Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM

21 posts, read 37,356 times

Advertisements

My husband might have a great job opportunity in Austin, but I'm kind of getting the impression that more people moving to Austin is a bad thing. We currently live in Kalispell, MT and can relate. We have a lot of people moving here and there aren't enough jobs and resources (especially electricity) are being stretched (and the cost of living keeps going up and up). But, I hate it here, and love it there (yeah, I'm a reptile, your summers don't scare me). My question: considering a 30-45 minute commute, are there towns around Austin that could handle more population growth where we wouldn't put such a strain on water and road usage? I don't want to not move, but I don't want to be part of the problem, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 PM

205 posts, read 739,230 times
You alone thinking not to strain the resources isn't gonna change anything.

Even with people moving here, there hasn't been any major electricity or water shortage issues. There are water restrictions but that has more to do with record drought than people relocating.

Some will argue that traffic congestion is solely due to people moving here. IMHO it has more to do with naive planning and pathetic implementation. Austin doesn't have that high population or number of cars to justify the horrendous traffic jams. People on this board have made some wonderful suggestions which actually should have been made by TxDOT for which they are paid :
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...portation.html

Coming back to your question, it really depends on where you work, which you haven't mentioned. If you are gonna work somewhere near downtown and plan to live 30-45 away, you will be actually putting more stress on the roads..!!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 PM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times
Don't believe everything you read here. If you don't want to put a strain on road usage then why would you consider a 30-45 minute commute? I commute because my wife already owned a home in the burbs when I met her. At the time I rented within 2 miles from work.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
Don't believe everything you read here. If you don't want to put a strain on road usage then why would you consider a 30-45 minute commute? I commute because my wife already owned a home in the burbs when I met her. At the time I rented within 2 miles from work.
Good that you said that, I didn't think of it that way, and I should have been more clear on the job location. I want to say that it would be near Hwy 183. I was thinking the road congestion was more, how do I say this, in the middle of Austin?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:08 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
The best thing you could do is to live close to where you work so you will minimize the commuting miles you contribute. 183 runs diagonally all the way thru Austin, so just saying 183 doesn't narrow it down much. Near Hwy 183 and what?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunapath View Post
Good that you said that, I didn't think of it that way, and I should have been more clear on the job location. I want to say that it would be near Hwy 183. I was thinking the road congestion was more, how do I say this, in the middle of Austin?
The traffic patterns in Austin are strange and its not focused on downtown. As mentioned if you give us a general intersection recommendations can be made from there. There are certain sections of 183 that would be better to commute to.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
The traffic patterns in Austin are strange and its not focused on downtown. As mentioned if you give us a general intersection recommendations can be made from there. There are certain sections of 183 that would be better to commute to.
183 up NW can be very congested from downtown all the way to Leander, but here numerous nice places to live up there. Near 183 on the east side of town there are not many desirable places to live, lots of poverty and industrial areas. 183 SW becomes pretty rural once it gets past the airport.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:34 PM

Ok, I got the store number from the hubs and looked it up, it's on Anderson Ln. near Hwy (?) 1.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunapath View Post
Ok, I got the store number from the hubs and looked it up, it's on Anderson Ln. near Hwy (?) 1.
Anderson Lane & Mopac (aka Hwy or Loop 1) is a nice area. Built out & 5-6 miles north of downtown. Are you looking to buy or rent? How much do you want to spend? Schools an issue?

& i'm gloomy gus who generally encourages folks NOT to move down (unless they have a good job lined up). But you're a reptile & you sound nice & sound like you care. So come on down.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Yep Hwy 1 is also called Mopac. I have lived or worked in the area for the past 6 years. You should not have a problem finding something decent nearby depending on your criteria. Possibly even biking or walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin