesn't suit them!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Love Creek Farms you can pick apples but that's roughly a 2 hour drive but it is a very pretty drive in Medina.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:09 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
um . . . yes. That is pretty much what they all are! There is one out in Elgin at the Christmas tree farm with a corn maze, wagon rides, etc. Otherwise, I prefer the central city ones (Travis Heights and Tarrytown, I'm sure there are others) that have a huge selection of pumpkins -- usually from New Mexico, not Mexico proper. Sometimes live music and other activities.

I thought so, but my wife and I did not grow up here. We hoped to take the little guy to a real pumpkin patch this year but I figured if they do exist its way too dry.

On a side note I saw that HEB already had pumpkins out yesterday

Old 09-19-2011, 11:33 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post

I found the one in Elgin, but it doesn't sound like they grow them there. Still they have a nice family oriented pumpkin hunt and activities. Evergreen Farms Christmas Trees

Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 AM

362 posts, read 1,044,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubredvelvet View Post
I am from the Midwest and not Austin, but just wondering if you guys have pick your own farms? Specifically for apples and pumpkins? I know this year is bad with a drought and all- but in years when there is no drought do these exsist around there? Oh, and around here driving an hour or so is not far, in case that matters...
Grew up in SE lower Michigan, so I understand what you're missing. Hell, I just want some donuts and fresh cider!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
Grew up in SE lower Michigan, so I understand what you're missing. Hell, I just want some donuts and fresh cider!
I love apple cider donuts. It just seems so weird for me to think of buying pumpkins and stuff from a grocery store..

Old 09-19-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Love Creek Farms you can pick apples but that's roughly a 2 hour drive but it is a very pretty drive in Medina.
Really? That's good to know! Yeah 2 hours really isn't that bad, I mean il there are apple farms everywhere, but we do lots of multiple hour drives in the fall to enjoy the scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin