Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:56 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Yam - I have a dog and have had one one for 25 years. I love our dog. But that doesn't mean I like other people's dogs, nor do I like them at restaurants.
I feel the same way about children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 PM

71 posts, read 146,573 times
I take my dogs to out with me sometimes to dog friendly places. Lots of folks bring dogs, I understand people who don't like it would rather eat elsewhere and that's ok too. I think the places I go to think it's good for business as displayed by the many dogs in tow. But we do have both options here in Austin so I think people on both sides of the coin can still be happy

Here is a link to the dog friendly places, depending on how you feel you can use it as a Go-to list or a stay away from list (although there seem to be more and more dog friendly places popping up)

DogFriendly.com's City Guide: Austin, Texas

Old 10-12-2011, 10:41 PM

60 posts, read 127,815 times
Europeans take their dogs to restaurants, partly because most Europeans live in apartments, they walk their dogs and sometimes those walks lead to restaurant terraces.

Europeans live longer than Americans and have much lower health-care costs than Americans do.

Could the two possibly be connected?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:04 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoBald View Post
Europeans take their dogs to restaurants, partly because most Europeans live in apartments, they walk their dogs and sometimes those walks lead to restaurant terraces.

Europeans live longer than Americans and have much lower health-care costs than Americans do.

Could the two possibly be connected?
Your comment/ question touches on some very broad, international comparisons: average home-size, structure of neighborhoods, personal exercise/ physical fitness, and international health care systems across Europe.

Whatever was the intention, your question current needs more specificity for Austin, Texas. If you were trying to make a point, what is it?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 PM

431 posts, read 474,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm sorry, but dogs and children are not on the same playing field here. I *really* wish people would stop putting human children and pets in the same sentence. Whether the children are ill behaved or not, they are still people. You have options too, and that is to go to restaurants that do not cater to families.
you can *wish * it as much as you like but its a fact
some folks put kids and pets on the same footing you may not agree but

its their choice

Old 10-13-2011, 12:03 AM

431 posts, read 474,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
While no one likes out of control kids, and unfortunately there are many many many of them out there because many parents are substandard, it doesn't change the fact that kids are PEOPLE, not animals.

I love my dog, I hate children, but I don't ever think of my dog as people, or children as not-people. If a child is out of control in a restaurant, you can complain to a manager and more often than not, they will ask those people to leave. I have done this and seen it happen.

The main issue is should a buisness be allowed to do this, and the answer is yes. A buisness has the right to refuse service to children and dogs. There are a few restaurants that I know if in Austin and Round Rock that won't admit anyone under 21, I am talking about restaurants, not bars. There places that don't allow dogs too. It's the buisness owners choice. And if they lose buisness about it, that's their choice as well.
agree with you as Rand Paul says a business owner should be able to restrict who he deals with and a restuartant owner should be able to choice who he serves .everybody has the right to choose association

its about time those little dictators in suits stopped telling us what we can and cannot do in our private lives .

Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
you can *wish * it as much as you like but its a fact
some folks put kids and pets on the same footing you may not agree but

its their choice
Yes, it's their choice, but if it affects other people, then it is not their right.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
agree with you as Rand Paul says a business owner should be able to restrict who he deals with and a restuartant owner should be able to choice who he serves .everybody has the right to choose association

its about time those little dictators in suits stopped telling us what we can and cannot do in our private lives .
You are turning this into a big political angry thing, and it has nothing to do with that. Not every thread can be turned into an anti-governement, tea party, libertarian cause.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
You are turning this into a big political angry thing, and it has nothing to do with that. Not every thread can be turned into an anti-governement, tea party, libertarian cause.
Agreed. Simmer down. Restaurant owners have the right to refuse animals in their dining areas. Consumers have the freedom to choose where to eat, including dog friendly places.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:56 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quince View Post
I take my dogs to out with me sometimes to dog friendly places. Lots of folks bring dogs, I understand people who don't like it would rather eat elsewhere and that's ok too. I think the places I go to think it's good for business as displayed by the many dogs in tow. But we do have both options here in Austin so I think people on both sides of the coin can still be happy

Here is a link to the dog friendly places, depending on how you feel you can use it as a Go-to list or a stay away from list (although there seem to be more and more dog friendly places popping up)

DogFriendly.com's City Guide: Austin, Texas
Thanks for posting this! I've used this site before and it's very helpful.

I don't see any difference in the attitude of the OP and of those who turn their nose up when they see a dog on a restaurant patio. Both stances seem a bit unreasonable.

Come to think of it, I think 9 times out of 10 I'll take the well-behaved dog on the patio (which 99.99% of them are) over screaming or whining kids. More and more I find well-behaved kids to be the exception. Hygiene-wise, I'll wager the dog is less of a threat than the kid who probably JUST had his hand down his pants.

Aside: worse than unruly children at a restaurant are the kids who just gape at you from the adjacent booth...I find it unsettling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin