Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,981,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin=Heaven View Post
but yes if you pill on all the candy then you are canceling out... but that is why they offer fresh fruit...
So true. Since getting back on a health kick and eating better, I only add a little fruit (fresh chopped strawberry and some blueberries) and one spoon of granola to the Non-fat yogurt. Probably under 150 calories all said. Pretty tasty too.

I think it's probably possible to construct a 600+ calorie yogurt cup though, when loading up with all the candy.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Well, give it a few more tries.

We go to Froyoyo a lot near our house. It's a "build your own". It's not that hard after a while to peg the weight/price right on. I always shoot for $3 even, which means going a bit lighter on the yogurt and the fillings than the average person, but I can hit between "$2.80-$3.20 90% of the time without much mental effort.
Good tips. Now if I can only get my 3 year old toddler to stay within these rules, I'll be in good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
When the HEB 1/2 price coupons to Berry Cool run out, I'm going to be in b-i-g trouble!

It's probably good for me that TCBY doesn't have an Avery Ranch location!
Actually, the last self-serve yogurt place that I went to was that Caffe Yolly place in Avery Ranch after eating at Waterloo Icehouse next door. I have to say that it might be the best tasting self-serve yogurt place that I've been to. However, I haven't tried Berry Cool yet.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,447,370 times
Not to derail the thread completely; but I doubt many kids even know the difference between soft serve 'yogurt' and ice cream/milk. Even TCBY is known as T-C-B-Y, not the 'yogurt shop'.

I remember the legal wrangling with This Can't Be Yogurt and The Country's Best Yogurt and the dozens of shops(including TCBY) that opened and closed in Atlanta in the late '80s into the '90s. I would say at least half of the TCBY locations closed in the '90s. They took a big hit when the health dept. said they couldn't dispense soft serve into a container and re-freeze it in the display cooler. That was one of my favorite ways to purchase it...a hard-frozen 'super' of White Chocolate 'Mouse' or classic chocolate/vanilla swirl...YUM!!! There were even some late-night bargains to be had as they had to empty the machines and couldn't legally re-sell the 'frozen' product. Ah, the good old days.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:24 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,447,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
However, I haven't tried Berry Cool yet.
The 1431 location has 1/2 price coupons on the back of your HEB receipts(maybe 'til the end of the month?). The manager tells of a young lady who knocks down their larger cup filled with yogurt whenever she comes in(let's face it, it's just a milk shake ). $13 is the full-on retail price...under seven bucks with the coupon!

I am sad to see most of the places offering 'bottle' syrups as toppings. One new place on 1431 has the Hershey's bottles proudly displayed on the counter. While familiar to the moms, it's kind of a shame to serve 'healthy' yogurt with toppings that have 'sugar' and high-fructose corn syrup as the top two ingredients....never mind paying .35 to .50 an ounce for the stuff!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 AM

46 posts, read 93,849 times
They do sell take home containers as well.. The major cause of why many TCBYs closed was the company itself... Now Mrs. Field's Famous Brands (the cookie shop) owns them and they have revamped and bringing them back to Texas... In other states there are still lots of TCBYs.. but for whatever reason many pulled out in Texas back in the 90's. As a child my family and I would go to TCBY at least once a week when we lived in McAllen.

Thats why you trick your kids and you put the Sugar Free Chocolate candy;s on their yogurt! haha but that only last till a certain age. or someone get them to like fruit at a young age.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM

You are right though White Chocolate Mousse is amazing!! I'll def. be buying lots of take home of that flavor! And if I get a chance White Chocolate Mousse swirled with Mango Sorbet!!! Oh man taste like an orange dreamsicle (my childhood favorite from the Ice cream man that drove around).. Sorbets are great too esp. if you cant have much lactose but they do contain a tad bit more sugar.. and def amazing swirled with White Chocolate Mousse or the Greek.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM

I am sad to see most of the places offering 'bottle' syrups as toppings.

TCBY does have hot toppings that are not "out of the bottle" such as caramel, hot fudge, walnuts n syrup and a Sugar free hot fudge... but I do believe they do have a few of those bottle products as well... like peanut butter, just plain chocolate syrup... Gotta have it all to make sure you meet everone's needs right?!

Old 05-11-2012, 11:08 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin=Heaven View Post
Now Mrs. Field's Famous Brands (the cookie shop) owns them and they have revamped and bringing them back to Texas... In other states there are still lots of TCBYs.. but for whatever reason many pulled out in Texas back in the 90's. As a child my family and I would go to TCBY at least once a week when we lived in McAllen.
Here is some more interesting information. It sounds like these are all franchises other than one corporate owned prototype store according to the link below:

TCBY Revamps Store, Strategy - QSR magazine

Start-up costs for franchisees still seems a bit steep for a yogurt shop.

Training/Franchise Support - TCBY Franchise Development

Old 05-11-2012, 11:15 AM

haha you'd be surprised what a yogurt machine cost... The taylor machines more stores use are very expensive to operate (two plug systems) and run you about 12,000 + a machine (depending on your hook up)... That's 72,000 for just the machines... not to mention walk ins, build-out, signage, etc..... Based on my experience with restaurants a cool $300,000 would be expected..probably bout 150,000 in equipment and furniture... I'm guessing once they get the process down on self-serves the price will go down a bit... but probably not much... haha

Old 05-11-2012, 11:22 AM

I'm sure they have you use their General Contractors and Architects as well at least for the first few....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin