Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 08:37 PM

243 posts, read 279,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. McFadden View Post
Jay, you seem to have had some difficulty reading what I wrote. My initial scenario dealt with fairly constant exposure to smokers in the park who were just five to fifty feet away. Under those conditions a simple 200 million years of exposure would produce a lung cancer.

You then go on to say, " there is really no reason to argue with people who insist that second hand smoke is negligible." Jay, I say no such thing as an absolute: if you were locked in a phone booth with 80 burning cigarettes (which is what some of these studies have done in terms of rat concentrations) then yes, the smoke would certainly NOT be "negligible." In terms of encounters with smokers in a park or in a decently ventilated indoor setting however, they ARE negligible.

You then say, "Most doctors and cancer institutes disagree with you," and that's quite true. But the REASON they disagree is because they know that the fear of secondhand smoke and the bans that such fear will bring are an effective path toward pressuring smokers to quit.

And finally you say, "I can't argue with people who insist that water is dry, fire is cold, and smoking is healthy." Since I've insisted on none of the above I assume you are not talking to me there.
Brilliant post. Thanks for posting that. I wish you could speak to the Austin City Council.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
I think health danger from second-hand smoke in a large, open area is a stretch.

However, litter is a significant problem. We "adopted" a park one year and the task of cleaning up cigarette butts on the grounds was overwhelming.

I think a better solution than a ban would be to create designated smoking areas with fire-safe receptacles. The butts can't go in a regular trash can without risking a fire. Since there's really no place to discard cigarettes safely, they're extinguished on the ground or in the parking lot. I suppose smokers could take discarded butts with them when they leave, but many people (non-smokers alike) won't even pick up a water bottle, let alone take cigarette butts with them.

Designated areas and proper receptacles are all that's needed. Anything greater than that is more government regulation than I think is desirable. Next step would be regulating legal activity in private homes, which is alarming. It is possible to compromise and protect the rights of those who want to stay away from smoke, and those who choose to smoke.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 PM

608 posts, read 593,022 times
Thanks for the kind words Austin. Ten years ago, before I'd gotten comfortable enough with the research to be confident in speaking about it, I used to get so frustrated when the Antismokers used to fly in all their big professionals from the SG office and suchlike to spout their "knowledge" and shut down the poor bar owners and ordinary people who didn't have much to go on other than a gut feeling that the mandated bans were wrong.

Heh, first time I spoke was at a NY City Council hearing in 2000: I remember being so uncertain about it all after listening to the skilled presentations that I simply mumbled some stuff about how once they banned smoking in the combo bar/restaurants they'd keep rolling on because they "wouldn't even want to smell smoke, or even see smokers smoking." Heh, you can imagine the amount of "Boy, is HE a nut!" eye-rolling that little speech got.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:28 PM

Capcat, if your true concern is litter I think you'd find more support among smokers if you dropped the ghetto area thing and simply pushed for a few more receptacles and perhaps an increase in fines for general littering.

There was a Councilman in California a number of years ago who was making a big thing about the increasing number of butts on the beach and using that argument to advance a beach ban. I sent him some research indicating that most of the beach butts were probably being washed up from storm sewer overflow catching all the butts from the smokers there who'd been thrown out onto the streets to smoke. I suggested the provision of separately ventilated smoking rooms in office buildings and allowing at least a moderate number of bars and restaurants to choose on their own whether to allow smoking.

Oddly enough, he never responded after that.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. McFadden View Post
Capcat, if your true concern is litter I think you'd find more support among smokers if you dropped the ghetto area thing and simply pushed for a few more receptacles and perhaps an increase in fines for general littering.

There was a Councilman in California a number of years ago who was making a big thing about the increasing number of butts on the beach and using that argument to advance a beach ban. I sent him some research indicating that most of the beach butts were probably being washed up from storm sewer overflow catching all the butts from the smokers there who'd been thrown out onto the streets to smoke. I suggested the provision of separately ventilated smoking rooms in office buildings and allowing at least a moderate number of bars and restaurants to choose on their own whether to allow smoking.

Oddly enough, he never responded after that.
Ghetto area thing? I don't understand that in reference to my post. My guess is that you're referring to designated smoking areas, but I'll wait for your explanation.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Ghetto area thing? I don't understand that in reference to my post. My guess is that you're referring to designated smoking areas, but I'll wait for your explanation.
Yes, the designated smoking areas. I gather you may not have noticed, but part of the social conditioning involved over the past ten years has been to deliberately make such areas as unpleasant as possible: ghettos. As Mayor Bloomberg said a year or so ago, his commitment is "to make smoking as difficult and expensive as possible."

Things like separately ventilated, comfortable, and attractive smoking lounges are thus completely unacceptable. Making the "designated areas" undesirable adds a little extra ooomph to the electro-shocks for conditioning the rats.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:58 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Exposure to second hand smoke in parks may not cause me to get lung cancer, but is sure as heck is unpleasant, and I should not be forced to inhale it.

As I mentioned before, it is akin to someone blasting loud music. The music won't kill me either, but I have a right not to be subjected to it. That's why blasting music is illegal. Smoke is no different.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:05 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Default smoking is GOOD for you!

After this thread we can now believe: Seriously, smoking isn't bad for you at all, it's just "the man" bringin yah down. Please, don't believe years and years of evidence, "they're" just tryin to brainwash yah! It's the government trying to control you!! Get yer guns!! This is Texas, we know different, we're an exception to the rule! Smoking is GOOD for you!! Smokers have "rights"!! picture of smokers lungs - Google Search

Old 10-19-2011, 06:07 AM

mm, you wrote, "Exposure to second hand smoke in parks may not cause me to get lung cancer, but is sure as heck is unpleasant, and I should not be forced to inhale it."

mm, if you wanted to campaign for a law to remove something from the parks that you found was unpleasant, I would have no severe objection (although I haven't really fully thought out the "shared commons" argument on that.) As long as you're not making false claims as part of that campaign.

You also wrote, "As I mentioned before, it is akin to someone blasting loud music. The music won't kill me either, but I have a right not to be subjected to it. That's why blasting music is illegal. Smoke is no different." mm, It's "akin" but by no means the same. Go back fifteen years ago and you could walk into hundreds of restaurants in Austin where they had rules against "blasting loud music" but very few with rules against smoking. Obviously most people felt there was indeed a very big difference. If you truly equate the two then you are obviously not in the mainstream.

- MJM

Old 10-19-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
After this thread we can now believe: Seriously, smoking isn't bad for you at all, it's just "the man" bringin yah down.
Toilet, would you care to point to anyplace here or in any of my hundred-odd postings on City Data where I have ever said anything like that? Of course you may simply be responding to others...

In terms of your "smokers lung" picture: while I don't know about the one you showed, are you aware that they used to send cops/healthfolks etc around to schools with blackened pigs lungs in jars while telling the students that they were human smokers' lungs?

- MJM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin