Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,019 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We are contemplating a move down the road from San Antonio to Austin. I have been offered a position with the State of Texas, and would be working downtown. My husband would be working near Ben White/290, but would likely have to travel to San Antonio one or two days a week.

My questions are...

1. Where are the best places to live in that area of town? We'd like a nice, quiet neighborhood with at least a 3-4BR house. Our budget is somewhere between 1400-2000/month.
2. What's the rough commute time from the area around William Cannon/south to downtown? Are city streets the way to go? Is the area around Slaughter Road too much of a hike if I want to maintain my sanity?
3. Any recommendations as to child care in that area? I prefer an NAEYC accredited facility (and have found a few), but I always enjoy hearing about the personal experiences of others. Our daughter is around 17 months old.
4. Is my husband's occasional commute to SA just going to drain him? I find the way some folks drive along the I-35 corridor terrifying, and that wasn't even during an early morning commute. We moved to SA from Wisconsin in December so it's been a bit of an adjustment.

Thanks in advance for the advice! We have a few days to mull this over but I'm trying to get as much information as I can. Feel free to DM me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times
That area really isn't that far from downtown. I live on the North side of town so I cant speak to commute times but I know that plenty of people live further south in Kyle or Buda and do it every day. You may even look at that option since your husband will be driving to SA several days a week.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
1. Where are the best places to live in that area of town? We'd like a nice, quiet neighborhood with at least a 3-4BR house. Our budget is somewhere between 1400-2000/month.
Are you looking to buy or rent? Based on the per month quote, I would assume rent, but if you were to buy a house, it would be up to about 275k, I think, if you wanted your PMI+T to be ~2,000 or less. There is quite a patchwork of neighborhoods in that area, some pretty good, some not so good. Grand Oaks between Slaughter and Wm Cannon on Manchaca and and Bauerle Ranch south of Slaughter between Brodie and Manchaca are both fairly new and nice for that area. I only know of those in particular because of friends that live in them.
Quote:
2. What's the rough commute time from the area around William Cannon/south to downtown? Are city streets the way to go? Is the area around Slaughter Road too much of a hike if I want to maintain my sanity?
Slaughter and on north is not too bad, especially out of rush hour. Wm Cannon and North will get noticeably shorter. Yes, surface streets are probably the way to go, unless you are very near the MoPac end of Slaughter or Wm. Canno.
Quote:
3. Any recommendations as to child care in that area? I prefer an NAEYC accredited facility (and have found a few), but I always enjoy hearing about the personal experiences of others. Our daughter is around 17 months old.
This could add to commute time, I think, as I don't know any NAEYC ones in that area (although there very well could be). If you are not tied exclusively to NAEYC, I think Children's Courtyard, Primrose, Bright Horizons (this is NAEYC, not sure on others), and Child's Place are all ones that are considered good, national outfits. There is one off of Manchaca (Jackies's Dance and Gymnastics, I think the name is, but not sure), and it has swimming and dance classes as well as being a daycare. I think it only takes 2 and up? I am not sure, but it does not take infants. I know some people that just love the place.
Quote:
4. Is my husband's occasional commute to SA just going to drain him? I find the way some folks drive along the I-35 corridor terrifying, and that wasn't even during an early morning commute. We moved to SA from Wisconsin in December so it's been a bit of an adjustment.
Where will he be going in SA? You can take 281 if you live further west, and there are some options to jump off I-35 if you want to head into east or west SA. It is not my favorite drive, but (believe it or not) it is better than it used to be. It all kind of depends on your tolerance for traffic/driving.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:35 PM

390 posts, read 671,277 times
I can't really comment on commute times, but just wanted to let you know that Circle C Child Development Center in SW Austin is NAEYC accredited. My son attends there and we have been very happy. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the school.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Btw, this lets you search on NAEYC schools by zip and distance...

http://oldweb.naeyc.org/academy/search/default.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin