Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,852 times

Advertisements

We are considering whether we should relocate to Austin from Richmond, Virginia, but just feel it's a tough decision. Job is not an issue (just got offer), main concerns are public education (my son is 8 years old), house, weather, job market for future career, community, and the geographical location. Richmond is so close to everything (beach, mountain) and we like it, but also have been hearing all the good things about Austin.......

Any one has similar experience of moving from VA to Austin? any thought or suggestion will be appreciated. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 PM

139 posts, read 450,984 times
My husband and I moved from Richmond to Austin 2 years ago (I'm from Houston; he's from Richmond.) We lived in Charlottesville for 5 years before that, and don't regret the move to Austin one bit, even though we both have a soft spot for Virginia. I prefer the weather here to the weather in Richmond, even though it's hot - its not as humid and we can be outside all winter long. Beyond that, I think Austin is simply a much more enjoyable city than Richmond was - the food is great, the outdoor activities are better, and the people are more laidback and friendly.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 AM

34 posts, read 101,391 times
Is Austin really less humid than Richmond?

That is great news, I thought I would melt away in Austin.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:01 AM

Overall, yes, it's less humid here in Austin. In Richmond, even the winters are wet and damp.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,852 times
Default How about job market for IT professional

How about job market in Austin? Any Fortune 1000 or 500 companyies headquarted in Austin?

I also read many discussion about bugs and mosquitos? is it pretty serious there comparing with Richmond?

Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM

There are more bugs down here, but nothing that is unmanageable or really affects day-to-day life. In terms of companies, Dell, Whole Foods, Temple Inland, and Golfsmith are all HQ'd here. (I worked for Circuit City there in Richmond.) Overall job depth is much deeper on the IT side here in Austin, while it's deeper on the financial side there in Richmond. Since the overall market is much bigger here than it is in Richmond, I've found there are more job opportunities, but it's still not as deep as you would find in No. VA or another large city in Texas, like Houston or Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: