Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 07:09 AM

3 posts, read 6,369 times

Advertisements

All,
I'm interviewing for a job in Round Rock (at Dell) and am trying to evaluate the quality of life from a commuting perspective. I've looked through some real estate listings and my wife and I like houses in Georgetown, Leander, Hutto, Jarrell and Lago Vista.

Any sense for the commuting times from these locations? I'd prefer a commute of 30 minutes or less, but could go up to 40-45 if the house was really nice. Are my expectations reasonable given the towns I'd like to look at?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,009 times
Plenty of houses for sale in RR. No commute time if you buy close to work.

I only work a song and a half (playing on the radio) from my house here in RR.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:02 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,683,952 times
Yeah, I'd say Round Rock too. I live in Hutto and work in RR. Jarrell would be a longish commute, but one of my coworkers lives in Jarrell and is fine with the commute.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,732,702 times
Don't make life unnecessarily hard on yourself. RR has plenty of housing stock. Plus you won't be adding to the area's congestion problems, pollution, and save yourself a lot of time and money in the process. Win-Win.

And of the towns you mentioned only GT stands out as potentially being an upgrade from RR.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM

554 posts, read 1,745,703 times
I dont think you will run into excess traffic commuting to Dell from any of those places so the travel times in google maps should be somewhat accurate. Lago Vista would be the longest commute but I also think its the nicest place of those you listed. Are you looking for something more rural?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,369 times
I am looking for a house with some land (5+ acres) and privacy. So that was driving my desire for houses farther out of round rock.

Is route 35 from Georgetown to Round Rock crowded during rush hour? Or does it not start getting congested until you get closer to Austin?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michilius View Post
I am looking for a house with some land (5+ acres) and privacy. So that was driving my desire for houses farther out of round rock.

Is route 35 from Georgetown to Round Rock crowded during rush hour? Or does it not start getting congested until you get closer to Austin?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Depending on what part of GT you live in, you could avoid 35 and take the toll (might not be necessary/much of a help depending on time of day) or AW Grimes down to Dell. Otherwise, a lot of it depends on time of day. There is almost always a back up at the 620 entrance ramp though no matter time of day. During rush hour, that just pushes further back north.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,013,687 times
Depending on the route, 30 minutes today will be 45 in 5-7 years and an hour in 10. Make sure you consider that.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Okay, I was going to say go with Round Rock, but a house with five acres is going to drive you further out for sure.

I live outside of Jarrell in the country and my husband used to commute to his business near Burnet/183, and it took him 45 minutes to an hour depending on when he left the house (five minutes really can make a difference). To Dell, figure about half an hour/40 minutes (I drive that way regularly and that's how long it takes me - we're about five minutes off I35, if that helps). Georgetown, depending on where and, again, time of day, 20 to 30 minutes. During rush hour you're going to be fine until you get to a certain point around 620 in Round Rock where, for no obvious reason, traffic always backs up for a while.

Lago Vista's going to be a major commute.

Hutto's a real possibility, especially a bit north of Hutto (towards Georgetown).

What are you thinking of doing with your five acres, and what's your price range? That'd help point you in more exactly the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin