Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 15,938 times

Advertisements

hello. my husband just came up on orders to fort hood and we are looking for a house to rent. we are looking for a quiet, safe area close to post. we have children so we are really hoping to find a SAFE place to live. we have been focusing our search in copperas cove and found a rental located south of hwy-190 off of fm-116. does anyone know if this is a safe area?? i heard there's a 'good' side of town. any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 04:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
The crime rate in Copperas Cove is extremely low. Only 255.3 per thousand and that is mostly property crimes, with very little violent crime. Unemployment and poverty rates are both lower then Austin, TX which is considered a good place to live. //www.city-data.com/city/Copperas-Cove-Texas.html

The US Average is 319.2 per thousand. The crime rate in Austin is 442.8 per thousand and it is considered a very safe city (most of that is property crimes).

See these threads:

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...t-killeen.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...ve-job-tx.html

Old 10-20-2011, 04:37 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
You'll be fine anywhere in Copperas Cove. It's slower in pace and the crime is much lower than it's neighbor in Bell County. I would say most military family members choose that area over Killeen. Killeen is where the single military people live. That's not to say that Killeen is terrible for families itself. Some of the nicer neighborhoods in Cove are very hilly and newer schools have been built there.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:55 PM

thanks! we'll definitely be focusing our search in copperas cove. hopefully we can find a good, honest rental company... which i hear is nearly impossible to come by near military towns.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM

172 posts, read 564,065 times
Belton would be a good choice - it's not far from Ft. Hood & the schools are good - probably better than Cove. Definitely stay away from Killeen. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur~de~lis View Post
Belton would be a good choice - it's not far from Ft. Hood & the schools are good - probably better than Cove. Definitely stay away from Killeen. Good luck!
45 minute commute in traffic vs 15 minute commute in traffic. I say it's a no brainer to choose Cove. Maybe Heights if she was looking for some place else. But the area has grown so fast that they are starting to have some big city traffic now.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 PM

327 posts, read 766,971 times
I am not a big fan of CC. It's a pretty boring and desolate-looking area. I live in Killeen, but much closer to Harker Heights, which is a fairly nice area. You might want to try Harker Heights. Are you guys looking for a house or an apartment? I could recommend my apartment complex to you. It's pretty decent -- single level units, wooden tile flooring... Certainly better that most of the apartment complexes in Killeen. Check it out yourself: Killeen, TX Apartments, Bridgemoor Apartment Homes, Killeen, TX 76542, Apartment Homes for Rent in Killeen, Texas, near Foot Hood.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:23 PM

i would consider belton but the hubs doesn't want a 45 minute commute.. completely understandable. and we are looking for a house, can't deal with apartment living. although they do look pretty nice. thanks though! cove it is. could anyone suggest a realty company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin