Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 PM

63 posts, read 127,749 times

Advertisements

Is it any good? Does it have Sunday coupons? If there aren't any local papers, what others do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 01:55 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Hill Country News and Community Impact are the only two I have seen and that was oil changes/buy 1 dinner get the other half off type of coupons.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:43 PM

554 posts, read 1,746,383 times
Those papers are both free, the paper you subscribe to is Austin American Statesman. We dont have a subscription to the paper but still get a lot of coupons by mail or online.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
Cedar Park Citizen too. They come out on Wednesday and Thursday I think. Not mnay coupons.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:42 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
The Statesman has a fair assortment of coupons on Sunday(typical branded product coups). You can subscribe to Fri/Sat/Sun delivery for sure(or possibly Sunday only). We also receive a 're-hash' of one section of ads/coupons in the mail mid-week. Plenty of pizza ads along with Steak and Shake-type ads in this section. I have no idea what zip codes receive this mailer.

If you want a great combo of restaurant Buy 1 Get 'something' coupons, I highly recommend the Entertainment Book. 2011 is about to expire and the new books will be shipped soon. You can 'preview' some of the coupons on their web site. Takes us about three days to recoup our cost for the book. Plenty of casual dining coups, car wash coups and more fast-food coups than anyone should ever use.

Vista Ridge HS sells a very local 'coupon' book to raise funds for the football team. Also well worth the money. Lots of businesses in CP, Leander and surrounding area support this book. Again, plenty of casual dining coups...good way to get to know the local restaurants.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:10 PM

63 posts, read 127,749 times
I guess I should have added that I would like to be informed about the local government going-ons(commission meetings/school board/bonds/etc.), and general city-based news articles(local events and what not).

I know some cities have a poor local newspaper, so I was just curious how these were. Coupons aren't essential, but they're good to have. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will have to look for the coupon books.

I am planning on subscribing to the Statesman, too. I just like to read what's happening locally, as well.

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful suggestions!

Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenlittle View Post
I guess I should have added that I would like to be informed about the local government going-ons(commission meetings/school board/bonds/etc.), and general city-based news articles(local events and what not).

I know some cities have a poor local newspaper, so I was just curious how these were. Coupons aren't essential, but they're good to have. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will have to look for the coupon books.

I am planning on subscribing to the Statesman, too. I just like to read what's happening locally, as well.

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful suggestions!
The best snapshot of local business and community activity would be the Community Impact Newspaper mentioned by neddy. The web site is a bit more up-to-date, but the print edition is a good look at business openings/closings, developments and political shenanigans. The coupons in the print editions are somewhat location-specific; but I understand the cost of advertising with them is prohibitive for many small businesses. They frequently showcase an area with maps showing locations of retail/restaurants, etc.

Depending on where you are in Cedar Park, you'll want to watch the actions of north Austin, Leander, Round Rock...since those are your 'neighbors'. Also, being in Williamson County will be a bit 'different' from Travis County(where most of Austin is located).

Lastly, you can sign up for e-lerts from the Statesman and Austin Business Chronicle to keep up to date on various topics.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:52 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
Hill Country News is the one they keep on insisting on dropping off on my driveway every Thurs. It's amusingly small town in scope. I guess I'm paying for this paper through my taxes.

I do like the Community Impact paper. I didn't appreciate it when I was in NW Austin, but now that I'm a little farther out I like reading about the various businesses popping up nearby.

Statesman also insists on dropping off an XL paper on Sat. I think they've identified my neighborhood as an area for extra advertising due to either demographics or lack of newspaper subscriptions.

If you want coupons, Statesman is your best best. They do a weekend only paper subscription. I seem to get a lot of coupons in the mailbox on Wednesdays too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin