Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
No, of course not. However, we have a problem with pet overpopulation here and it's not going away. And while certainly you'll occasionally find a naive but well-meaning person whose dog gets out and they wind up with an "oops" litter, when I see signs for purebred this or that for $250 a pup rather than a mutt litter, I have my doubts as to how that female "accidentally" found a purebred male of the exact same breed during that brief period she was on the loose. Many of those litters happen on purpose, I'm afraid.

The better solution would be for pet owners to get their pets fixed, rather than creating more puppies who grow into dogs that have to be killed in shelters every year because there's not enough space to keep them alive with more brought in every day and not enough people willing to adopt. No one wants to think about that part when they contribute to the problem by buying pets in pet shops or from backyard breeders, but as long as there's a demand, some will rush in to supply the goods. Whether or not laws are in place in certain communities, one way to cut down on the practice is to only adopt pets from a shelter or rescue group rather than rewarding some backyard breeder with a nice fat check for failing to do the responsible thing and get his dog fixed or worse, breeding them purposefully.

Who are you to even suggest I have my dogs fixed, because you feel it is a better way than keeping them from breeding in the first place. My right and liberty is going to be taken away, because you have some artificial intellectual idea, that dog over population is because dogs are allowed to breed? Where is the common sense in that?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
It is my opinion to share on this board. I think there are far too many unwanted animals and it should be the law that anyone who is not a licensed breeder who owns a dog should be required to get that dog spayed or neutered. There is really NO reason not to - no benefit to the dog or the owners or society to have a bunch of unfixed dogs running around having puppies that end up being put to sleep in a shelter.
You are entitled to your opinion, you are not entitled to impose it on others.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:30 PM

844 posts, read 2,019,946 times
Quote:
Bull****. That's what laws are - enough people agree a certain "opinion" is the right thing to do. Granted this one isn't a law yet, but it definitely should be and if enough people it agree, eventually it will be. There is no constitutional right to have an unneutered pet.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:32 PM

2,139 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who are you to even suggest I have my dogs fixed, because you feel it is a better way than keeping them from breeding in the first place. My right and liberty is going to be taken away, because you have some artificial intellectual idea, that dog over population is because dogs are allowed to breed? Where is the common sense in that?
Simple numbers. Simple math. Dogs breed, the dog population increases exponentially. The only thing that imposes an equilibrium is killing them.
That's why so many dogs end up killed at shelters.

Breeders don't like to confront this, but its a simple mathematical reality.
Nothing "artificial" about it.

Don

Old 10-02-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Bull****. That's what laws are - enough people agree a certain "opinion" is the right thing to do. Granted this one isn't a law yet, but it definitely should be and if enough people it agree, eventually it will be. There is no constitutional right to have an unneutered pet.
What part is bull****?

"You are entitled to your opinion," That is true.

"you are not entitled to impose it on others." That is true as well.

So it appears that everything I wrote is pure gold plated truth.

As YOU said "this one isn't a law yet", TRUE also. So it appears that 'YOUR opinion' remains nothing more then YOUR opinion. The only part of the above exchange that is bull**** is YOUR desire to impose YOUR opinion on others. I disagree with 'YOUR opinion' and will do everything I can to fight laws such as this.

YOU have no constitutional right to neuter other people's pets or to dictate any other aspect of how they live their lives.

Another thing that I think is bull**** is the idea that only licensed breeders should be allowed to have pets that reproduce. I'm sure the licensed breeders are lobbying hard to make that a reality. Talk about conflict of interest. They charge outrageous prices for their animals. I know people who have become licensed breeders purely for the income they derive from this. It is insanely profitable.

If I grew up with an animal that was beloved my sisters and I, why shouldn't my family be able to breed that animal so we can have one of its offspring in later years? Why shouldn't my children or friends be allowed to have one of its offspring? Why should we be forced to go buy an unknown animal from a licensed breeder, rather then from a friend or relative?

What gives you the right to decide how we live our lives at this minute level of detail?

Old 10-02-2011, 02:48 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My right and liberty is going to be taken away, because you have some artificial intellectual idea, that dog over population is because dogs are allowed to breed? Where is the common sense in that?
Dog overpopulation being related to dogs being allowed to breed? Yes, according to my biology teacher, that is in fact how it works. She didn't consider that concept particularly "intellectual" either, but to each their own standards.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:49 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
What part is bull****?

"You are entitled to your opinion," That is true.

"you are not entitled to impose it on others." That is true as well.

So it appears that everything I wrote is pure gold plated truth.

As YOU said "this one isn't a law yet", TRUE also. So it appears that 'YOUR opinion' remains nothing more then YOUR opinion. The only part of the above exchange that is bull**** is YOUR desire to impose YOUR opinion on others. I disagree with 'YOUR opinion' and will do everything I can to fight laws such as this.

YOU have no constitutional right to neuter other people's pets or to dictate any other aspect of how they live their lives.

Another thing that I think is bull**** is the idea that only licensed breeders should be allowed to have pets that reproduce. I'm sure the licensed breeders are lobbying hard to make that a reality. Talk about conflict of interest. They charge outrageous prices for their animals. I know people who have become licensed breeders purely for the income they derive from this. It is insanely profitable.

If I grew up with an animal that was beloved my sisters and I, why shouldn't my family be able to breed that animal so we can have one of its offspring in later years? Why shouldn't my children or friends be allowed to have one of its offspring? Why should we be forced to go buy an unknown animal from a licensed breeder, rather then from a friend or relative?

What gives you the right to decide how we live our lives at this minute level of detail?
You know, I have my moments where I'd love to clone my dog because I love her so much and can't imagine not having her around but I know that this is selfish and there are many other dogs out there that need a good home. Sometimes we need to step back from our wants and do what is right.

As to liberties- how do you feel about environment controls that prevent our waterways from high toxicity like the Ganges or the Gowanus Canal? Should I be allowed to trash my house and neglect my yard while it impacts my neighbor's quality of life and property value? Should I be allowed to drive an ill maintained car that may cause pollution or traffic accidents that could injure others? I find this discussion so interesting.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
You know, I have my moments where I'd love to clone my dog because I love her so much and can't imagine not having her around but I know that this is selfish and there are many other dogs out there that need a good home. Sometimes we need to step back from our wants and do what is right.
It does not follow that wanting to keep your dog or its off spring around is selfish. That is a non-sequitur. You are entitled to make those decisions and decide what is right for you, but you are not entitled to make them for someone else. It is really very selfish of you to think that everyone else must agree with your definition of what is right or wrong and what is selfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
As to liberties- how do you feel about environment controls that prevent our waterways from high toxicity like the Ganges or the Gowanus Canal? Should I be allowed to trash my house and neglect my yard while it impacts my neighbor's quality of life and property value? Should I be allowed to drive an ill maintained car that may cause pollution or traffic accidents that could injure others? I find this discussion so interesting.
This is a red herring argument, off topic, misleading and irrelevant to the discussion at hand. We are not talking about air pollution or water pollution or causing traffic accidents or the government's authority to regulate those things.

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-02-2011 at 04:53 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Dog overpopulation being related to dogs being allowed to breed? Yes, according to my biology teacher, that is in fact how it works. She didn't consider that concept particularly "intellectual" either, but to each their own standards.

No, it is the ignorance of those that do not care about their pets, nor have a game plan, for a female in heat.

You want to penalize everyone for just a few bad apples.

That is what the criminal courts are for. If their is neglect and abuse...

Old 10-02-2011, 06:13 PM

313 posts, read 786,284 times
I've seen this guy all over town. The pickup, the puppy labs for sale. There's almost zero chance he's anything but a puppy mill.

Skipping the polical debate, I can only make a humane plea to people:

If you buy a puppy from these roadside breeders, it will likely not end up like the other puppies he breeds who don't sell: exectrocuted, drowned, or at a shelter. That seems like a good idea except he will breed more. The mother will be made pregnant more times than is anywhere near healthy and will likely eventually die from preganancy. He will use that money to breeed more puppies who end up electrocuted, drowned, or in a shelter.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop myself from pulling over on the way home from work to yell at people who are looking at his latest litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin