Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,132 times

Advertisements

Is this combination possible in Austin? I'm in East Texas and looking to relocate to attend UT and just get a change of scenery. I have two school age kids (so I need a great school district), a decent apartment (nothing fancy but needs to be in a safe area), and close to UT. I have a vehicle and do not plan on using public transportation.

Am I living in a fantasy land trying to find all of these things?

Thanks! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,539,238 times
How close is close and what is your budget?

Old 10-20-2011, 05:28 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,115,098 times
Lots of apartments close to UT that go Lee Elementary (Hyde Park), great elementary school, great community, lots of UT faculty families. Very close to UT.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 AM

355 posts, read 923,659 times
Am I living in a fantasy land trying to find all of these things?

Maybe. What's your budget?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 AM

Thank you very much for the information. Hyde Park seems really cool and interesting. I'd like to pay less than $1000 a month. And by close I guess I mean less than a 15 minute drive? I come from a small town so I guess I'm not really used to traffic issues. I've heard in some cities it can take an hour to go 5 miles. Yikes!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times
You'd probably need at least a 2-2. For that, I'd think it would be more than 1K/month in the areas you are seeking. (These areas close to UT tend to be trendy/pricey) My friend rented a duplex in the Hyde Park area and it cost them 1100. Might i suggest this alternative -- move even farther in north Austin or to maybe or to a suburb like Round Rock, Pflugerville, or Cedar Park. And then be willing to take public transportation and save the wear and tear on your car. If you want good schools and a good price, then you either a) pay more or b) move farther out.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:01 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,115,098 times
Could you qualify for student housing? Married Student Housing on Lake Austin Blvd is safe, filled with kids, and Matthews Elementary is very good and close by (and filled with grad student kids).

Have you already been admitted to UT?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You'd probably need at least a 2-2. For that, I'd think it would be more than 1K/month in the areas you are seeking. (These areas close to UT tend to be trendy/pricey) My friend rented a duplex in the Hyde Park area and it cost them 1100. Might i suggest this alternative -- move even farther in north Austin or to maybe or to a suburb like Round Rock, Pflugerville, or Cedar Park. And then be willing to take public transportation and save the wear and tear on your car. If you want good schools and a good price, then you either a) pay more or b) move farther out.
Thanks for the info. I do need atleast a 2/2 but would prefer a 3/2. The most important thing to me is the school. I want my kids in a good sage school. If I have to travel further to achieve this I will do it.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Could you qualify for student housing? Married Student Housing on Lake Austin Blvd is safe, filled with kids, and Matthews Elementary is very good and close by (and filled with grad student kids).

Have you already been admitted to UT?
No I have not even applied yet. I'm looking to begin there next fall. So I'd be moving in the summer. Student housing? Is that something that is paid for by a scholarship? I was just planning on taking out mega student loans. And I'm not married, does that change anything?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 AM

662 posts, read 1,451,822 times
You could move to northwest Austin where there are excellent elementary schools, the rents are lower, and yet you wouldn't have such a long drive as if you lived in Round Rock or Pflugerville. There are many reasonably priced apartments around Davis or Doss elementaries, which are both exemplary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin