Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Walking to HEB is pretty uncommon. We live in SW Austin and while we can walk around our neighborhood, there are only a couple areas (right on William Cannon or else right near Slaughter/Escarpment) where you could walk to the store. It'd still be a little weird because you'd be walking down a divided highway, even if there are sidewalks.

I love SW Austin but there are very few parts of it that are walkable for functional (rather than recreational) reasons.
I don't know about that. We live in Circle C and I regularly walk to HEB and Starbucks as part of my daily walk (It's two miles from my house so it's four miles round trip, but there are a lot more people that live closer than we do)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 04:52 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Actually, we considered the Avery Ranch and Ranch at Brushy Creek area before purchasing. I'm not sure why we decided against it.

You make Avery Ranch sound nice, too! I think we picked an area of Round Rock that's just wrong. The neighborhood, itself, is nice. The surrounding areas are just wrong. I wasn't thinking about that when I forced my husband to agree to build in Lake Forest. LOL Avery Ranch and Ranch at Brushy Creek just seemed soooo far, but now I'm realizing it really isn't. My son's home football games are at Kelly Reeves, and it's really not that bad.

You live and you learn. My husband said we are going to die in our current house. I beg to differ. He just doesn't know there might be one more move in our future. I have to consider EVERYTHING next time.

But oops....I wasn't supposed to hijack this thread and turn it into something else besides TCBY/Parkside Vilage. Sorry!

To stay on topic....I'm going to drag my husband to TCBY this weekend!
AND we're getting ANOTHER yogurt place(AND a couple more eateries by the end of the year). For old time's sake, I wish we had a TCBY, but Cafe Yolly and Tutti Fruiti will do in a pinch, I reckon! From the Impact Newspaper...

New shops expected to begin opening by November

Avery Ranch residents will soon have an array of new retail offerings as developers finalize deals to complete the community’s commercial corridor.
Two new retail centers—or 43,500 square feet of new shopping space—will fill the final void at The Shops at Avery Ranch, said Matt Marshall, StoneCrest Investments project leasing director. Development deals have already been signed with Kidspa Austin, Avery Ranch Dance & Yoga, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Realty Austin, Tony C’s Pizza & Wine Bar, The League Kitchen & Tavern and Time Masters Clock & Watch Repair. An agreement is also pending with other retailers to fill the shops to capacity before even being fully constructed.

DW and I did some pet visits at the Mansions Apts past Lake Forest. It does seem to be 'out there' compared to Avery Ranch. Gattis School Rd ain't exactly South Congress, that's for sure! There are some very nice homes and something to be said for a brand new school for all the kiddos!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:52 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,853 times
Sure, I live 2 miles away from it as well. I'd walk there recreationally, but I'm not going to walk two miles carrying groceries....and I came from NYC where everybody carries groceries!

When people talk about a 'walkable neighborhood' they are usually referring to one of two very different things -- one that we definitely have in Circle C, which is 'can you walk anywhere you please - are there sidewalks/trails, is it safe' and then the much harder 'are the amenities within walking distance.'

I'd walk to Starbucks on a pretty day but probably not to get dry cleaning or milk. Most of Circle C isn't 'walkable' that way, with some exceptions if you're right near Slaughter.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:09 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
AND we're getting ANOTHER yogurt place(AND a couple more eateries by the end of the year). For old time's sake, I wish we had a TCBY, but Cafe Yolly and Tutti Fruiti will do in a pinch, I reckon! From the Impact Newspaper...

New shops expected to begin opening by November

Avery Ranch residents will soon have an array of new retail offerings as developers finalize deals to complete the community’s commercial corridor.
Two new retail centers—or 43,500 square feet of new shopping space—will fill the final void at The Shops at Avery Ranch, said Matt Marshall, StoneCrest Investments project leasing director. Development deals have already been signed with Kidspa Austin, Avery Ranch Dance & Yoga, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Realty Austin, Tony C’s Pizza & Wine Bar, The League Kitchen & Tavern and Time Masters Clock & Watch Repair. An agreement is also pending with other retailers to fill the shops to capacity before even being fully constructed.

DW and I did some pet visits at the Mansions Apts past Lake Forest. It does seem to be 'out there' compared to Avery Ranch. Gattis School Rd ain't exactly South Congress, that's for sure! There are some very nice homes and something to be said for a brand new school for all the kiddos!
Ooooooooo!!! Lucky you! I think I might just saunter around Avery Ranch this weekend, instead! LOL You always mention yummy eateries! Tony C's Pizza & Wine bar, you said?? Yes, please!! My two favorite things showcased in one spot!

But yesssss..ugggh...Gattis School road...uggggh! I kept telling myself the neighborhood is nice, and we have vehicles to venture outside of the surrounding area, so no biggie. NOPE. Now I see. Gattis School Rd is the enemy! LOL

But seriously, the area all up and down West Parmer is really nice....

Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Sure, I live 2 miles away from it as well. I'd walk there recreationally, but I'm not going to walk two miles carrying groceries....and I came from NYC where everybody carries groceries!

When people talk about a 'walkable neighborhood' they are usually referring to one of two very different things -- one that we definitely have in Circle C, which is 'can you walk anywhere you please - are there sidewalks/trails, is it safe' and then the much harder 'are the amenities within walking distance.'

I'd walk to Starbucks on a pretty day but probably not to get dry cleaning or milk. Most of Circle C isn't 'walkable' that way, with some exceptions if you're right near Slaughter.

I guess I should've clarified. I meant walk to HEB for grocery shopping. I grew up in Tokyo, and I love Nyc (visited several times) because it reminds me so much of Tokyo. There are no massive grocery stores in Tokyo....a lot of small markets. A lot of people shop daily for items on the menu for that night's dinner and can walk or ride their bike. I've become so "suburbanized" the past few decades, I forgot that there is such a thing as walking to the grocery store.

There are neighborhoods off of Burnet (Allandale, is it called?) that seem VERY walkable. Easy access to restaurants, shopping, etc.

But I guess I did question how walkable a big subdivision actually could be...cause first, you have to make it OUT of the development, then make your way to shopping, retail, etc.

Nevertheless, SW Austin still has become more attractive to me as of late. Nothing really against it before, but I guess I just never gave it consideration for whatever reason.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post

But seriously, the area all up and down West Parmer is really nice....
You can always venture a bit closer to MoPac to get the south Austin 'vibe'...
http://www.hardtailzchoppers.com/

Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM

27 posts, read 45,891 times
Seems like new construction has really slowed down in parkside village. Anyone know if anything else new is on the way??

Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM

46 posts, read 94,103 times
Thats because construction has slowed down... many places have tried to go into the open spots in the same building as TCBY but have been turned away due to parking... Not sure if they realized (which they should have knowing how movie theaters get especially alamo) but there simply isn't enough parking for alamo so it ventures into the other parking areas... A eatry would be crazy (even if they they were given the okay) to go in in those spots because Friday -Sunday there would be zero parking for their customers. Im hoping they ex the other two buildings they planned on putting in there and making it a parking lot to open up spaces for other places to come in... Although those parking lots will not be paved (do to green restrictions there has to be a certain amount of un paved area for aquiafer recharge) TCBY has been amazing though! as well as Alamo! The dentist there (Matt Horne) is also awesome! check him out if you are looking for a new dentist...

Old 01-14-2013, 03:28 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin=Heaven View Post
.... Not sure if they realized (which they should have knowing how movie theaters get especially alamo) but there simply isn't enough parking for alamo so it ventures into the other parking areas...
I went to see Jack Reacher at Alamo at Parkside Village, and had to park all the way almost behind ATT. Others parked in non-spots, along curbs which are not for parking. The theater was not even half full the night I went, for that movie, so parking does seem entirely inadequate.

As far as the Alamo itself, I was underwhelmed. No plans to go back. It's just not the same as the older venues. And for a newer venue, it's not in the same league as, for example, the Movie Tavern in Ft Worth.

I don't know, the entire experience seemed unimpressive to me. I might give it another try someday, but won't go out of my way to do so.

Steve

Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,942 times
Aside from TCBY and the Alamo, the shopping center is a bit of a disappointment. I thought Chipotle or Pei Wei would come in. A Jason's Deli would be great too. But, it is the same old, same old, nail place, mattresses????, wireless, dentist, dry cleaners, blah blah blah! Awful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin