Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:52 AM

385 posts, read 1,245,478 times

Advertisements

We are on our second day in Austin and I am overjoyed to be here. This place feels like home to me. I belong here. The people are everything we've heard about....laid back, unpretentious, beyond friendly! This is something I just can't get over...such nice people. I LOVE the south congress area. There are the best taco stands and outdoor cafes....Austin has perfected the outdoor dining experience....and it is super cheap! We live in the wine country and we pay dearly for lunch with good atmoshpere...it is everywhere around here...music, beautiful trees, a slow southern vibe that makes me feel like a kid again (and I'm not even fron the south!). I want to raise my family here for sure. We will be driving to some of the outer Austin areas tomorrow, but I so wish we could live in south central or even parts of the east (which i do think may be affordable still). It is much more diverse than I had heard, which is just another added bonus. It's very humid, but I like it...it feels tropical. I'm guessing the heat is not as bad as normal because I'm not dying yet. Zilker Park is huge and gorgoeus. $3 gets you in and you could spend the entire day at the gardens, barton springs, playing disc golf etc. It is much prettier than pictures I've seen. The young people make this place feel vibrant and full of life. I'm sure the university kids can be annoying when drunk and such, but I don't see myself hanging out on 6th street much anyway. There are very fast drivers here...very! And as far as bugs...have not seen them yet. By the way, we are staying at a vacation rental (even cheaper than a hotel) and it has been a great experience being in a regular neighborhood and getting to buy groceries at the local HEB. The only downside is traveling with a toddler...connecting flights and having to lug around stroller,car seat, portible crib etc....pretty damn exausting. Other than that we are so pleased to be here. This our place for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 01:32 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,710,907 times
Thanks for posting your impressions of Austin. I can't wait to visit there!

It looks like it will now be mid October when I arrive which I'm a little sad as I wanted to experience an Austin Summer (or what's left of it).

I was going to bring my dog along for the trip as he seriously hates being alone. Have you seen a lot of "Pet Friendly" places in Austin?

Old 09-02-2007, 04:58 PM

122 posts, read 406,355 times
We stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown with our 3 pugs last month.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:41 PM

8 posts, read 30,215 times
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience out here in Austin. Yeah one of the things I love to do is try out all the places to eat out here. When do you plan on moving down here?

Old 09-02-2007, 08:03 PM

701 posts, read 2,475,917 times
Is it not just a fun, fun, fun town? There are free-to-park places in Zilker park, btw. Just not too close to the playground/pool area, but walkable if you love walking.

ITChick, rumor (or posts on this forum) has it that October can be really warm around here, too. Maybe not this year because of all the rain, but I guess normally.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:05 PM

351 posts, read 1,428,154 times
My wife and I have been here for just over 2 years and we feel like we are on vacation still, except for the work thing.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,994,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
ITChick, rumor (or posts on this forum) has it that October can be really warm around here, too. Maybe not this year because of all the rain, but I guess normally.
Not at all. October is the best weather month. It'll be sunny with a high around 75. The first week or two may be warm but the 2nd half of October is definitely great weather.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,032,640 times
We moved here in Oct last year - and immediately had to go buy shorts!! It was HOT, like 85+ and sunny... but it was great.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:47 PM

445 posts, read 1,805,549 times
Justanothercalifornian.........

Can't wait to hear you rinfo and input about your visit!!! We are from Temecula and looking to move there......

Can't wait!! My only concern on our first trip, will be that we will love it and be ready to move right then and we can't!!!! UGH!

Hope it was all you wanted and more!!

PS I know what you mean about the traveling, we are in the same boat, we took our whole family to Hawaii, YIKES!!! 13, 4 1/2, 3 and 6 months, talk about strollers, car seat and 2 booster seats, then the cost of a full size SUV, it about killed us! We are looking into a motorhome, because of the whole experience!!!!

Old 09-03-2007, 04:03 PM

122 posts, read 406,355 times
If you are looking into buying a motorhome, please keep in mind that it is tough to find a home in Austin that allows RVs to be parked on your property!
We are in the process of trying to find home where there is not an HOA that disallows you to have an RV parked on your property. I can understand why they don't like to have RVs (people might live in them,etc.) but we did not run into this in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: